What in the Heck Happened Here...?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I have no idea what I'm doing with my Sealife DC310 (stop laughing :laughing: ) so I never come in here. I guess it might help if I lurked and read. Anyway, I am getting a little better with it, but used it this week only to take splash pictures of my family at a water park. Some came out okay, but these 4 - while looking fine on thumbnail previews are all chopped up on full display.

Is it the camera, the memory card, the computer I loaded to, the usually faulty operator? Surely someone has seen this before...??

Thanks for you help here...

Can you repeat the problem? (meaning does it keep doing it?)

perhaps formatting the memory car (in the setup section of the camera)

-mike

DandyDon:
I have no idea what I'm doing with my Sealife DC310 (stop laughing :laughing: ) so I never come in here. I guess it might help if I lurked and read. Anyway, I am getting a little better with it, but used it this week only to take splash pictures of my family at a water park. Some came out okay, but these 4 - while looking fine on thumbnail previews are all chopped up on full display.

Is it the camera, the memory card, the computer I loaded to, the usually faulty operator? Surely someone has seen this before...??

Thanks for you help here...

Don,

I have had this happen before. It's not operator error! LOL

I'm using a Canon Powershot...so I don't think it's your camera. Mine usually turn out just fine but once in a while this happens.

I'm sure it's either a glitch in the memory card or in the download process. I've not paid attention as to whether one memory card does it more than any other. But as with yours mine look fine on the preview and then after download look like they've been thru a chop shop.

First thing I'd try if I were you would be check your connections and then try downloading them again. If the same pics do it again then I would think it's gotta be a memory card issue. In that case try reformatting the card (on your camera) and take some more pics and see if it does it yet again.

Hope this helps. While I can't be sure what it is, I can at least assure you what it ain't. Best of luck!

Brian1968:
Don,

I have had this happen before. It's not operator error! LOL

I'm using a Canon Powershot...so I don't think it's your camera. Mine usually turn out just fine but once in a while this happens.

I'm sure it's either a glitch in the memory card or in the download process. I've not paid attention as to whether one memory card does it more than any other. But as with yours mine look fine on the preview and then after download look like they've been thru a chop shop.

First thing I'd try if I were you would be check your connections and then try downloading them again. If the same pics do it again then I would think it's gotta be a memory card issue. In that case try reformatting the card (on your camera) and take some more pics and see if it does it yet again.

Hope this helps. While I can't be sure what it is, I can at least assure you what it ain't. Best of luck!
Thanks for the reassurance. I was so frustrated that I posted this here for y'all to look at it, then feeling better - only then did I try downloading them to a different laptop, with a card reader. Same result. Got to be in the card, I think, especially with your comments.

I've since reformatted the card, and will shoot a couple dozen pics. If it happens again on this card, I'll try another card.

I wouldn't bother with film pics in all my years of traveling and a few diving, but with affordable digital - I'm trying. The housing has been replaced, the strobe arm is now in for repair for a broken collar, and now this. Some people should just stick to post cards - they always come out!! :silly:

I looked at your pics last night and now this morning while trying to download some pics off of a cd I get the same sort of screwed up pics. Something fishy here.
Ok false alarm. I used my 2nd cd drive and the pics transferred fine. My system really hates these no name CDs. It was strange though. The first pic I viewed looked just like yours except with different people in it.
Jeffrey

louisianadiver:
I wouldn't bother with film pics in all my years of traveling and a few diving,

Hey DandyDon. I know I'm a dinosaur, but if you did use film you wouldn't have to worry about things like this! -Clay
Yeah, I know Clay. I could just store all my rolls of film until I get back from Utila. They don't have processing there, you know. :eyemouth:

Oh, I think I'll take the lap top, two digi cams, card reader, etc so I can download, review, maybe edit every evening - then adjust my shooting for the next day, rather than the next trip. :D

There are lots of Blue Holes, even San Antonio has one, but you ever dive the one in Santa Rosa New Mexico...?? :bandit_2: Pretty exciting stuff eh?

But I was able to show these pics to my non-diving trip companion over lunch the same day. :sgrin:

DandyDon:
Yeah, I know Clay. I could just store all my rolls of film until I get back from Utila. They don't have processing there, you know. :eyemouth:

Oh, I think I'll take the lap top, two digi cams, card reader, etc so I can download, review, maybe edit every evening - then adjust my shooting for the next day, rather than the next trip. :D

There are lots of Blue Holes, even San Antonio has one, but you ever dive the one in Santa Rosa New Mexico...?? :bandit_2: Pretty exciting stuff eh?

But I was able to show these pics to my non-diving trip companion over lunch the same day. :sgrin:
don, i had this happen also(once) dont know what happend but here it is

jim ernst:
don, i had this happen also(once) dont know what happend but here it is
Yep, same thing. You ever have that happen again on that card & camera? It happened to the last 4 I took on my dive camera, but I am reformatted the card since. Actually, it's a 128Mb card I don't plan to use much longer; ordered a 512 Mb to replace it. My other card is a Full Gig, nice for little videos wanted on the spur of the moment.

Oh yeah, Clay, on that Family Trip - I was able to share 200 other pics with my family evening by evening on my lap top. Here are some others from the San Antonio Zoo's Lori Encounter. :biggrinba Clay is a hell of a diver and a good writer, but I don't know about his thing with film....?!

Back
Top Bottom