what is DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver once bubbled...
Does anyone know if it is possible to get copies of the tapes for ourselves so we can continue to review?
I am quite sure you will be able to get a copy...
But you might not want to see what it shows more than once :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I am quite sure you will be able to get a copy...
But you might not want to see what it shows more than once :D

Ahhh, but Unkie, I'm a glutton for punishment. Plus, I think it would do me good to review the tape every once in while along with the dive buddy I am taking the class with. That way we can continue to watch each other for improvement in our future dives and then compare what we saw during our dive to the tape. Kind of a way of refreshing ourselves. Or then again I could just be rambling on for no apparent reason...

Cave Diver once bubbled...
That way we can continue to watch each other for improvement in our future dives and then compare what we saw during our dive to the tape. Kind of a way of refreshing ourselves.
The video could be a means of encouraging yourselves to keep on keeping on.... seeing the progress you have made.

And I am glad to here that your are taking the class with a buddy... this is probably the most important (imo) element.

And after the class... as you say... you need to keep on refreshing yourselves in the skills you have learned. It would also be profitable to do an evaluation dive every once in a while with a more advanced DIR diver who can spot mistakes and point them out before you practice doing the wrong things and developing bad habits.

Uncle Pug once bubbled... And I am glad to here that your are taking the class with a buddy... this is probably the most important (imo) element.
Yup, I am fortunate to know an instructor who shares my interest in advancing our knowledge and diving skills. Doesn't hurt that he is also part owner of my LDS either.
And after the class... as you say... you need to keep on refreshing yourselves in the skills you have learned. It would also be profitable to do an evaluation dive every once in a while with a more advanced DIR diver who can spot mistakes and point them out before you practice doing the wrong things and developing bad habits.
Lucky for me I do know a more advanced diver. (Lance, this means you!)

Good Grief.... what have I done??!!!

My apologies to pt40fathoms as I have accidentally edited and then deleted his post while trying to reply to it....

Uncle Pug...
:confused:
give a monkey dynamite but don't be surprised if he blows up the house.

It's ok, All fixed now....

"one of the most brilliant sales techniques that I have ever seen."
But somehow still
"in jeopardy of disappearing, or at the very least, be relegated to near obscurity. To be practiced only in small parts of the world or among only a very few."

Neither of your concerns above are correct nor even logically compatible.

As to the correctness of my suspicions, I'll judge that in due course of time. However in respect to the logic; the mere fact that a sales technique is brilliant, does not negate the fact that it can have a reverse effect on the success of a company. You have only to realize that the launch of a product and the sustainability of the momentum of sales are completely separate. I was refering to the launch when I called the technique brilliant, and it is my fault for not making that clear.

One of the reason GUE is able to so successfully promote *DIR for the masses* is the dedication of the instructor base and the enthusiasm of those who have benefited.

The GUE instructors that I am familiar with are not getting wealthy off of this by any stretch of the imagination... they are incredibly talented divers who obviously (to me) care enough about what they are teaching to make the sacrifices necessary to do so... (and put up with criticism from all the detractors.) [/B]

..and it is they who will make the system successful. However the detractors are the least of their problems. It is the self proclaimed aristocrats who view all others as substandard, who are giving the instructors and DIR a hard time. The may see themselves as promoting, but in fact are pushing away many divers who would otherwise have been eagerly attracted.

The maturing that I spoke of, was in some ways a maturing in the training to include a concept of open hands and inviting attitudes; and the removal of derogatory of exclusionary terms and practices.

I hope this makes my previous post a little clearer, and hope that I have not offended you in stating my observations and concerns.

pt40fathoms once bubbled...
It's ok, All fixed now....

It is the self proclaimed aristocrats who view all others as substandard, who are giving the instructors and DIR a hard time. The may see themselves as promoting, but in fact are pushing away many divers who would otherwise have been eagerly attracted.

The maturing that I spoke of, was in some ways a maturing in the training to include a concept of open hands and inviting attitudes; and the removal of derogatory of exclusionary terms and practices.
I agree with this... and it is most unfortunate for those driven away... but also discouraging for those who are working hard and making sacrifices to promote DIR training out of pure motives and the desire to help others.

I am hopeful that maturity will come with growth and outstrip the negative effects of those who *promote* DIR only as a means of self-promotion...

It will be hard to maintain the elitist attitude when everyone is DIR... you will be assimilated...:wink:

Glad to see that not all DIR advocates are arrogant, but I have to say that almost all the DIR divers I have met, are very arrogant and inflexible. Shame because DIR principals have a solid base.
Lets hope that your right PUG, and soon the minority DIR group is a thing of the past, and we are all doin' it the right way, regardless of who told us how to do it.

DITRW Diver.

Most DIR rules are pretty inflexible. It is a holistic style of diving. The reason you you have to use the whole system is simply because so many skills are inter-dependent.

For instance, to stay streamline and create the smallest profile, you need to stay horizontally trim and neutrally bouyant. To accomplish this you generally have to bend your knees. If you flutter kick or drop your knees, your legs move out of the slipstream which creates drag and therefore defeats the whole purpose.

Arrogant, you'll find that there are a lot of folks who aren't. But as people have suggested, the arrogant and loud members are much more memorable.

For what its worth, the DIR instructors and most accomplished DIR divers are amazing in the water. They can stop and hold a position anywhere in the water column. They can move backwards in the same path that they were moving forward. They have excellent communcation skills underwater. That takes a lot of time and commitment to reach that bar. They can be a little arrogant, because they are a better diver than most.

Ken

divernva once bubbled...
. They can be a little arrogant, because they are a better diver than most.

Ken

I agree with all of the above Ken, except "They can be a little arrogant, because they are a better diver than most"

Part of being the BEST at something is also being humble.

A GOOD teacher is never arrogant, thats what makes them good.

A person with an arrogant attitude does not command respect.

Why would you listen to, and respect someone who is really pissing you off with their attitude?

Id rather listen to someone who has a friendly humble way about them, and tries to teach me rather than make me feel inferrior.

And Im also an advocate of DIR......

Dave

Back
Top Bottom