What form of redundant Gas supply is preferred?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a Florida reef diver & photographer wannabe; between size/weight/bulk and capacity, the 19cf pony seems to hit the sweet spot for me for ascents from recreational depths with reasonable stops.

I carry it on a bracket attached to my cam band. The 19 is small enough that I just take it all the time, whether a 100' reef or a 20' shore dive, whether buddied up or solo. I've packed it in my carryon luggage for dive trips so I'm not without it even then. I already have my BC trim weights adjusted for it, so in many ways it's just easier to leave it there than to constantly decide whether or not to take it; besides, I like the familiarity, just knowing it's always there.

Last edited:
So the question is:

What is your preferred form of redundancy? Independant doubles, manifolded doubles, Mounted Pony Tank, Slung Pony or anything else that I haven't yet thought of...

Thank you in advance

For most of the dives I do (shallow, clear, warm water), no redundancy.

When I do carry a pony, it is a slung Al30.

Best wishes.

For shallow dives, I often just go with the surface that is 10 to 20 feet above me. For deeper dives, I sling a 13cf pony. I have ascended on that from 85 ft including a 5 minute RS and reboarding the boat with almost 500 psi to spare. But, if packing the pony for air travel is not a concern, then a larger pony gives you more options. In the water, I found little difference between slinging a 13 vs slinging a 63. Big difference lugging that 63 to the shore and back.

I've considered slinging an Al63 that my kids have outgrown.... hmmmmm.

awap:

If you are still following this thread, did the 63 trim "ok" underwater (it seems like it should be fine, I just have never tried slinging a 63)?

Thanks.

Best wishes.

It depends on the type of diving. You need enough air to get to unlimited air. In the Solo courses I teach I require a redundant air source. That means 2 cylinders, no manifold. Sometimes a 3rd tank is necessary, but that's usuallly only when I'm 5000' back in a cave on a scooter.

On the rare occasion I do go solo, I am either diving with a slung AL40 or doubles. Either way, do remember that you are responsible for gas planning before the dive and active gas management during the dive. My 40 is there if something really goes wrong (ie entanglement, run into somebody really low on gas and we have a swim to shore, etc), not for a goof-up in managing my backgas.

Peace,
Greg

I've considered slinging an Al63 that my kids have outgrown.... hmmmmm.

awap:

If you are still following this thread, did the 63 trim "ok" underwater (it seems like it should be fine, I just have never tried slinging a 63)?

Thanks.

Best wishes.

I had no trouble trimming the 63. I wear a weight belt and shift it a bit if leaning to one side or the other. The 63 goes from -2 lb to +2 lb which is quite manageable. When I rigged this way, I was not using it as a pony. It was an easy way to rig a poor man's doubles. Handy when you occasionally need more gas for a dive.

On NDL dives none.

If diving a single rig, I sling an AL40. If diving doubles, they are my redundancy. If doing a particularly aggressive solo dive, I'll do both doubles and my little buddy AL ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I have to fly to dive a 6CF pony

Local diving a 13CF pony

Both slung.

This is a minimal amount of gas - trading convenience and weight on shore or travelling with cutting the safety margin to a minimum.

No amount of gas will solve all problems, I choose to plan to only be able to solve a limited number of issues. Mostly - failure of my primary gas supply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom