What have you done to impress your buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our group of divers plays the "remaining psi" game. Usually one of our female divemasters wins this game. She is 5'8" and about 125 lbs, a scientific diver for a local university. On occasion, I have been able to tie her remaining psi with mine. I am 5'10" and 200 lbs. We usually end up with about 1000 psi remaining, when everyone else barely has 500 psi left. We dive LP steel Fabers.

One other guy in our group sometimes ties with us, but he usually ends up with a splitting headache, so that tells us what he is doing to cheat.

jriderski:
I'm not there to impress anyone. Diving is a recreational sport that you should enjoy and do it safely.
Are you sure? Then why do people keep telling me how much air they have left, how deep they went, how many dives they have, how they're DIR and I'm not.
Truly, I am impressed...

Plan the dive/dive the plan. It may not sound like much, but then again, a lot of the people the 3 of us have dove with before couldn't do that. :)

-Frank

Not to long after I was first certified I had the chance to dive with a couple of US Navy P-3 Orion Navigators on their first dive after certification. We were doing a shallow "Sand" dive looking to see what was in the area and the vis wasn't all that great, maybe 10 feet most of the time. Being the most experienced one in the group I told them I would lead and use my compass to find our way. We droped in and started off heading south. My intention was to make a square pattern and return to the anchor line on the western leg. Being rather inexperienced at the time I failed to take into account the slight current that day and instead of finding the anchor line on the western leg I hit it dead on while swimming the north bound leg of what turned out to be a triangle instead of a square. These guys were so impressed with my skills as a navigator that they later bought me a beer at the club telling all their buddies how great I was at navigation. They both said that they had no idea where we were when we hit the line and that navigation was their job. I never told them that it was by pure luck I actually found the line the way I did, a few more minutes of looking around on that leg of our trip instead of swimming and we would have been blown right past it and this story would have ended completely different.

IndigoBlue:
Our group of divers plays the "remaining psi" game.

ok, a little off the subject. i used to smoke, and i could beat ANYONE
(even small women) at the remaining PSI game. then, i stopped smoking
and I turned into a hoover.

sigh... i am healthier, but oh has my frail ego suffered.

anyways, the thing that impressed me the most in my own diving was finding an anchor line with a reading at the surface from about 200 yards away
(back to the boat) in a moderate current. i got my buddy and i to within
about fifty feet of the boat before we saw it, and we would have hit it if we had kept going straight.

i thought, darn... that was nice... follow your training and... magic happens

eating meals under water.. such as banana egg sausage ( no not the safety one) meatballs, drinking .. and of course carry it all in a basket with red and white checkers *smiles*
hmme what else ? darth vader impersonation on safety stop when testing some stuff when the buddy thought I was low on air and missinterpreted it all as an ooa situation.. and wanted to give his octo to me.. wich I kindly said thanx but no thanx..
hiding in a room in a quarry waiting for the next group to come by and lighting my flashlight in my own face when they stick their heads in...
diving with santa hat on, cliff jumping/diving under water...
had a crab go " get out of here you are not welcome " at me when diving a wreck

its all about having fun under water.. ;-)
have a cosy nice fun and safe dive *smiles*

jriderski:
I'm not there to impress anyone. Diving is a recreational sport that you should enjoy and do it safely. Perhaps the question can be worded differently.

I'm impressed!

Dear jriderski

Thanks you for your short, but somehow meaningful reply, which I am suitably un-impressed by. I hope this is to your satisfaction?

Please continue to enjoy your recreational sport safely without impressing anyone, after all diving is many things to many different people.

No need to re-word the question, I would hate to impress you with my exuberance and impressive vocabulary!
:)
AllanM
AKA Aquamore

Dear eandiver

I'm impressed that you are suitably impressed,
Thanks
Aquamore

Back
Top Bottom