What I have learned on my Cambodia/Malaysia/Philippines trip...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeeman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, here are a few lessons for any other folks considering going to Cambodia, KL in Malaysia, or the Philippines. Or all 3.

In order of the thought popping into me head...

*PPD's are your friends!

*It is cheaper to sleep at the net cafe under the youth hostel in KL (at 15 ringits for an all night internet session) than to stay in the hostel (30 ringits). Also, the chair is much more comfy than the bed with no sheets...

*Do not drink coke and read threads simultaneously whilst the owner of the net cafe you are at is sitting next to you playing WOW.

*Contrary to popular belief, there are Cash ATM machines in cambodia. They also accept Visa and give you as much cash as you can handle. Unlike the cash ATM machines in the Philippines - bring your Mastercard.

*KFC Demolition is NOT equal to tea and biscuit time with Chip and Spoon.
Never again...

*Adios Motherfreaker (substitue rea for a uc) means just that. It'll take you out and leave you a blubbering mess, especially if you help a certain other C-card aquiring diver by drinking half of hers...

*The "offical" Manila airport cabs that you prepay your fare for in the arrivals section is politicaly sanctioned rape. Go up to the departures level and catch a cab up there. Point out to the driver that he has a meter, and that using it would really help you get where you are going, and you will save 500 Pesos on a trip from, say, Manila airport to, say Dverspoint at San Juan...

*The lines marked on roads in the Philippines and Cambodia are not there to help cars move about in an orderly manner. They are guides for pedestrians, to help them estimate the distance from kerb to kerb. Remember Frogger? Yes... it is a life skill...

*Get the PPD girls semi naked under a waterfall and watch your secluded location turn into male model wannabe central. (I'm not talking about Chip and Jonix or m'self :) )

*You can't rev a semi auto by pulling in the clutch...

*Mmmm... Mango shakes...

*Mike V. doesn't bite easy.

*Ish holds on tighter if you lean the bike further in corners...

*Skype kills bandwidth in Cambodian net cafes...

*The Point Bar will give you over 3000 pesos of credit if you just say "My name is Zee"...

*Chip - that chicken thing we ate yesterday - whatever it was, with the chilli, lime and soy.. that was GOOOD! So was that other dish that Ish drowned in chilli the first night...

*It sucks to be a guy with long hair and no hair elastic in the Philippines. Ask me how I know...

*That guy chasing you down the street trying to convince you to go to a girlie bar - just go with him. Even if you aren't interested, it'll get him off your back faster, otherwise, he will follow you for over 3km. ask me how I know...

*Swimming with 14 whale sharks in under 1.5 hrs is one helluva workout.

*No mobile phone reception at Ticao (YEAY GOD!)

*Yes, you can log that 8 metre, 1 minute dive...

*Let's get Van drunk = Van and anyone else who happens to come along.

*It is fun to dive about 3 metres above Ish, and wait to see how long before she realises her buddy (you) is missing, then watch as she searches everywhere but above...

*Iris hates weight belts.

*There are over 200 temples at Angkor - don't worry if you don't see them all.

*Rubies and sapphires are cheap. Ask me how I know...

*Happy Herbs pizza in Phnom Pehn actually uses.. erm.. "happy herbs" Ask for a happy base if you need to chill out for a night, ask for a "very happy" base if you want to lose a week.

*There are bats that hang from the ceiling at the "wat's. they pee. Lots. you have been warned.

*Thai culture actually came from Cambodia - silk, architecture, the works. The Thais will not admit this.

*A Suunto dive computer can be made to behave like an Oceanic. I have to put my theory to the DIR crowd. Watch this space...

*If you need a really good photo of a manta... erm, hang on, I'll get to that in a few days :)

Maybe more to come :)

Z...

hahahhahaha...
nice one

try the rotti prata while still in KL, with mutton.. though i have them at around 3am for snacks

Outstanding Zee! very funny.. happy pizza eh? i am interested..... extra mushrooms please!!! :D

I bite... but only if asked.... :wink:

hahaha

zee:
So was that other dish that Ish drowned in chilli the first night...
hey that was Irissssss!!

Zee:
*It is fun to dive about 3 metres above Ish, and wait to see how long before she realises her buddy (you) is missing, then watch as she searches everywhere but above...
:rofl: . . . i know where to look for you the next time u be mah buddy!

clgsamson:
he's a regular pasaway...nothing can take that away from you. He knows the jokes, knows the punchline, knows not to be "pikon". You're ok Zee...
he just doesn't know the diff between Ish and Iris....

:D :D :wink:

Zeeman:
Thai culture actually came from Cambodia - silk, architecture, the works. The Thais will not admit this.

Ancient Tai Muangs (city states/kingdoms) adopted many cultural practices from 9-15th Century Khmer culture. The Khmer Empire is NOT modern day Cambodia. Modern "Thai" culture is a blending of Tai, Khmer, Mon, Chinese, Indian customs and Theravada (Hinayana) Buddhism, with influences from Portugal, France, England and Malay/Muslim culture to the south. The Thai language is one of the many in the Tai-Kadai family and is a tonal language, unlike Khmer (Austroasiatic) - both were heavily influenced by Pali and Sanskrit. The above statement is ignorant to the extreme.

Vie:
Ancient Tai Muangs (city states/kingdoms) adopted many cultural practices from 9-15th Century Khmer culture. The Khmer Empire is NOT modern day Cambodia. Modern "Thai" culture is a blending of Tai, Khmer, Mon, Chinese, Indian and Theravada (Hinayana) Buddhism, with influences from Portugal, France, England and Malay/muslim culture to the south. The Thai language is one of the many in the Thai-Kadai family and is a tonal language, unlike Khmer (Austroasiatic) - both were heavily influenced by Pali and Sanskrit. The above statement is ignorant to the extreme.

thanks for the historical correction Vie! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom