what i learned from buying my first setup journey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
After searching for almost 5 months for my first scuba setup i finally purchased a complete set. I am sharing my little experience and hope that other new divers that are shopping for their first setup might benefit from it.

Since the plan for Summer and Fall 2003 is to DIVE DIVE DIVE, take classes, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, I decided to purchase my own SCUBA setup.

Why not rent ? Well, first off, the cost will eventually caught up to you. Also, since scuba is a very unforgiving sports that punishes divers mistakes with death, it is crucial that one knows one's equipment like the back of their hands. This is just impossible with rental. However, certain items like Tank is the exception. If you do a lot of localized diving, then buy your own tank. If you travel to Dive, save the hassle and just rent the tank.

When shopping for my first gear, my philosophy is : Get the best equipment possible for critical component and make sure that the equipment can grow along with your diving.

Below are my first SCUBA arsenal. All are brand new and comes with factory warranty

1) ScubaPro MK25 / S600
2) Scubapro R 380 Octo
3) Suunto SK 7 wrist Compass
4) Halcyon 27 lbs Pioneer Wing with Halcyon SS plate, Halcyon Harness & backplate pak
5) Halcyon ACB 20 weight system
6) Oceanic Pro Plus 2 AI computer
7) Mares 3mm Bootes
8) Aeries Velocity Open Foot Fins
9) Mares X-vision Mask
10) 2/3 mm rip curl classic full suit

Total Cost: $1650.00

* ScubaPro because of their long strong company history and product reputation. If it is good enough for the tech crowd, it must be overkill for a rec diver like me. The R380 is only $ 10 more than the R190 so i might as well get the smaller and higher end R380 octo. Forget titanium as they still have issues while dealing with other gas mix.

** Halcyon BP/WING system: I am not a DIR person nor a tech diver. Why do i choose this ?? MODULARITY and STREAMLINE. I believe that a BC must be able to grow with you. Halcyon allows me to configure my BC according to my needs. I can dive double, , adds d-rings, alloy plates ...etc with an easy switch. Also in the long run, total cost of ownership is much cheaper than regular BC. e.g i can replace the plates, wings, harness seperately. Initially i was tempted with a $199 Mares Syncro Power Tech Bc. The little monster weight almost 16 lbs dry !!! not to mentioned all the useless stuff that sticks to it.

*** Halcyon ACB wight system is a bit expensive but there is no sense to destroy the streamline minimalist features of the BP/Wings with other bulky system. Plus , i like weight integration, no cumbersome extra weight belt to carry around.

**** Oceanic Pro Plus 2 AI computer might be a downer for most of the divers in this forum. As a newly certified open water REC diver, i like to enjoy the sport rather than memorizing some numbers on my head while underwater. Plus, all those extra information available from an AI computer helps a newbie like me to stay safer and more confidence. WHY NOT WRIST MOUNT ?? I cannot justify spending 35% more for an Hoseless wireless AI wrist computer. The Oceanic Pro Plus 2 also allows nitrox gas from 21% to 50%. This is very important for future application and a MUST for a computer in my book. The other contestant in this category worth mentioning is the Scubapro mini VIP Brass dept Gauge couples with non AI wrist mount computer.

***** Suunto Wrist SK-7 compass. Having to hold a console computer is bad enough so i decided to purchase a wrist mount compass. I also plan to bungee cord this compass as the straps look a liitle fragile to me.

****** Aeries Velocity Fins : originaly i opt for full foot fins. However unless you have the commercial normal foot size, Full foot fins sizing will be a nightmare. Also, i am not a fan of dragging my feet across rocks, corals and/or stepping on some rusted bolts/sharp objects on dive boats. A 3mm bootes with half foot fins will be perfect (even though a full boot fins will be cheaper). I choose the Velocity Fins because it is not too stiff and it gives some features of split fins without the high price. Do the stiff test by bending the fins with your hands. Also it gets a good review from www.scubadiving.com.

******** Mares X-Vision Masks is the only mask that fits me ( i know, i tried all of tha masks in the store) and gives a very wide upward and downward viewing angle. In buying a masks make sure that you can easily reach your nose for equalization. Also make sure that the mask is not too small, check this by asking someone to look at your eyes. If the mask is pulling your eyes on the sides, forget it. If you wanted to test the downward viewing angle, with the mask on look down and try to read your watch. See how far you have to extend your arms forward.

********* Rip Curl Classic full suit 2/3mm, as i mainly look for summer time warm water diving , this would do it for now. I also plan for a 5mm suit in the future. For sizing reason i CAN NEVER FIT INTO AN ONEILL SUIT !! i wear a size medium in other brand that i tried on, but O'neill medium is just too tight for me while Oneill size Large is too big and they dont have INTERMEDIATE SIZE !!

NOTE: It is very critical to get proper sizing on Masks, bootes, dive suits & Fins. So forget online internet store. If you want to save a few bucks and paid for it by being miserable underwater , go ahead order online. I have dove with leaky rental Masks and too tight fins and wetsuits, trust me... its better to stay home than diving with ill fitting fins, masks and suits. While fitting these, keep on asking yourself if you can be comfortable on the gear for long period of time.

p/s: I also found out that the DIR concept of 7 foot primary hose for the reg and 27" octo concept to be really interesting and great idea in the case of OOA emergency.

I think overall you made some really excellent choices, and they were pretty well thought through.

I don't think you'll ever regret the BP and wings for exactly the reasons that you state.

Enjoy!

yup i cant wait to take my gear to the pool (hopefully this friday) to do the adjustment and trim. I also need to figure out how much weight that i need.

I need to learn the computer first before taking the plunge !

i heard 8% is a good starting point. MOST OF ALL I CANT WAIT TO GO DIVING !!!!! :D now that i have my own gear !

Dxtreme once bubbled...
yup i cant wait to take my gear to the pool (hopefully this friday) to do the adjustment and trim. I also need to figure out how much weight that i need.

I need to learn the computer first before taking the plunge !

i heard 8% is a good starting point. MOST OF ALL I CANT WAIT TO GO DIVING !!!!! :D now that i have my own gear !

I don't know how big you are, but I'm guessing with the setup you've got you're in the range of 2-6 lbs above the weight of the BP with an AL80 tank. You could actually put trim pockets on the tank bands and do away with the ACB unit completely.

dont suppose that the trim weights are ditchable with a quick release ?

Good to see that you decided on the Halcyon...I remeber you were debating on that...smart move.

The SP regs you bought are really nice, that's the exact setup I dive.

You probably will not have to add much weight to the rig as the BP already weighs 6lbs...just play around and figure out how much you need if any.

Have fun with all your new gear.

From the price you paid, it looks like the regs and computer came from LP or Diveinn. Now, get it wet.

nope, none of the gears are from dive inn nor leisure pro :) so all the factory warranty still stands !!

The price is almost as good if not better than leisure pro. I cant wait to get all the stuff underwater !! hope that i can make it t0 the local pool to get familliar with all the new toys

Back
Top Bottom