What is a dive snob?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seems to be that there are 2 definitions of dive snobs going on here in this thread.
  1. the one that likes to dive in warmer waters
  2. and one that seems to be better than others
i personally would love to dive with someone with way more experience than
so which one are you?

I think you meant one that "seems to think he or she is better than others".
Even if they are " better or more experienced it does not excuse their snobbish attitude toward others.
I also like to surf but I one thing I hate is surfing with those who have a real negative attitude toward others in the water.
They maybe great surfers but their attitude "stinks" it ruins my experience, and I don't wish o become that type of person so I try to avoid because who you choose to hang around with is who you are more likely to become like.

Frank G

I also like to surf but I one thing I hate is surfing with those who have a real negative attitude toward others in the water.
They maybe great surfers but their attitude "stinks" it ruins my experience, and I don't wish o become that type of person so I try to avoid because who you choose to hang around with is who you are more likely to become like.

Frank G
Before I even looked I knew you had to surf in San Diego.... I have seen more fights between surfers there than any other place I have surfed!!!

I can handle the people who will only dive warm waters - that's totally fine. The ones that really annoy me are the divers who talk down to other divers. Who cares if someone has less dives then someone else or what gear they use or the experience they have. If they are reliable and a good buddy just get in the dang water and dive.

its not that i dont like to dive cold waters - we just don have them around here. i mean the gulf of mexico can get cold, but where i am at there is not much to see unless you go out to the rigs to do some spearfishing for amberjack and then you better don a 5mm suit at that time

Interestingly the word "snob" nowadays is generally used to mean someone who looks down on those they feel are beneath them.

However, before it evolved, the word originally meant those who pretended to be better than they were to try and impress their peers. So in scuba terms that probably includes most of the DIR community and every Australian ever...

_poke bear.jpg

lol -- on a lighter note -- sometimes poking the bear can get you bit LOL

I thought it was the WKPP "Doing it Right" divers, who wore all black, bungeed octo and long-hose primary etc, and who supposedly called the rest of us, "strokes", which cut us ordinary divers to the quick, since we were very insecure ;-)

Or is that ancient history???

I have been accused of being a dive snob since I tend to dive from my own boat with the same 3 or 4 people about 99% of the time. It's not that I don't like diving with others, I quite enjoy it on occasion, but when I have a great boat, and reliable buddies... Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A huge part of the reason I prefer this is due to my photography habit. It's really difficult to get a clean shot on a wreck when you are diving with two charter boats up top. Having said that, it certainly isn't impossible with the right timing... This pic was just such an occasion... I headed down before the others in my group to be ready fro them, and came across this random straggler from the other boat (Turned out to be a friend, but I didn't know it at the time, and he didn't even see me!) Most of the time, when there's a group on the wreck someone will manage to kick the crap out of everything, so backscatter gets tricky to manage. Random limbs quickly become problematic as well when shooting with a 10mm fisheye lens~ :)

So ya, I'm a dive snob. I counter it by sometimes grabbing a random friend to come along, which I am doing this weekend!

FC Danny FINAL small © DSC_9699.jpg

Last edited:
I think the people who are diving snobs were snobs way before they got into diving. The ones that are into scuba just apply their snobbery to diving. I'm sure there are snobs in all aspects of life, and the ones who are snobbish will always be that way regardless of the activity they pursue or the company they prefer to associate with.
I don't think scuba diving has any more snobs per capita than any other sport. The only thing I do notice is that the more money a sport or activity costs the more the snobs are attracted to it. That seems to be one trait common amongst snobs, they like to outspend everyone else.
I must not be too snobbish then being I'm about the cheapest bastard on the planet.

If you want to see real snobs (snobs on steroids) just go to a Concourse DeElegance vintage car show in Pebble Beach, those guys are over the top!!!

Who cares if someone has less dives then someone else or what gear they use or the experience they have. If they are reliable and a good buddy just get in the dang water and dive.
Quoted for truth

Back
Top Bottom