What I don't like about LDS's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before any divemaster,instructor, etc. jumps down my throat... i realize that you can't pay to go on a trip every month... just jerking your chains. But realistically, if i want to do say two check-off dives for say a padi AOW cert and you're gonna be diving anyway... just do it... don't say... that'll be $75 extra each for each dive...

I think the dive industry as a whole needs a complete rebuilding. It is a big numbers game .the Instructors and LDS' make very little on training new students.so everything a new student would buy is marked up as high as possible[masks fins snorkles boots etc].All the shops I have seen seem to feel that there are few repeat customers anyway .so lets get all the money out of them right away.Immersed magazine last month said 95 % of divers leave the sport within 5 years .I bet 50%-60% never come back after the open water classes are over.If the dive shops would stop treating customers like an ATM bank machine they would keep coming back.One time I asked why the dive shop didnt put on trips to local sites [missile silo in Abeline] But instead always push trips to cozumel and roatan. they said they dont make as much money on local weekend trips.I knew that but I would rather go diving several times a month than once a year.Sorry I'm rambling bottom line Buy gear online take care of your own trips .Let the LDS go out of business.
Joens

i'm not really that knowledgeable about it... but how much of training money goes to say.. PADI... i paid $225 for class and $225 for local check off dives... my instructor spent a total of maybe 10 hours for me and my girlfriend on the checkoff dives including the hour drive. Thats $450 for two half days on the weekend. What if there were 10 people on those check-off dives... sure it would have taken longer, but that would have been $2,250. where does it all go?

A big portion of it goes back to the Agency PADI,SSI, NAUI,etc.
Most of them are for profit corporations.and student certifications are pretty much the only source of income.

I have just started to buy my own gear. I am caught in the middle of a dilema, do i buy online or do i buy from a LDS. I would far rather prefer to buy from a LDS due to what others have mentioned...service. I stopped in a shop last week to check out Scubapro regs, Suunto computers, and also by accident Uwatec computers. I was upfront with the owner that I did just buy my bc on ebay., but he did not hesitate to spend almost 3 hours chating with me about diving. To me that means a lot. He spent a good portion fo the time explaining the differences in the computers and also the regs. He even showed me pictures of his recent trip to Bonaire after I mentioned my wife-to-be and I are planning our honeymoon there. We also chatted about SSI vs PADI and DIR/Techies vs. your average diver.

The real dilema I am having now is not whether or not to buy locally, but what shop to buy from. I have done my training with someone else and have been very pleased with them as well. I plan to continue my education with that shop, but I am not sure they really have what I want.

I guess I am fortuante to have atleast two good shops locally.

Now if only I couyld find a shop owner who skis but hates the high ski prices and would be willing to work out a nice trade.

If you think that the service you are receiving is worth the extra money then it is nice to buy locally. In the end you have to evaluate the extra cost verse the service and decide if it is worth it.

I am glad to hear you have those good shops in that area and I hope you check out the Kentucky section of the board and come out and dive with us sometime.

Chad

The LDSs could have a lot more of my business if they would try to be even remotely competitive in their pricing. I'll gladly pay a FAIR premium to support a local operation and have my gear right now.

You'd think the LDSs would be dying to engender a little customer loyalty rather than constantly exhibiting a 'show me the money' attitude. If you're there to browse, get info, or negotiate a better price there's a good chance you'll get the cold shoulder treatment with a lot of these operations (even those that I've spent hundreds or thousands in). I need to feel welcome, even if I'm not buying on a particular day.

After listening to one shop owner ***** for an hour about customers who come in to fondle gear that they intend to buy online, he gigged me 300% over mail order on a lousy spear gun band. He lost my sympathy (and my future biz) on that move.

Until they get prices (and attitudes) right, the only items I get locally are fills, tune-ups, and lead.

on my LDS for training and equipment rental. You'd think they would be more willing to accommodate me during a recent purchase. Guess what? Nooooooo.

I was going on a wreck dive this past weekend, and I thought it appropriate to purchase lights. Well, they had UK light set at their shop. It can be had on Leisurepro.com for $69.95:

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...946&cgrfnbr=972&parentCategory=965&sort=ppprc

The shop's price was $98.00!!!!!! I was in a pinch though. I should have made the purchase online way before my dive. I was just too lazy. Well, I brought up the ole' I get it Leisurepro.com for XX amount os dollars, and that I had already dropped $800 plus in the store would they be willing to give me a discount. The answer was "No." I made my case again asking if they would at least give me student discount of 10%. The guy stated that I was no longer a student (recently graduating OW) so therefore that wouldn't count (even though I was going out on the ocean for my AOW with their rented equipment!). Well, he begrudgingly gave me a 10% discount for the light set. With tax it came to $93.49. I paid $23 over Leisurepro for a light set. To top it off I decided to buy DIN caps for their regulators to protect them on the boat. Each DIN connector cost $10! I looked elsewhere, and I could get these for $3 max. Overpaid another $14! Now this is the shop I'm going to plunk down $3,000 to $4,000 on? It's like pulling teeth. Imagine losing that business! It seems the LDS's just want to push people out the door. If I get angry enough I chose to stop training at their shop altogether.

It's kind of funny how local LDS's treat each other. I looked at a local LDS that is a Dive-Rite Tech Center (This is the type of gear I wouldn't mind purchasing). This guy is wheeling and dealing. It helps that DR is supporting the deals as well. My LDS is also a DR authorized dealer, yet they have nowhere near the amount of product in their store. My teacher, who used to work at this competing LDS, is totally adamant about me buying my stuff their. The typical, "...that guy is a total jerk. You DO NOT WANT TO BUY THERE!” My teacher mentioned I should get my gear list together, and he would try to work a deal with my LDS. They'll try anything to keep the business short of actually dealing with you on price.

Sure, it's cool to find a local LDS you can trust with your life, and with your equipment. I do like my LDS. I've been diving with the group for a couple of months now. I also like my teacher. He seems like the type of guy I could be diving with years to come. It's just silly to over pay 30% to 50% on equipment to maintain this relationship.

I've decided to try to deal with my LDS. Otherwise, I'm going to their competitor within the area. I will also supplement my purchases with online as well. Scuba's an expensive sport. It's just going to get that much more expensive in the future (ie. cost of trips).

oharag

Yes when I was shopping for my dive gear I went to the local dive shops and whenever I asked a price they would come up with a ridiculously high amount and then tell me if I bought other things from them they would give me a discount but I wanted to buy different equipment from different shops depending on what items they stocked and obviously I didn't want to pay more than I had to.
I found it very frustrating having to haggle for everything and thought to myself why can't they just tell me the best price!
I wanted to support my local dive shop but it was too much hassle in the end , I bought my regulator first and second stage /mask snorkel/gloves/fins/knife and dry suit from local dive shops and bought the rest over the Internet ! So at least they got some business out of me!

Ditto to what most have said about the tackyness of the salesperson but my question to you as they buyer.........

Why did you buy it anyway?

I would have gone straight home and ordered it online. If you buy from them, you are really telling the retailer that it was OK for them to treat you that way...........IMO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom