What Info On Diving The SC Lowcountry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DreadPirate:
You own a local ISP? :togo: My sympathies!

Hahahahhaaaaa! I know you were kidding, but there's a lot of truth in that! I can't tell you how rough it's been over the past few days.

I actually am originally from Beaufort, went to Beaufort Academy (go Eagles!), grew up around Pigeon Point and Hermitage, and still have family all over there from Ladys Island to Lobeco.

No kidding!

I've spent a lot of time in Arizona and New Jersey (of all places), but I was born here and I am a Southerner by blood. :D My family has been here for many generations - predating some of the local plantations. My great-great grandfather built The Oaks plantation on St. Helena Island. It's still in the family today, in fact... As is much of the land. I am related to quite a bit of the local population... All Godleys and McAlhaneys. Do you and I know each other? Are we related? I've got something like 12,000 direct relatives here in a town that's about 40,000 (including Hilton Head and surrounding).

Beaufort today has grown incredibly... It's a very popular retirement area, particularly for ex-Marines. Real estate has made many locals a small fortune.

Charleston... My sister goes to the College of Charleston, one of my first cousins owns a medical supply company in Charleston... And I used to volunteer at the Aquarium in Charleston. RavenC and I used to dive quite a bit with Charleston Scuba... I'm surprised that you and I don't already know each other.

Stay close... Maybe we'll get some diving in together this summer. :D

SCDiver:

I just took a quick look at the website, and it appears that you have numerous NC wrecks included in your database, which basically is AWOIS info. Might want to go through and clean that up.

I figured I'd drop into this thread and say hello too. I live in North Charleston, very near Freedom At Depth (Park Circle). I'm also from Beaufort, although went to Battery Creek, and I also do web programming / design. I outsource my hosting and program in ASP/VB.NET Maybe you've seen WCSC 5's hurricane center.. I made that in ASP when it first came out. The site technically is dated now, but they still use it. My main income comes from working in TV sports as a technical director though. my website: www.miketiffee.com

Been diving all my life, although haven't done any dives locally. Looking to change that. Just did my first cold water dive in SoCal last month at catalina. Going to St. Johns at the end of this month for 18 days, probably Brazil in May, maybe Hawaii for the summer.

Anyway, just thought it was funny to run across people with similar backgrounds and interests.

If anyone wants to talk about diving the Cooper, I can help. I have many dives in the river with several different operators, and have been out each Spring, Fall, and Winter. I have quite a nice collection of teeth. My wife tells me not to bring home any more. We just don't have room. Be glad to help anyone with info...better yet be glad get back and get in the water there again. Best time to dive it is when the water is in the 60 to 70 degree range. In that range it is not too cold and there are no algea blooms. I've been there when the water was 75 and the algea blooms were unreal.
Coberry, PM me. I live in Atl as well. I'll point you in the right direction. been 11 months since I was there...starting to get the itch again!

Dave

mtiffee:
I live in North Charleston, very near Freedom At Depth (Park Circle). I'm also from Beaufort, although went to Battery Creek, and I also do web programming / design.
Man, I had no idea there were so many of us. Welcome to the Lowcountry chapter of SCUBA Geeks Born in Beaufort (SGBB).

mtiffee:
Been diving all my life, although haven't done any dives locally. Looking to change that.
Absolutely! We have some great inshore and offshore diving here that people in other parts of the world envy. Get wet in our ditches and the pond!

mtiffee:
Going to St. Johns at the end of this month for 18 days, probably Brazil in May, maybe Hawaii for the summer.
We're headed to Ambergris Caye in September. I'm really looking forward to divng the second largest reef on the planet. Stop in at Larry's Landing in Cruz Bay, St. John. That was one of my favorite "dives" when I lived down there. Watch out for their "pour-your-own" policy, you'll be hammered before you know it.

DreadPirate:
Stop in at Larry's Landing in Cruz Bay, St. John. That was one of my favorite "dives" when I lived down there. Watch out for their "pour-your-own" policy, you'll be hammered before you know it.

I'll have to check it out.. I'm planning on staying at the Maho Bay camps from March31-April6, then move to St. Thomas April6-19. Still haven't decided where to stay on St. Thomas or who to dive with.. any suggestions?? I would like to get in around 25 or so dives, including the Rhone.

DreadPirate:
You own a local ISP? :togo: My sympathies! (Just kidding) I ran the Sales and Technical Support departments for the now-defunct A World Of Difference (AWOD) here in Charleston from 1994 to 1997. What chaos! But, I wouldn't trade that experience for the world. And, of course, it's always nice to have T1+ bandwidth available to use and abuse at your leisure. It's good to be king, sometimes.

I really do enjoy web programming and building servers, which is a good thing. Many years ago, I had to come to terms with the fact that I am not a bit visually creative. All those web designers that can sit down and whip out a dazzling interface in 30 minutes amaze me. Whenever I get too much of the "grass is greener" feeling though, I imagine them trying build, configure and lock down a dns server. Please don't burst my bubble by reminding me that many of them can, I really like that fatansy.

Thanks for any business you send us. Like you, I've got an expensive addiction (diving) that I can't seem to shake. We treat all our customers like gold, and I promise you will never be disappointed with the service you receive. (Now who sounds like a salesman?)

I actually am originally from Beaufort, went to Beaufort Academy (go Eagles!), grew up around Pigeon Point and Hermitage, and still have family all over there from Ladys Island to Lobeco. My wife is from Charleston and often asks me to take her down there and show her the places where I lived and played. I haven't been there in years though, what's it like these days?

Hey my sympathies, I went to Laurence Manning up until 10th grade and transferred to Clarendon Hall for my jr and sr years. Woa that was a long time ago, I graduated in 1992. How about u? :wazzup:

aue-mike:
I just took a quick look at the website, and it appears that you have numerous NC wrecks included in your database, which basically is AWOIS info. Might want to go through and clean that up.

Can you give me some specifics because I got all this in an access database from the SC Dept of Natural Resources. Its a work in progress (arent all websites, lol) so any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom