What is 84 - 42????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:shocked2: Nice work, you're a much braver person than I! I gave up diving in a wetsuit after it hit 10C and got a drysuit. It was one day were we were on our third long dive of the day and I was shaking so bad from the cold I couldn't take any more pictures and I thought "$1500 is not that much." :rofl3: Money well spent.

10C (50F)? That temperature is fine. My hands don't even go numb during a 30 minute dive.

I only have 12 dives in cold water. I'd say 90% of the guys I dove with used a drysuit. Watching them suit up looks really annoying. The cost of the suit is WAY more money that a good wetsuit. Most the guys complain about being just as cold as me when they are in the water. The only advantage I have seen is that getting out of your suit on the boat/shore is warmer because you are dry.

In my area, once the above water temperature drops below 5C (41F) it is too cold to get out of the wetsuit and a drysuit makes sense. However, NTD just pulled all the mooring buoys from the wrecks for the winter. So at this point I'd have to free descent in cold water, light to heavy current and poor viz. Skill level is not there yet. So I'll continue to dive wet. From May to September is fine because of the above water temperature is good enough to duff and don a wetsuit (10C+).

That's cold! Coldest I've been in is just 46F, and with a wetsuit, so I was freezing my butt off.

I've done 38F in a wetsuit. After a dive time of 20 minutes I'm ready to get out even with 1500 psi in the tank.

I dive frequently in 44-50F water in my wetsuit and while cold I can tolerate it for the whole duration of the dive,

I've done 38F in a wetsuit. After a dive time of 20 minutes I'm ready to get out even with 1500 psi in the tank.

I dive frequently in 44-50F water in my wetsuit and while cold I can tolerate it for the whole duration of the dive,

I think this is a :hijack: Scott. Sorry dude. My coldest is 36 degrees for 25 minutes and was on this dive (again I am the one taking the picture but am in fact in a 7mm wetsuit).

IMG_00061.JPG

I find that below 45 degrees I enjoy the dive but have a tougher time say I must dive a second one. Over 50 degrees, a full dive plus a full second dive is no real problem.

I think this is a :hijack: Scott. Sorry dude. My coldest is 36 degrees for 25 minutes and was on this dive (again I am the one taking the picture but am in fact in a 7mm wetsuit).

IMG_00061.JPG

I find that below 45 degrees I enjoy the dive but have a tougher time say I must dive a second one. Over 50 degrees, a full dive plus a full second dive is no real problem.
No problem, hijack away it's all good. lol. Those are some awesome pictures. I need to get you as my camera crew.

IMG_00061.JPG

That is a great picture. I do at least one dive a year in the 38F range in early May in a cold mountain lake in Alberta as I volunteer to help clean up the area under the docks before the boats move in for the tourist season.

I totally agree that one dive in a wetsuit in those temperatures is cold bu can be dealt with. There would have to be a really good reason for a repetative dive though. Getting back into a now freezing cold wet, wetsuit is not the most pleasent thing I've experienced.

My first ice dive was in a wetsuit at 36 degrees. My second was in a drysuit at about 42 degrees, and I was wishing I had my wetsuit, since I didn't have the right undergarments yet!

10C (50F)? That temperature is fine. My hands don't even go numb during a 30 minute dive.

Speak for yourself! Actually I do not get cold on the first two dives usually >40mins. I rarely do dives of 30mins or less. But on my third dive with a camera after about 60mins of not moving much, 10C is cold. Especially as the SI involve gearing up in the freezing wind and an air temperature of <10C.

Drysuit is far less hassle than a wetsuit I find. It is easier to dive in and as soon as you are done with the dive, you just take it off and drive home. It dries out faster than a wetsuit. Also even if you get a bit cold, as soon as you get out of the water you start warming up!

Speak for yourself! Actually I do not get cold on the first two dives usually >40mins. I rarely do dives of 30mins or less. But on my third dive with a camera after about 60mins of not moving much, 10C is cold. Especially as the SI involve gearing up in the freezing wind and an air temperature of <10C.

Drysuit is far less hassle than a wetsuit I find. It is easier to dive in and as soon as you are done with the dive, you just take it off and drive home. It dries out faster than a wetsuit. Also even if you get a bit cold, as soon as you get out of the water you start warming up!

hmmm, now I'm starting to think a drysuit is not that bad. doh. wife is going to kill me.

hmmm, now I'm starting to think a drysuit is not that bad. doh. wife is going to kill me.

:rofl3: Well, I consider it the best money I have spent diving so far :wink: I was reluctant at first too thinking how much cheaper wetsuits are. Luckily, my partner and I do not share finances, I just cough up for 50% for all our bills and the rest is mine, which is good as I think he would be shocked at how much I spent on diving :D

Back
Top Bottom