What I don't like about LDS's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlurrySeal

Registered
Reaction score
This past weekend I walked into a popular LDS to buy a DIN adapter for my first stage.

My first question was, "Do you have it in stock, and how much is it?"

Their reply, "We can order it, and It depends on WHO YOU ARE, but around 50ish"

It ended up being more like 70ish, I guess I wasn't on their 'A' list!
It seems if you're a regular you get a decent price, if not you get gouged. Guess who's not going to becoming a regular? I ended up buying the part without a grumble on my part, but you can bet its the last time I buy something from that LDS.

Why is it that a lot of LDS's don't post prices, but make you ask? They throw out a high number then say they can, "work with you on the price". I'm not in Turkey haggling for the best deal on a carpet, I just want a price so I can buy what I want and get out of there.

Its not just the price that is converting people to online stores, but the attitude of a lot of local LDS's that turn buying equipment into something like buying a car. Who wants go through that headache just to buy some gear?

Hmmm i have run accross that too

if your quoted $50 then i wouldnt have paid the extra. i would state what i was quoted and give them a chance to sell it at that. If they dont want to then i will go elsewhere.

Andy

$50 + tax is fine, but an additional 20 to 25 is BS.

most of the gear i buy is technical gear
OMS, Dive Rite, Halcyon, etc. so it seems everything needs to be special ordered.

what i try to do is research the price a little bit via the internet, and then i will pay a small premium to go get it from the LDS.

I support LDS's as they are there for warrenty and customer service.

some examples

Weezle
underwear, i just posted a request on this board and found three sites that gave prices, sizing charts, etc.
I then emailed my LDS and he quoted me $40.00 more. so I ordered it form the LDS because i know he will be there if i have a problem with it. or if i need air fills.

Suunto Vytek
I did a simular routine and about two month after a purchased it, the LDS phoned me at home and informed me that there had been a recall. my serial number did not match but he had it couriered back to him and sent it off. i recieved a new one form him. all at his cost.
Also when i got my Vytek home and went to hook it to my computer i found i did not have a seriel port, and needed a UBS addapter. he went out and bought me one out of his pocket, and sent it to me. [I live two hours from the nearest dive shop]

OMS
VR3, failed i sent it back to the LDS and they returned it to OMS
I waited a long time [3 months] for a response from OMS, but the LDS went to bat for me and got it upgraded to closed circuit, and included the insperation interface. this was after the LDS sent off a nasty note on how he would not be able to support OMS [he is the biggest dealer in the area] if they handles customer service in such a way.

and of course because i do support my LDS i tend to get some good deals from them. I traded him some labour for a new dry suit not to long ago. I generaly get free VIP's

so I support my LDS, but won't let them charge me to much. I have had to call them on it before, and when they couldn't meet the price i bought the item somewhere else.

was it a new LDS employee?

The reason I ask is that most LDS give discounts to their instructors and dm's and they may not have know who you were. Still not the best customer service to say it that way.

Jonathan

Very good point Johnathan
Regardless of the price structure, a salesman should never tell the client that it depends on who you are.

My answer to the clerk would have been, "I might order it, but first tell me,who are you?"

Dave

It was one of the owners.... and the way it was said was to imply that if I was a regular I would get a better price. I'm sure I could have haggled them down to a lower price, but why should I have to? I was willing to pay whatever their price was (within reason), but they add insult to injury by letting it be known that you i was getting a higher price.

I have travelled the world at length and its always nice coming back to the states were you don't have bargain over every little thing. When you have to haggle over everything there is always the feeling that someone loses in the bargain. Either you as a customer got ripped off, or you as a store owner are getting driven out of business.

I hate it when I walk into a dive shop and everything in the store is tagged at list price. When you start looking at something the owner or salesman comes over and tells you he can make you a deal. What a hassle, it sure takes some of conveniance, and more importantly pleasure, from shopping at LDS's.

Their response "It depends who you are" was not a good one. However many complain that they don't receive any advantage from giving repeat business and express a desire to get package prices or little free things thrown in and some kind of frequent buyer program.

I can tell you why I don't know what the prices in my shop are. It's because I can't come close to the online, nondealer, greymarket sellers. We don't need to go over the why's here but at that price I'd be better off to through the stuff away and write it off. I also don't have extensive marketing recourses to know what everyone worldwide is getting for the many items we carry. So...I tell folks who seem seriouse about a major purchase that I am willing to work with them. I don't know what else to do. I can't afford to sell for less than I have too and I can't afford to sell nothing or loose what might turn in to a long term customer. I do what I can to make people happy without killing myself.
So...what price do I write on a price tag? The manufacturer suggested retail. That is what they advertise and that is what I advertisae (usually). Will I give a discount for a package? Yes. The discount will be different between a $500 sale and a $3000 sale. Then there is the fact that no matter what price I give someone they try to talk me down. So I have two answers for price "retail" or "it depends".

Now an item like your valve does not merit any discussion and there would be a price tag and that is what you would pay. Why? because there is not enough money there to make it worth standing there talking about it. And there are many Items that we have access to but don't stock. An item like this we would have to look up the price. But again if you were buying a bunch of stuff I might cut you a break just as a way of saying thanks.

Will I tell you that the price depends on who you are? No. But it does. Last year my shop was supported in large by five people. I have customers who have spent in excess of $12,000 in a year and never dicker or complain. So...if they buy another reg, and they probably will, do they get a better deal than some others? Yes. I'm trying to get the money for an opening order for a product I wish to carry so I have offered some of this product to select customers at my cost. It is good for them and I get the dealership which I can't afford.

Well.... I have tried not to bring this up, but it's still eating @ me.
So here we go.

I hunted around for a good price on an Odin 1st, 2nd, Octo & A-clamp from Poseidon. I've used 2 LDS for the last 10+ years. Divers Supply was a distributor of Poseidon. When I called to talk to the Mngr of the store, who I've known for years He told me the best price for me was $330(reg. $379) for 1st & 2nd stage and $150(reg $180) for the Octo. When I go in to put on lay away, suddenly it's $350 & $160. I should have known then. "No this is the price I quoted you" logic. :confused: Ok, I bit the bullet. I went in & paid it off. Took it back to work & started to fondel my NEW REGs. To my suprize, NO A-CLAMP. Call to LDS Divers Supply "That is no longer included" was what I got from the mngr. Even thought the web site & the catalog shows 1. 1st stage, 1. 2nd stage, 1. LP hose from 1st to 2nd stage & an A Clamp. "We haven't changed that yet, but what I'm willing to do is give it to you for 1/2 our cost... $20." Needless to say I argued until blue in the face. "Yes it's in the pictures, but it doesn't SAY it's included." It doesn't say the hose is either, but I got that. So I called the main Macon, Ga. store & talked to the owner. Begrudgingly, they gave me what I should have gotten to begin with. When I got back to work & hit F5 to refresh the website where the picture was, the A-Clamp had been erased from the picture.

Ok.... I'm done now.
Thanks for letting me finally vent.

Don't think that because the item is low price there is no room for negotiation.

The DIN adapter for my regulator is at 100 % + markup in the local shops compared to an online store. Sometimes the less expensive items have the largest price markup. That is why some retailers prefer to throw in little knick knacks for free than to give a price discount on a large purchase.

Whenever there is high margin ( high markup in price over cost ) there is room for negotiation. Not every retailer will negotiate, and they may not do so all the time, on some, or all of the items.

As a consumer in this environment, I can't help but think that I just got taken whenever I pay the regular asking price. Some people enjoy bargaining but for most of us, I think, its an unwelcomed hassle.

So unless you are one of those "preferred" customers, or willing to pay the price to become one, the best course of action is that age old consumer adage: Shop Around.

Thumper

you stated that they pointed out that in the catalog and / or web page it didnt say it was included. But it also didnt say it was. The picture implied it was and the customer is always right :)

I am glad you got it for nothing even though im sure it was an agravating ordeal to go through.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom