What is a dive snob?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only true snobbishness is Florida's (I guess specifically the Keys) ridiculous claim that they are the world capital of diving. Oh Please. there are so many more diverse and fantastic places and if that's the attitude that prevails then I'll never dive there
Dude! Don't hate us for marketing ourselves! :D To be clear, it's only Key Largo that considers itself the Dive Capital of the World. Why? We have more dive ops than gas stations, the single largest PADI Instructor Development Center in the world and it's the headquarters of REEF, Coral Restoration and even ScubaBoard. Yeah, we even have a sign:

welcome1.jpg

Dude! Don't hate us for marketing ourselves! :D To be clear, it's only Key Largo that considers itself the Dive Capital of the World. Why? We have more dive ops than gas stations, the single largest PADI Instructor Development Center in the world and it's the headquarters of REEF, Coral Restoration and even ScubaBoard. Yeah, we even have a sign:

welcome1.jpg
I inquired once about FL diving and where I should go. Within about 2 hours I had about six spam pm's from operators trying to get me booked on their boats. I can't remember if any were from Key Largo but I thought, Wow! These people don't screw around!
They must have someone camped out on SB all the time.

I love Key Largo and I fly across the country (I'm in Calif) twice a year to get my fix. More dive ops than you can count, great reefs and wrecks, and more variety from the neighboring keys if you really get bored with KL itself. Very Caribbean island kind of vibe, but directly connected to the airport by a main highway. And if you need a temporary break from island life, Miami is only an hour up the road. Really hard to beat that combination of easy access and great diving.

welcome1.jpg

Kind of like if I had a penny for favourite / best / greatest wreck dive in the world / smaller region, I'd be a rich man, right?

welcome1.jpg

Okay - I'll give you that, I mean you guys have a world series that no-one else is invited too, right?

Y'all do realise that if you sail out to sea, you won't fall off the edge of the world and that there aren't dragons and sea monsters. :D:wink::cool:

Perhaps the sign needs a disclamer

" KEY LARGO:, Dive Capital world EXCLUDING all the areas of the great wide world that that US citizens need a passport for" :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Y'all do realise that if you sail out to sea, you won't fall off the edge of the world and that there aren't dragons and sea monsters. :D:wink::cool:
You know, I dive all over the place. In fact, I could do ScubaBoard anywhere there is internet. But after two weeks in the Philippines, I'm certainly glad to be back home here in the Upper Keys.

You know, I dive all over the place. In fact, I could do ScubaBoard anywhere there is internet. But after two weeks in the Philippines, I'm certainly glad to be back home here in the Upper Keys.

I was just pulling your chain, couldn't resit it. I may even visit once the US realise that havign a Middle Eastern Visa doesn't mean you're a terrorist

There is no place like home, or where you choose home to be, that's for sure. I'm off to Indonesia for 3 weeks, but I'll be glad to get back to Dubai ( well apart from the high humidity and the 120F day time summer temps) Love getting back to my Villa and own bed

Key Largo is nice, I love the Spiegel Grove, Duane, and the Bibb. I would argue that SE FL has at least as nice, if not better, reefs, particularly, Boynton Beach. I chose to live here, I'm a snob.

If you think there is only one way to dive safely, you may be a dive snob.
If you think anyone certified after 1970 is just a bubble blower, you may be a dive snob.
If you think there is only one color of gear to wear, you may be a dive snob.
If you think it is important to maintain perfect trim while frog kicking in mid water, you may be a dive snob.
If you refuse to dive with anyone less experienced than you, you may be a dive snob.
If you think anyone who doesn't dive in your home waters cannot possibly be a good diver, you may be a dive snob.
If you look down on anyone who isn't diving the same gas as you, you may be a dive snob.
If you think fifteen feet is poor vis, you may be a dive snob.
If you say things like,"You're going to die if you (fill in the blank), you may be a dive snob.
If you tell others that you have more dives than is mathematically possible, you may be a dive snob.
If you've never given advice to a new diver, you may be a dive snob.
If you have "secret" dive sites, you may be a dive snob.
If your vacation underwater videos/photos contain selfies, you may be a dive snob.
If you roll your eyes or shake your head when you see new divers having problems gearing up/entering/exiting the water, you may be a dive snob with short memory of when you were new.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom