what have you forgot to pack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
When you pack for vacation and get all the way to your destination and at the divesite what did you realize at the last possible moment that you forgot to pack and bring with you?

Ask me again in March, after we get back from Fiji, and I see if I forgot anything. :)

Copy and pasted from a long time past dive report of mine. Fortunately I haven't left anything important behind in a long time. I thought I left my compass behind a few weeks ago, but it turned out it was in my car after all.

Here goes the dork diver extraordinaire post. This was my shining moment in scuba diving and something I hope to NEVER repeat. I would like to think I usually make a pretty good dive buddy, but this time was a bunch of screw ups with mostly minor stuff. Ryan and I had loaded my truck the night before, since we had too much crap, including two kayaks and a scooter.

So we arrive at Fort Ross to me going DOH! my park pass in the Prius...first strike. The list continued past lucky number 13. Hey at least I remembered the beer. About the time we arrived at the dive sight the memory kicked in and the mental note, from the night before, to remember the cart for the kayaks, said hey you left it at home. After a few minutes of unloading gear, it appears my hood never made it into the bins either. Hmmmm…that is not good. Thank you Denise, for loaning me your hood. Then when I grabbed my drysuit to put it on, the pocket was empty, when it is usually stored stuffed with all the safety gear like SMB, reel, shears, Storm whistle, and wet notes. Of course my wrist compass must be in the same place as the other gear. Dive knife was right were it should be on the front of my harness, so at least one cutting device was within reach.

We continue to get ready and start heading for the water, when YUP, I realize I had set my mask back into my dive bag, which is in the truck, at the top of the hill. That challenge was overcome since Ryan carries a backup with him.

After arriving at the dive site, dropping anchor, and starting to gear up, who do you think forgot to adjust their crotch strap when they readjusted the others, while on land? >> ME LOL. As I continue to gear up, another error had occurred, and my inflator was flopping around as the Velcro was not around the harness. Once repaired, I start reaching around trying to find my drysuit inflator hose and can't find it...then memory kicks in, and it was never reinstalled after Roatan. After alerting Ryan, I said "Let’s go diving". We get to the bottom at 23 feet, and we had landed smack dab on top of the wreck :) They never did teach us to share air underwater like we did. Once on the bottom the squeeze on my drysuit was a little too much and it would have been a shorter less fun dive if I didn’t get air into my drysuit. Since my drysuit inflator could not be reached by my wing inflator hose, we performed an air share drill, unlike anything they taught us in class. With some loft now in my drysuit, we started our dive.

I led the dive, using Ryan’s compass, since mine was…well, at home. Most of the dive was in 20-30 feet of water. In the 25 foot range there was a little swell action that lessened substantially by 33 feet. Vis was decent. The kelp had grown in a lot since last time I dove. With the tide out, the surface was covered by it, and underwater you had to weave your way around. We spent 1/3 of the dive checking out the wreck, and the rest Ryan followed me around lost trying to re-find the pieces of the wreck, not realizing the current had pulled us too far south. All in all another great dive. After surfacing Ryan and his scooter headed in, because it is slow on the surface, especially around kelp and I swam back to my kayak.

As the divers returned from the ocean and the day wound down we started packing up our gear. We got together for a group photo, when I realize I had forgotten my camera tripod. After taking a bunch of photos we started hauling our gear to the parking lot.

I have not forgotten anything on a dive trip out of town but I did forget my bc after driving an hour to get to the local quarry. They have rentals available there so I borrowed one but that BC has the inflator hose over the shoulder like most bc's do but mine is the i3 which had the inflator on the left hip area of the bc. It took me to dives to get back to realizing that the inflator was on the hose but by that time, it was time to go home.

It was worth a laugh and now I do better to do a mental picture as I put stuff in the car to make sure I have everything that I need for my dive days.

Develop and make a detailed list.

Different needs for different destination environments.

Over time, you will forget absolutely nothing.

Forgot my alarm clock one time.

Last January I went to Arizona to visit my mom and get a day of dives in at Lake Pleasant.
I dive din regs, but I forgot the din to yoke adaptor. The folks at Scubateeres (Karen) saved the dive. She got me the adaptor from a friend of hers.

Thanks, Jim Breslin

Last January I went to Arizona to visit my mom and get a day of dives in at Lake Pleasant.
I dive din regs, but I forgot the din to yoke adaptor. The folks at Scubateeres (Karen) saved the dive. She got me the adaptor from a friend of hers.

Thanks, Jim Breslin

Wow. It's not often that I hear of someone from elsewhere looking forward to diving in Arizona. We tend to drive to Mexico for our diving.

+1 for RoatanMan and the packing list(s).

I pack all the essentials in an "Action Packer" under my hanging wet suit & BC once they are dry from the last trip. For a planned trip I check and pack, at my leisure, a night or two before each trip. I haven't forgotten anything in years.

But to answer the question, over the years, I have, in no particular order, forgotten:

Gloves - wore some old leather ones in the truck - short dive
Boots - sneakers don't have much insulation
Hood - waited for someone to come in and borrowed his
1 Glove - got cold hands, did you know wet suit gloves are kind of ambidextrous
weight belt - switched off belt in the water
fishing license - no abalone that day
wet suit jacket - rented one, was relatively close to a shop

All but the license are over five years old and beyond the statute of limitations. And in my defense all were Abalone diving trips on a "well lets go right now" basis.

Bob
------------------------
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

I recently (This past Sunday) drive 20 minutes to a local lake to realise that I had forgotten to grab my wetsuit and hooded vest. As the water was in the 40s I went back for them and delayed the dive by 40 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom