What is 84 - 42????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I can say Scott.......I have done 5 or 6 dives like that where the water was 39 degrees or less in a 7mm wetsuit.....but none in 2 years. I am convincing myself that this is only because I have been busy.....but it may be one of two other possibilities.

1) I book my time accordingly so that I am too busy to drive 2 hours each way for a 25 minute dive where I freeze butt off and my "outie becomes an innie: :rofl3:

OR

2) My dive buddy has told me never to talk to him again from about November to June because of the stupid temperatures I try to talk him into :rofl3:

I definitely need to get another picture because this one is old but these dives are fun.....even if they are very short.

OK, that just makes me feel like a total wuss......lol. Wow you Canadians are freaking crazy of course a good share of my ancestors came from just over the border and a good majority of my best friends are Canadian so what does that say about me? :rofl3:

All I can say Scott.......I have done 5 or 6 dives like that where the water was 39 degrees or less in a 7mm wetsuit.....but none in 2 years. I am convincing myself that this is only because I have been busy.....but it may be one of two other possibilities.

1) I book my time accordingly so that I am too busy to drive 2 hours each way for a 25 minute dive where I freeze butt off and my "outie becomes an innie: :rofl3:

OR

2) My dive buddy has told me never to talk to him again from about November to June because of the stupid temperatures I try to talk him into :rofl3:

I definitely need to get another picture because this one is old but these dives are fun.....even if they are very short.
One word my friend....Drysuit or is that two words?

I really enjoyed the colder water, the better viz it offers, the challenge of carrying what seems to be like 500 lbs of gear down the water wading through 8" of muck in a suit that feels like your wearing every piece of clothes you own. Come to think of it why do I enjoy it? :rofl3:

OK, that just makes me feel like a total wuss......lol. Wow you Canadians are freaking crazy of course a good share of my ancestors came from just over the border and a good majority of my best friends are Canadian so what does that say about me? :rofl3:

I used to dive down south only. My friends told me the water here ranges from 40F to 65F; I've actually seen 75F! ONCE :wink:

I used to think they were crazy to dive this in a wetsuit. Started diving here this year. Maybe my brain is frozen but I don't think it is that bad. I need better gloves for below 50F but I'm diving wet for a while at least. $200 for a wetsuit, $1000 for a dry suit? I'll wait.

Maybe we're not nuts, were just cheap? :D

Was this Gullivers or your bathtub :D.

75F was Picton on a night dive. Didn't even need gloves or a hood. Mind you, it was right off shore from Ducks Dive and I think I only went to 30' down, 50' out. Guys who had been diving for a decade or more never saw anything like it.

I used to dive down south only. My friends told me the water here ranges from 40F to 65F; I've actually seen 75F! ONCE :wink:

I used to think they were crazy to dive this in a wetsuit. Started diving here this year. Maybe my brain is frozen but I don't think it is that bad. I need better gloves for below 50F but I'm diving wet for a while at least. $200 for a wetsuit, $1000 for a dry suit? I'll wait.

Maybe we're not nuts, were just cheap? :D
LOL, You know it's funny I have actually been colder in 84F water than I was in the 42F. I was diving Caracua a few years back and decided to do the shorts and tee shirt thing and was probably as cold as I have ever been diving. In 42F it really is a choice of Drysuit or don't dive so a no brainer for me anyway.

Regards

OK, that just makes me feel like a total wuss......lol. Wow you Canadians are freaking crazy

I'll take that like a compliment. I can follow many of my drysuited friends in the coldest water for as long as them. The trick is to have the right kind of mittens (try the Waterproof Crux), underskin and neoprene socks.

IMG_0009.JPG

How do you change out of a wetsuit in the snow?

IMG_0009.JPG

I know what you mean Scott. This water was about 38 degrees and yes that is a wetsuit. I took the picture and was obviously farther in the water. Very cold.

:shocked2: Nice work, you're a much braver person than I! I gave up diving in a wetsuit after it hit 10C and got a drysuit. It was one day were we were on our third long dive of the day and I was shaking so bad from the cold I couldn't take any more pictures and I thought "$1500 is not that much." :rofl3: Money well spent.

Back
Top Bottom