Sand Slide at Devil's Eye Aug 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
There was some discussion about the sandslide at Devils' Eye earlier this month over on the Cave Divers' Forum. The thread was closed over there.

We saw some sand/shells drop down under the Grim Reaper sign in the 30 foot room in the Eye. This covered up some of the Gold Line and a few divers were able to clear most of the sand off of the gold line. The sand/shells ended up down the bedding plane/45 degree slope into the 50 foot deep room where the Gold line and the sand screw was covered up. As of Thursday (8/24/23) when I dived there about 2-3 feet of Gold line was still covered up at the base of that bedding plane.

@Manatee Diver @kensuf and I all saw it early on; evaluated it and worked on uncovering the Gold line. I have come to the conclusion that it was an isolated event.

The Grim Reaper sign was relocated out of the depression that formed. The sign had been sitting in that depression area for many years prior to the sand/shells sliding further down into that hole.

There is precedent for working on clearing out obstructions like this. Several years ago we removed a HUGE boulder from Challenge sink that fell into the basin obstructing water flow by blocking the passageway. It was quite an undertaking

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom