What is a "skin" and why do you use it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Sorry for the dumb question, I did try to look for threads on this.

I think I have heard that skins are a thin layer of flexible material worn inside a wetsuit or drysuit, and the purposes (I think) are to make donning and doffing a wetsuit or drysuit much easier and to provide extra thermal insulation. Is there a difference between Lycra skins and other materials? I see some Lycra skins selling for $25 - $35 and if they perform the above functions well I'd say it would be worth the money.

Any recommendations on material or manufacturers (or fitting)?

Thanks,

Bill

A "skin" is a Lycra suit that allows you to don and doff a tight-fitting wetsuit with greater ease.

I do not think that it adds any additional warmth. In fact, when you take off your wetsuit you will become cold in a wet "skin" if there is any wind (evaporative cooling).

Lycra is nice because it is very slippery. It should fit snugly but not tight. They stretch quite a bit so it's easy to find a good fit. A "skin" should have foot and thumb loops to prevent bunching-up when pulling on your wetsuit.

If you've got a really snug wetsuit then a "skin" is really, really nice to have.

The alternative is to get a wetsuit with zippers on the sleeve and legs. That way you can pull on the wetsuit easily, and then zip up the arms and legs to get a nice, tight fit.

IMO their only legitimate use is as a bare minimum protection from sun, abrasions and minor seal life. Oh and they fatten the bottom line of certain dive shops that are heavy promoters.

Many like them to ease donning their wetsuit but that's really masking a skill and/or fit problem.

Thermally they are worse than useless. Not only are they just wet fabric which is thermally worthless they can act as a conduit for water (heat) migration in an otherwise OK suit. People pay good money for a "rubber skin-in" suit or with bare skin internal panels. A Lycra dive skin is totally contrary to that strategy.

Let me put it this way, if they are barely used here in Maine please explain to me why they are God's gift to anyone south of here? (No, were not all in drysuits all of the time. :) )

On the right wearer they can be very appealing and if you want to prance around like a super hero without overheating in neoprene then knock yourself out.

Certain polypropylene undergarments are said to have some thermal value but not the Lycra/Spandex skins.

Pete

I have only ever purchased and used my .5mm skin for diving in warm waters for minor protection from jelly stings and such. As far as anything else I have still received sunburns through the .5mm skin so they have offered me pretty much no protection from the sun. And as Spectrum said the polypropylene does have some thermal value especially when its used with a drysuit. I used some military issue polypropylene when diving up in Canada with my drysuit and I was able to stay at a comfortable temp in 30 degree water for all the dives.

Although very thin neoprene suits and some multi-layer non-buoyant suits are called skins, the only true skin, I believe, is a lycra skin, the kind that rolls up into baseball sized ball. Ive used them for more than 30 years, and I still have a few frayed skins that go back almost that far. They are invaluable, wonderful, extraordinarily useful. They provide no thermal benefit, and were not intended to do so. I never dive without one. In very warm water, especially when snorkeling, they are all you need, providing excellent protection against the sun and the many tiny stinging creatures that are found in warm seas.

When wearing a wetsuit, even the Microprene and 1mm suits that I usually use while scuba diving in the tropics, my first layer is always a good quality lycra skin. They make putting a wetsuit on or taking it off infinitely easier. They are indispensable when wearing heavier suits in colder waters. I'm frequently puzzled when watching other divers pulling and tugging on their suits, often needing assistance. Had they been wearing a lycra suit their task would have been almost effortless.

As you point out, they are inexpensive. There is a considerable difference in quality, and some of these $25 bargain lycra skins are no bargan at all. Look for a good brand, a quality zipper, a flap that keeps the zipper away from skin contact, and a brand that offers a wide variety of sizes. Usually one or two sizes above what is suggested is a good idea, especially if the suit is unisex and the wearer is a male. A good lycra suit should be about $40 to $60, more or less, depending on where you buy it. Buying a so-called skin that is not really a skin, like one that claims to have thermal benefits and is not simply lycra, is not a good idea. Unless you wear a real skin underneath it.

Last edited:
It also gives me sun protection on my surface intervals when I take my wetsuit off. And, it's so much more pleasant to get that sticky, wet, wetsuit back on over my slippery skin than without the Lycra skin. No fussing with cream rinse, trying to don in the water or other nonsense that people recommend.

I actually found that wearing a Lycra top under my wetsuit helped me stay warmer. My theory was that the additional fabric slowed water circulation through the suit. Now, admittedly, this was a suit with fit issues. But it did help.

Although very thin neoprene suits and some multi-layer non-buoyant suits are called skins, the only true skin, I believe, is a lycra skin, the kind that rolls up into baseball sized ball. Ive used them for more than 30 years, and I still have a few frayed skins that go back almost that far. They are invaluable, wonderful, extraordinarily useful. They provide no thermal benefit, and were not intended to do so. I never dive without one. In very warm water, especially when snorkeling, they are all you need, providing excellent protection against the sun and the many tiny stinging creatures that are found in warm seas.

When wearing a wetsuit, even the Microprene and 1mm suits that I usually use while scuba diving in the tropics, my first layer is always a good quality lycra skin. They make putting a wetsuit on or taking it off infinitely easier. They are indispensable when wearing heavier suits in colder waters. I'm frequently puzzled when watching other divers pulling and tugging on their suits, often needing assistance. Had they been wearing a lycra suit their task would have been almost effortless.

As you point out, they are inexpensive. There is a considerable difference in quality, and some of these $25 bargain lycra skins are no bargan at all. Look for a good brand, a quality zipper, a flap that keeps the zipper away from skin contact, and a brand that offers a wide variety of sizes. Usually one or two sizes above what is suggested is a good idea, especially if the suit is unisex and the wearer is a male. A good lycra suit should be about $40 to $60, more or less, depending on where you buy it. Buying a so-called skin that is not really a skin, like one that claims to have thermal benefits and is not simply lycra, is not a good idea. Unless you wear a real skin underneath it.

Do they help getting a DRYSUIT on and off? I suppose not much....

I used to do commercial diving, doing a lot of running and activity for 5 hours per day, this will quickly cause chaffing problems.. behind the knees, crotch, under the arms, feet...Do not under-estimate the softening of skin caused by prolonged submergence. A dive skin (and socks) under the dive boots, help a lot.

A dive skin provides negligible thermal protection and when worn alone, it is actually COOLER than wearing nothing on the boat. As long as you keep the skin wet, the evaporative cooling will allow you to be pretty comfortable in the sun in temps over 85 degrees...

If you wear ANY clothing under a normal wetsuit, it will increase thermal protection if the suit is too big. I've seen people wear full cotton sweatshirts or wool sweaters under wetsuits... not great, but it helps if the suit is baggy.

For the last 10 years or so, I also use a full lycra dive hood. Inexpensive, and really great for sun protection on the boat (and snorkeling), you can pull the chin up and completely cover your lips on the boat.. I don't wear it under a neoprene hood.. not necessary.

It is also surprising that a skin will provide near 100% protection from marine stingers (jellyfish, fire coral). Most stingers fire based on mechanical and chemical stimulation (I think).. so the lycra protects you because the chemical signature of tissue is blocked.. maybe?

I remember seeing my first one in cozumel, a fat guy laying in a lounge chair during the lunch break wearing a skin tight suit... What a DORK... Now, I am that dork...I've only had one piece of cancer cut out of my face so far..

Back
Top Bottom