What got you started in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Hunt. It was 1965 and I loved the show plus they had a cheapie system for 179 bucks at the sports store. No cert required for a couple of years after that and then when I had logged a couple of hundred dives they made me do a course.

Amazing what I got away with, I guess I was just a lucky kid.

It has been 40 years since I started and I'm still doing a couple of hundred dives a year.

I was fortunate in that a very good friend of ours became an instructor.

As much as I loved the ocean, I was frightened at the thought of scuba diving. My friend shared many stories, myths, facts, etc. until I began to feel more comfortable with the idea. I was totally wrong about scuba! I didn't know there was "recreational" diving. I guess I was thinking of Tech Diving.

Our friend certified my husband, who went on a dive trip while I stayed home. By the time he described every little detail of the trip, I was ready to go.

It was great to have that one-on-one training, especially from a trusted friend, and unlimited use of a family member's swimming pool. It was an ideal learning environment.

Before I got certified, I was also afraid to start diving, love it, and then never be able to afford to do it again. Well, we both ended up loving it so much that our priorities shifted.

That was 3 years ago, I was 33 at the time. Since then, we have gone on great dive vacations in addition to local diving. Between the two of us, we have purchased quite a bit of gear and have also each received our AOW, in class this time (our friend moved away).

It has changed my life, I can't believe I might have missed out on this!

Wow, I'm lelous reading these posts of people whose spouse or SO made them do it. For me, it was very recent. On a trip to Hawaii last December wen to to the Big Island and then Maui. At the end of my week on Maui I had 2 days to kill. Finished all my sight seeing and was planning to spend the time at the resort by the beach or pool. I happened to turn on the resort access channel and saw a spot about the resort course/discover SCUBA program they offered.

Years ago I new a few divers, but I nevereven thought of doing it myself until then, but that one resort course got me hooked. I came back home and found a dive shop the next week. Got trained home (Long Island, NY) in January and did my open water checkout in March in Florida.

Unfortunatly, I lost track of the guys I knew who were divers. When I mention diving to my friends now they give me a funny look. One even told me: "You used to be SANE!" I guess he was right though, I have kinda flipped over this.

jsmharley:
What got me hooked was my beautiful girlfriend. It has been a dream of hers since she was a little girl, so for a graduation present from nursing school I signed us up for OW classes. Well the rest is history, I am hooked like a bass on a rubber crawdaddy. LOL I don't think I can thank her enough for this and the so many other things she has broght into my life........ :D

WWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIPPP. Spread it thick for her, we aren't going home with you.
:D

Love nature and love exploring. I have always snorkled but didn't take up diving as the Gulf of Mexico can be nasty. Just after High School I went into the service and haven't really been in places it would have been easy to dive at all. That's ok though because I spent a few assignments in places it was easy to do mountain climbing and Big wall climbing. I did that for the last 8 or so years and now that I am stationed in Hawaii I took of SCUBA and am loving it every bit as much as I thought I would and more.

Short story of wives, husbands, friends, and a baby: The then pregnant wife of a friend of my husband's best friend was unable to go on a dive trip to Cancun for obvious reasons. My husband's best friend went in her stead - first dive trip and he loved it. He talked my husband into trying it; my husband talked me into trying it. Thanks to that little baby, we're all diving now.

Water, Sea Hunt, being a lousy surfer and growing up on Monterey Bay.

I could watch Seahunt and go diving the same day. :D

1962 seems so long ago.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom