What in the Heck Happened Here...?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The common item in all these pictures is the use of a memory card to store the pictures until they are downloaded to your PC.

Unfortunately the use of a memory card cannot be avoided, and the only way to deal with it is to ensure that you avoid the cheap brands.

What you are seeing is a read/write error with the card itself. If you are lucky and the write function was performed correctly, then you need only to download the image again. The image quality can be verified by simply viewing the image from the cameras display, if it looks good, then it's probably good.

This is why you NEVER select the "delete after copy" option when you transfer the images to your PC from your camera or memory card. Always verify the transferred images first, then you can go ahead and delete them from the memory card. Secondly, you should always always copy the images to a CD as soon as you transfer them. Many people don't realize that the .JPG image format is a compression format, and e v e r y time you open the picture you are uncompressing it only to recompress it when you close it. This will cause the image to degrade over time, and the degradation is not recoverable. By putting it on a permanent media like a CD, you ensure that you have a clean original.

Hope this helps.

Dive safe and have fun..

Don,

I have the same camera but I have not had this same problem. I have, however, had problems before with transfering data from one device to another using SD cards. Some hardware is more sensitive to certain types of card brands. I double-checked the manual of the Sealife 310 and it does say to "use only approved quality SD cards." Of course, it did not list which brands were compatible in that section of the manual. I seemed to recall seeing a list somewhere in the information, maybe on that quick reference card?

I have a PNY brand SD card and it seems to work in only three of the four things I have which use SD cards. The SanDisc cards seem to (so far) work in everything. So maybe it has something to do with the particular SD card brand. That'd be my guess.

Good luck!

Tod:
Don,

I have the same camera but I have not had this same problem. I have, however, had problems before with transfering data from one device to another using SD cards. Some hardware is more sensitive to certain types of card brands. I double-checked the manual of the Sealife 310 and it does say to "use only approved quality SD cards." Of course, it did not list which brands were compatible in that section of the manual. I seemed to recall seeing a list somewhere in the information, maybe on that quick reference card?

I have a PNY brand SD card and it seems to work in only three of the four things I have which use SD cards. The SanDisc cards seem to (so far) work in everything. So maybe it has something to do with the particular SD card brand. That'd be my guess.

Good luck!

From: http://www.sealife-cameras.com/download/dc300manual.pdf page ii

Dang it, I can't copy that kind of site. Here are the brands approved: SanDisk, Kingston, Lexar, Panasonic, Ritek, Pretec, and Kodak. The card that I was using is a Lexar, the one I ordered is a Kingston. For some reason, they say only use cards up to 128 Mb?

DandyDon:

Dang it, I can't copy that kind of site. Here are the brands approved: SanDisk, Kingston, Lexar, Panasonic, Ritek, Pretec, and Kodak. The card that I was using is a Lexar, the one I ordered is a Kingston. For some reason, they say only use cards up to 128 Mb?

Ooops, I said PNY but I really meant PYN, which is one of those on that list. Thanks for the direction on where to find it. I knew I'd seen it written down somewhere.

I don't really know why they listed the 128 Mb limit, but I suspect it may only be because those are what they've tested in the camera with at the time they wrote their manual. (Since the industry keeps coming out with larger memory capacities all the time, and perhaps the technology changes somewhat when they do?) The card I use in my 310 is a 256 Mb, and I haven't had any problems with it reading/writing to the SD card.

Okee dokee - called the company. Nope, not a free call, and not everyone has free long distance, but I do. :D Ph 856-866-9192

The Technician left early today, but will be available tomorrow if anyone else wants to call. Her assistant said to the best of her knowledge...

(1) Yep, 128 Mb was the largest card available for testing when they developed the manual. Larger cards are probably okay. I cannot think of any reason why the capacity of the SD card would matter to the camera...?

(2) When scrambling occurs, to remove possible static electricity problems (a) Reformat the card, (b) and the camera without the card. I don't think I ever formatted the camera without a card, so that just could be where my problem came from.

Well, thanks for helping me with my research friends; this is where I am now...

DandyDon:

From Sealife's site: "We strongly advise using SanDisk, Panasonic or Toshiba brand SD memory cards. Any megabyte size from these brands is acceptable. These three companies are the co-developers of the SD card technology and conform to the SD standard communication format. These brands have been tested and approved by SeaLife cameras."

Maybe you should also update your firmware if it's outdated, though I'm not sure this would help with the problem.

ryanmacneil8448:
whats the problem they look fine :11ztongue
That's not the picture I shot. :silly:
SATPics077mLg2.jpg

Secure Digital was developed in an attempt to prevent hackers from accessing data (I believe music was the original purpose) from the media and sharing it. SD uses some form of encryption on top of already sensitive compression algorithims.

SD crossed over to the world of digital photography, or maybe the original designers had some intent to use it as a digtal photo storage media. However a main reason that it is used in camera's is not because it's the best format (IMO it's not), or that digital camera files need to be secured (they generally do not), or because there was not media available that would serve the purpose (there was) but because media is a big money maker. By using yet another propriatary format manufactures of digital camera would force consumers who don't give a second thought to media when making a camera decision into purchasing their media vs. other available media where competition was already strong.

They could also force giants like Lexar to purchase the licenses to use the format. Unfortunately when sales drive technology design, there is generally some fallout, and this is not the first case I've seen where SD consumers suffer because of unnecessary encryption, and a closed standard.

The reality is that SD was a LOT more expensive (it's come down to earth in price), and much more restrictive as a media type. I choose not to purchase digital products that make use of the media. Sony has a similar approach with their SmartCards, and I for one truely wish that these giants would pick a standard, and stick with it rather than having consumers pay the price because they attempt to force consumers into future purchases.

Imagine if every manufactures of DVD players, or CD players restricted their devices in such a way that one was forced to purchase different types of CD's for each brand of CD player. This is where digital media currently stands. Fortunately huge players like Canon and Nikon have stayed out of this to a huge degree, and most all DSLR's use CF cards. I've never had a CF card fail to work in a DSLR because it was brand X, and I own about half a dozed different makes.

I personally choose CF cards, and they have proven inexpensive, reliable, and robust. They are so widely used that Oly and others who originally were pushing more expensive and limited options have adopted the use of CF cards in most of there better models.

This does not help you Don, sorry. But it may help others to understand that media choice is something to consider when purchasing a digital camera.

Thanks Ron!

I was hoping someone who knew a lot about this stuff would take an interest and tell me/us a lot. And you did...

True, I already have 2 cams that use SD card, and a couple of large SD cards, so I guess I'll keep working with what I have.

But I will certainly keep your advice in mind if I find myself in a position to start over - like if I lose all of the above at once or something. Will CF cards and cameras be around? Remember how Beta video was lots better than VHS, but most of could only see the $20 difference in price and bought VHS - killing a superior product.

But I will start a CD library now, based on your advice - thanks much!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom