what is DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my main concerns is that DIR and Halcyon happen to be so closely related. The hostile bias to any other manufacturer, other than the ones listed by the DIR advocates leaves a very cold feeling in me. My trust for the integrity of what is being promoted is overshadowed by this. I am compelled to question "is this just another very well conceived sales tool?". If it is, it is one of the most brilliant sales techniques that I have ever seen. It not only creates a need, and has a product to fill it. It does so in such a way as to create a dedicated following to it. All I can say is, if this is the case, it should be taught as "the" business model of the future.

I have meet very few DIR trained divers, and unfortunately, the ones I have meet were not very hospitable ambassadors. Until this "perceived" elite attitude by those who call themselves DIR Divers is addressed and changed. The whole concept and system of training will remain in jeopardy of disappearing, or at the very least, be relegated to near obscurity. To be practiced only in small parts of the world or among only a very few. This would be most unfortunate, because the DIR system has a lot to offer the diving community as a whole. Until that time, I will chose to distance myself from DIR. It is my hope that if and when it matures, I can then change my perception and opinion of DIR and approach it as a training and learning tool, free of the baggage it now appears to carry.

"one of the most brilliant sales techniques that I have ever seen."
But somehow still
"in jeopardy of disappearing, or at the very least, be relegated to near obscurity. To be practiced only in small parts of the world or among only a very few."

Neither of your concerns above are correct nor even logically compatible.

It is not just a brilliant sales technique and it is not at all in jeopardy of disappearing. In fact just the opposite is the case.

One of the reason GUE is able to so successfully promote *DIR for the masses* is the dedication of the instructor base and the enthusiasm of those who have benefited.

The GUE instructors that I am familiar with are not getting wealthy off of this by any stretch of the imagination... they are incredibly talented divers who obviously (to me) care enough about what they are teaching to make the sacrifices necessary to do so... (and put up with criticism from all the detractors.)

pt40fathoms once bubbled...

I have meet very few DIR trained divers, and unfortunately, the ones I have meet were not very hospitable ambassadors. Until this "perceived" elite attitude by those who call themselves DIR Divers is addressed and changed. The whole concept and system of training will remain in jeopardy of disappearing, or at the very least, be relegated to near obscurity. To be practiced only in small parts of the world or among only a very few. This would be most unfortunate, because the DIR system has a lot to offer the diving community as a whole. Until that time, I will chose to distance myself from DIR. It is my hope that if and when it matures, I can then change my perception and opinion of DIR and approach it as a training and learning tool, free of the baggage it now appears to carry.

Please dont distance yourself from the DIR system because some of it's advocates are arrogant and think they are god. It is NOT the system that needs to mature but some of the divers using it. Every time a diver asks me about my configuration and why i do it that way i try to give them examples of situations in which the DIR way works better, some divers even came up after diving and said they very much liked my setup without me saying a word at all. As fas as the Halcyon brand, i am sure other manufacturers will catch on and start making similar stuff, i think OMS now has a wing similar to the Halcyon ones on the market.

try to see past the arrogance and immaturity of some of the DIR people out there :)

all to commonly experienced by many people. It is this that is unfortunate.

I do however agree with Uncle Pug. I think DIR is here to stay through the efforts of GUE. Where GUE will succeed is through its use of non-confrontational methods of presenting its program to those interested. The more peoplpe that adopt the GUE methodology the less elitist DIR will be. Folks like PA/NJ diver, O-ring and Lost Yooper and many more who have shared their experiences and knowledge that there is a higher level of skill to be obtained. When obtained this higher level of skill results in a safer diver. That one result should be taken seriously by the entire dive community.

Gear configuration for various environments can be argued 'til the cows come home or the moon turn into cheese but divers need to accept the fact that possessing excellent skills is better for all of us.

I would encourage pt40fathoms and all divers to reconsider their view of DIR.

I am seriously considering taking the GUE Fundamentals course. I have seen enough posts from different divers to realize the value this course provides in terms of better skills that could save my life or someone else's any day.

At the same time, what I consider to be DIR's closed minded intransigence when it comes to gear casts a doubt in my mind. As others have posted here two of the top DIR guys sell different regs. in their store and obviously recommend as the best the product they carry. When you only see one specific product, brand, configuration, or techique as the right way and the best way in all situations, you are obviously being blind to the diverse ways, and tools, available for Doing It Right, and how the best setup must by necessity change in order to accomodate the different demands imposed by different environments and conditions. Not the other way around.

I think there is now an opportunity for GUE or someone else to market superior training to all regular divers. There are probably very few divers, who dive on a regular basis, who do not realize the importance of improving their skills.

Leave the holier than thou attitude behind and recognize diversity.

Peter

Diversity is a luxury of sports that do not involve imminent death due to action or misaction.

You can't talk to climbers about diversity, or sky divers.

Yes, there is a competitive marketplace for gear (and oh so many pretty colors), but deviation from accepted norms does not seem to be nearly as tolerated as it is for SCUBA diving.

Lurking here, and on Quest, and on techdiver over the past few months has disturbed me at the number of people who don't get it. Then again, they will look at my pitiful 30-something dives, and decide I don't know wtf I'm talking about.

But hey that's OK, I'm not responsible for the popularity or business success of Halcyon, GUE, or EE. And in fact, they seem to be doing well with just the spokespeople they have.

BTW, if you think you need to do something outside of the DIR methodology, you're likely wrong. If you're right... more power to you.
jeff

Jeff,

I understand your point about the proper way to do something. But don't confuse this to mean that there is only one path to properly achieve an objective.

I'll provide an analogy to explain my point.

Today both the American and Russian space programs are relatively safe. (outside the financial constraints which force both to take unnecessary risks, more so on the Russian program) Both have developed different equipment ( space suits, space crafts, etc. ) as well as different training methods. They can argue about who has the better gear and training, but I believe both sides recognize that the other has the right tools and training to competently and safely make a trip into space.

What I hear from the "strict" DIR folks is equivalent to the Americans saying that the Russian program sucks and only we know the right way to go to space and have the right equipment, or vice versa.

In my opinion the argument presented by the "strict" adherents refuses to consider "all" the evidence available exemplifying a fairly severe case of closed mindedness. In other words if you look at someone and all you see is their faults and then you look at yourself and all you see is good and positive, you are living an illusion, out of touch with the real world about you. Have you ever tried to talk some common sense to a cult member? I'll give you hint: save your bubbles.

Peter

jbd once bubbled...
Whats unfortunate is the way this was initially presented to the diving public. The whole DIR concept would have far more followers if it had been presented better in the beginning.

I have to agree. My first exposure to DIR was on other message boards and on articles I found while net surfing. GI and others came off sounding like egotistical jerks, but their staunch advocacy led me to do further research. As a result, I bought the DIRF book from GUE, and I am signed up for a DIRF class next weekend.

In my opinion, a lot of DIR guys are still jerks, but it isnt egotistical if you can actually back it up. GI saying he is the best would be egotistical, except for the fact that no other single diver or team not associated with WKPP has been able to duplicate his efforts.

As for me, I have let people know that I am finding a better way via DIR. But if they aren't interested or choose not to listen I am not going to hit them over their head with my backplate and call them a stroke. Instead, I hope that they notice an marked improvement in my skill level and develop their own interest from there.

my self I like every thing I see but one the wings (back bladder) I dont like them yes I have tried them and its my personal choice to contiune to dive the vest BC so I guess I will never be able to take part in this all though I do believe there core program from what I read is great !!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I do not get is why some people get bent out of shape at the idea that someone who has dedicated their whole life to a very specific sport, who single mindedly conditions his body etc. in pursuit of that sport, thinks of themselves as the best?!

Every sport has superior athletes. I do not know GI at all, and do not know whether he is or is not the best, but the bottom line is SOMEONE has to be. Frankly, that is the person, or methodology, I want to at least understand, if not emulate.

I am a busy executive, who does 50 dives a year. There is NO WAY that I will even come close to many members of this board who dive 100, 200, 500 times a year. That does not bother me in the slightest. In fact, that is the fun of being on the board-learning from my betters. Why is there such ill feeling over the idea that there ARE better divers?

BTW-to carry the US/Russia space program analogy another step-the US program made emergency egress a part of the design specs for the program from the very beginning. The Russian program did not-in my mind, that makes the US program better.

My $.02

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom