"What if ..?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TFrom an Instabuddy, when asked about the location of his octopus reg:
"Why would I spend $200 on a regulator for you?"

Sounds like some of you need to buddy up with this guy.

I'll take that as jest - but why is your opinion and decision "better" than another persons to enable you to judge in this way?

I don't believe there is any single correct answer to Trace's opening post, even if you bring it down to the individual... there's no single correct answer for ME. If I am in the position of the OP, it just depends... who the people are, what caused the event, the health of my parents, the phase of the moon, how narc'd I am.... and there is a certain Brownian aspect to the situation. If you could put someone in a simulator, and replicate the conditions identically each time... what they decide to do would be different each time.

Not to sound like Dad here but one thing about acually having kids is that it erases a lot of the "theoretical" from the discussion. I don't worry about time travelling cyborgs any more but I do worry what will happen if my kids get lost somewhere.

Don't worry Andy... your day is coming :D

I would have no problem choosing.

Another scenario: You are walking with a small child in the woods and are set upon by a predatory bear. You know if you abandon the child you will probably live as the bear will stop to eat the child. If you stay the bear will probably eat you. Would you be rationale and abandon the child or be irrational and stay?
BTW, that was one scenario I had to carefully consider as a scout leader.

Sorry, I missed this post before. I would stay. Death is a lot more uncertain in that situation so I would risk protecting them. But I would do the same for any person, not just a child. The age of the person has nothing to do with it. There are a lot more options when encountering bears in the wilderness than there are in a cave with only enough air for one person so I'm not sure it is a good analogy. But say it was a clear choice - the kid or me for the bear's dinner, my answer is the same as to Trace's example.

Not to sound like Dad here but one thing about acually having kids is that it erases a lot of the "theoretical" from the discussion. I don't worry about time travelling cyborgs any more but I do worry what will happen if my kids get lost somewhere.

And I have to worry about my partner, and my mother, and my sister and my brother and my friends.

Having a kid does not make you special, in that regard.

I know!

But you can't dodge the theoretical aspect of it.... it's inherently a theoretical question!

Ignoring the mutant-cyborg-ninja-turtles... :wink:

.... I still think it really depends on who the people are (in your lifeboat) and what you know about them. In my sister vs. paedophile case, if I knew that by saving the latter that I'd sentenced their child to a lifetime of sexual abuse... not a chance, single person all the way!

I guess what is interesting to me is the issue of "dependent child" vs "independent adult"... I (as a not-yet-parent) actually think that there is a real tragedy in a parent outliving their child that could muddy the waters.

I'll take that as jest - but why is your opinion and decision "better" than another persons to enable you to judge in this way?

I don't believe there is any single correct answer to Trace's opening post, even if you bring it down to the individual... there's no single correct answer for ME. If I am in the position of the OP, it just depends... who the people are, what caused the event, the health of my parents, the phase of the moon, how narc'd I am.... and there is a certain Brownian aspect to the situation. If you could put someone in a simulator, and replicate the conditions identically each time... what they decide to do would be different each time.

You're correct, I am injecting some humor.

I agree, everyone has got to make their own decision, and there's no correct answer -- EXCEPT that you can't place yourself in a hazardous situation with the intent of running away to save yourself UNLESS you inform your buddy of such intent.

Hey, if two consenting adults agree to cave dive together with the understanding that "You're on your own," then it's their business.

Trace is right, you've got to discuss these things with your buddy ahead of time.

And I have to worry about my partner, and my mother, and my sister and my brother and my friends.

Having a kid does not make you special, in that regard.

If you say so. It is interesting to note that none of those examples depend upon you for their daily needs or sense of security in the world and that you have stated that you have no intention of having children. So how exactly do you know it does not make one special? I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that the most dangerous animal of any species is a mother protecting it's young - not its parents or siblings or spouse. Why is that if there is nothing special about the relationship?

If you say so. It is interesting to note that none of those examples depend upon you for their daily needs or sense of security in the world and that you have stated that you have no intention of having children. So how exactly do you know it does not make one special? I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that the most dangerous animal of any species is a mother protecting it's young - not its parents or siblings or spouse. Why is that if there is nothing special about the relationship?

I would never presume to judge the relationships people have with others (kids, spouse, parent, etc) as to which is better or more special. There is no way to determine this and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

rob, (not really picking on you, anyone can answer) would any situational things matter? would it matter if your buddy were much younger, much older, had children, was single, cared for his/her aging mother, wasn't really a nice person, etc?

Obviously I can't really answer that without being in the situation but I can imagine my motivation being higher if it were someone close to me or maybe one of my students.

I could also imagine bailing sooner if the immediate danger was over and I thought the diver could save him/her- self from there. Such a scenario might occur if, for example, I had helped a highly experienced diver out of being ensnared in a net but in the process I took on a deco obligation that I had to try dealing with before surfacing. Once out of the net, if it were a skilled diver, I might sign "gotta go" and "abort/surface" and then leave them to handle their own ascent.

But all of this is just reading tea leaves, really. I won't know for sure until it happens.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom