What is a semi dry wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's either a suit from an honest manufacturer, a suit which price isn't inflated, or both. :wink:

Be glad you don't have to run around dripping wet justifying an oxymoron after a dive. :D

... are we talking girlfriends now or still suits ? :wink:

My Semi dry employs a drysuit neck, wrist and ankle seals as well as a dry suit zipper. It's a 6.5 mil neoprene that acts like a drysuit, but has no valves for air. The seals are set up just like a drysuit and work with the hood boots and gloves to minimize any water entry. Active range is 38 to 70 deg.

Fit on the seals is primary for the suit to work, because it is not like a wetsuit in body fit. There is some space in the suit. You must burb the air out before sealing and the warm water that I use keeps any water leaks at bay for while.

A semi dry is just that. The suit attempts to limit any water in the suit and thus maximize the warmth. If the seals are really good, you will only have your own sweat (another reason why add warm water), as the moisture in the suit.

My suit works very well for me. It's also a far cry from the expense of a drysuit. Please do not get me wrong, a drysuit has a definate purpose if you do a lot of cold water diving. But for me, the semi dry fits all of my current needs.

Enjoy the ride.
:mean:

MaresMan1 once bubbled...
You must burb the air out before sealing and the warm water that I use keeps any water leaks at bay for while.

How long does this water actually keep you warm? Isn't the effect even more chilling as the warm water is replaced with the cold?

jiveturkey once bubbled...

How long does this water actually keep you warm? Isn't the effect even more chilling as the warm water is replaced with the cold?

If the seals and fit are right, there should be very little water circulation. I've dove my Bare 7mm semi at 39 degrees in comfort.

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
... are we talking girlfriends now or still suits ? :wink:

Still suit? Like from Dune? You just gave me an idea...

I'll post it in Scuba Humor...

Hehehehe.

-B.

I use a SeaElite 7/5 mil Semi-dry. The neckseal is something less than a dry-suit. The same goes for the wrist and ankle seals. It has a 2 mil dam that goes around the shoulders that limits the water flow. Another one sits under the less-than-dry-suit zipper. The suit is hard to get on without ankle zippers (available on custom suits) and takes some practice. Knee high nylons greatly help. I use it with a dry suit hood because of the neck seal. It requires 10-12 lbs less weight on the weight belt than the standard 2-piece 7 mil suit and is just as warm if not warmer. I have dove this suit in 45 degree water, multiple times, and felt comfortable. I have never felt any squeeze. I definitely get wet! In that regard, a dry-suit would be much nicer however, this suit costs about one fourth as much as a cheap dry suit. It seems to be well made. There are others around. Besides the ones already mentioned, Akona makes what appears to be a nice 7 mil. :)

I can't afford a dry suit and I would rather not go back to a 2 piece wet suit. :D

Hope this helps a little.

Back
Top Bottom