What is correct process to bring computer through security checkpoint?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_original_flyboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I am going to have my first "semi (work + pleasure) " dive trip tomorrow. I plan to check in all the gear except regulator and computer. I have a console type computer. What should I do when I pass through security check point at the airport? Should I bring it out from bag when I pass through the screening machine? Should I remove the battery? Do you typically check in your BC? Any tips would be greatly appreciate.

Thx.

RJ

Hi all,

I am going to have my first "semi (work + pleasure) " dive trip tomorrow. I plan to check in all the gear except regulator and computer. I have a console type computer. What should I do when I pass through security check point at the airport? Should I bring it out from bag when I pass through the screening machine? Should I remove the battery? Do you typically check in your BC? Any tips would be greatly appreciate.

Thx.

RJ

Do nothing. Let the screeners tell you what they want done. I have my regs and bottom timer in a bag. The airport in Florida didn't even take a second look. The screeners in Columbus looked inside and even swabbed it...

It'll be fine. If they ask what it is, just tell them.

I cheked my backplate through to the destination.

I check everything, including regs, BC and camera housing. Laptop, cameras and dive computers are carried on. I've only been asked a few times to bring out the computers, the AI Cobra gets the most attention and just explained what they were. No worries.

I traveled with communicaton masks, uw camera, uw video, and all dive gear. I get stopped everytime for the communication masks. They asked a few questions and I was sent on through. I check everything I can except for dive computers and I just leave it alone and let them ask me of they need to see something. I advise getting TSA locks for your dive gear bags. I now also split up my dive gear between different bags so if I lose one I don't lose everything. I also take pictures of everything before I leave the house. I notify my insurance company about everything I am taking and they require my pictures and manuals to be brought to the office. If anything happens my homeowner's policy covers it, including electronics. I pack lights and batteries.

I was on a trip recently and carried on my regs and computers. The TSA guys didn't even want to look at them other than through the X-Ray machine. Do not take your battery out of your computer unless you are going to check it. They could ask you to turn it on...which will be a problem without the battery. :wink:

Visit these two TSA webpages for more information than you'll ever want to know about what you can and can't carry on and check:Oh, and pay special attention to the amount of liquids you carry on. They are picky about that...small quantities (3 oz or less) that can all fit in one quart-sized ziplock bag.

I leave my console in my carry-on. If TSA wants to examine it, they can.

Once I got yelled at because I took it out and placed it next to my laptop.

I have a console type computer. What should I do when I pass through security check point at the airport? Should I bring it out from bag when I pass through the screening machine? Should I remove the battery?

I would not suggest removing your battery.

1.) it breaks the watertight seal on your compartment. every time you do that, you add risk of damage to the computer. Only remove the battery when you need to change it or for other maintenance.

2.) Most likely, if they even look at it much, they will want you to turn your computer on to see something on the screen. This is their way of verifying the computer is operational and that you haven't 'gutted it' and hidden anything inside the housing. You'll need your batteries in it for this.

most screeners have seen stuff like this before. IF they haven't they'll call over a supervisor and they will most likely have seen it.

printing out the TSA guidelines is always helpfull to carry with you.

Carry On or Check your gear? Guess it all depends on personal preference and whether replacements are easily available at your destination.

I always carry on all my comfort gear(computer, HID light, regulators, etc) unless I am going somewhere I can readily get replacements. Why? Airlines lose bags. They do it frequently. They do it repeatedly. If you have not experienced that consider yourself due.

I've only had a problem once in several years of frequent flying. That time a screener pulled my HID battery pack out of the housing. Holding it by its' connecting wire he turned to his supervisor and asked: "Is this a bomb?"

Pack your gear however you are comfortable and don't worry about it.

Once when we were going through an airport, we had a Save-A-Dive kit that we forgot to check and it was in the carry-on gear. TSA confiscated some very nice tools. Ooops. Won't make that mistake again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom