What I don't like about LDS's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm, seems I must be on my LDS's X list. I've spent several $k's with them and yet they give discounts to folks who buy very little from them, but always seem to be charging me as much as possible. I get the impression that they see good customers as part of the gravy train. They try and tempt others with discounts, but just rip every penny they can out of good customers.

No wonder people buy off the 'net and LDS's go out of business. As much as I want to support my LDS, it is a two way street and one they seem unwilling to travel down...

thethumper once bubbled...

Andy... You're gonna laugh.... This is what I told the owner over the phone & my buddy was listening & like to fell over.

"If you go into McDonald's & order a #1 combo (Big Mac, Fires & a Coke), you pay for it & they bring you a Big Mac & Coke & say 'Have a nice day' & you ask for your fries & they tell you 'Fries are not included' but they're in the "Combo" picture.... Wouldn't you have to say 'This is BS, gimme my fries?'" The owner was STRUCK DUMB!!! It was BEAUTIFUL!!!

ya but in all fairness WHEN I GO TO CARLS JR. AND THEY SHOW THAT HOT MODEL EATING THE 6 DOLLAR BURGER EVEN THOUGH SHE IN THE PICTURE I CANT BUY HER FOR THE 5.69 COMBO PRICE

When I learned OW it was through Sports Chalet in Temecula. I paid
72.50 for the class
50.00 for the book
90.00 for a boat trip
54.00 for equipment rental which I got to keep for 15 days and use on all the dives for the one time price. All I supplied was mask, snorkle, fins and booties, all else was supplied. The only stuff I have bought from them was a hat, defog and a gatorade. They still treat me good. And to boot I got a instructor that was competent and actually required you to "pass" the skills. Still had slight "puppy mill" feeling but the instructor went out of his way.

Jambi

Hey PhilD, do you shop in Ventura, CA? Heh Heh. Its amazing how many people feel this way. It sounds like most of us would be happy to support the local shops but money is money and enough is enough. We shouldn't have to haggle or go through heavy negotiations. A fair price is just that...fair.

jamiei once bubbled...
Before any divemaster,instructor, etc. jumps down my throat... i realize that you can't pay to go on a trip every month... just jerking your chains. But realistically, if i want to do say two check-off dives for say a padi AOW cert and you're gonna be diving anyway... just do it... don't say... that'll be $75 extra each for each dive...

It doesn't work that way.

If it's a CHECKOUT dive, then that's what the instructor is doing, He/She is watching you to make sure you're safe, you're his/her responsibility, this is no longer a dive for fun, it's a working one. You expect your Instructor to give up a fun dive so he/she can watch over you for nothing? Also, if you pay an instructor for a class, you should expect their full attention and actually learn something, if they're not and you're not, why even take the class?

Trust me, leading trips is not just tagging along for free, it's work.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom