What form of redundant Gas supply is preferred?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had no trouble trimming the 63. I wear a weight belt and shift it a bit if leaning to one side or the other. The 63 goes from -2 lb to +2 lb which is quite manageable. When I rigged this way, I was not using it as a pony. It was an easy way to rig a poor man's doubles. Handy when you occasionally need more gas for a dive.

Thanks awap!

A "poor man's doubles" is precisely what I had in mind.

A couple of the shore entries here require climbing down into chest-deep water off a lava shelf (envision climbing into the shallow end of a pool without ladder or steps), and getting out is very tough with the weight of doubles.... but I can unclip a stage, lift it up to the lava ledge, then climb up with my single AL80 on my back just fine.....

Best wishes.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

What is your preferred form of redundancy? Independant doubles, manifolded doubles, Mounted Pony Tank, Slung Pony or anything else that I haven't yet thought of...

Thank you in advance[/QUOTE]

Often two trucks

I use manifolded doubles, sometimes with side mount 19 ponys ( one each side ) just
to get the what the h*ll looks.....:confused:

main reg octo, air 2 back up on sep. 1st stage, and of course indpendent reg's
on ponys, and sometime's a extra MASK, fin strap, mini light, just depends.

When i go single main tank ( 80 or 100 ), i just use a 19 pony.

I just love gear and like to mix it up, i'd take it all with me but trucks too small,
I'm going to try a rebreather intro at the end of sept. whoo hoo
THATS ALL I NEED, i think, maybe.

If not diving doubles which I rarely do then I always sling a 30. even if its a 20 foot dive like its going to be later today, never anything less that at least a 30 slung and ready to go. All the gear all the time.

Laugh if you want, but I think some of you guys who go down with zero redundancy are really rolling the dice. Sure, we can all easily make an OOA from 2 ATM and recover safely, but that is only done in a controlled training environment, with an AI holding a reg right next to your mouth as you calmy make the ascent.

Under stress, a person will never ever rise to their normal level of of ability, they will always drop to their poorest level of training.

What about entanglements? panic? multiple gear malfunctions, inner ear issues? any of the billions of things that can and do go wrong, with no redundency at all?

I use manifolded doubles, sometimes with side mount 19 ponys ( one each side ) just to get the what the h*ll looks.....:confused:

LOL! Well, sir, that's certainly the look you would get from me. Talk about redundancy! Heck, you could sell gas fills to other divers in the middle of the dive with that rig. :rofl3:

Actually, if I saw that, I would just presume the 19's were stage bottles for a planned deco dive... to REALLY get the desired looks, you need to wear that rig on a 20' Venice beach sharktooth hunt dive. :crafty:

Laugh if you want, but I think some of you guys who go down with zero redundancy are really rolling the dice. Sure, we can all easily make an OOA from 2 ATM and recover safely, but that is only done in a controlled training environment, with an AI holding a reg right next to your mouth as you calmy make the ascent.

Under stress, a person will never ever rise to their normal level of of ability, they will always drop to their poorest level of training.

What about entanglements? panic? multiple gear malfunctions, inner ear issues? any of the billions of things that can and do go wrong, with no redundency at all?

Those of us diving without redundancy have been doing it for a long time. I began soloing in 1976. We do understand the risks. Many of us were trained to CESA from 3 ATM in basic OW, and began diving before SPGs, octos and BC's were in common use. One of my favorite old tanks still has it's original J-valve....

A lot of us service and repair our own gear, and are thus very aware of what the REAL risks of failure are with properly maintained and inspected gear... near nil.

Redundancy will not save you if you are seriously entangled, if you panic, have multiple gear malfuntions at once, or have an inner ear issue, or all of the above at the same time :wink: A good buddy is needed for those problems.

Redundancy is a very good idea in certain environments, or on certain dives.... but is not universally required to dive solo, any more than it is on a buddy dive. You do need to identify the risks of a particular dive you are planning, and many dives will require redundancy to make them safer.... but a shallow, tropical reef dive is not a dive that should require full redundancy.

Best wishes.

Thank everyone for your responses. this was not supposed to be a debate on whether redundancy was needed or not. Everyone has the right to make their own decisions on that. As for those do carry Redundant Gas it still seems a tossup.

independant twin 7 litres. depending on depth i will alternate cylinders for deeper wrecks every 50 bar to breathe them evenly, but for 25m or less i will breather one cylinder till i have enough gas to get me to the surface (including planned deco) in one cylinder then switch to the other. when i start to come up i will switch back to the first cylinder and can breathe it till there is just enough to inflate my stab on the surface.

i usually have enough in the 2nd cylinder for a second dive (150 bar) and i'm not wasting a nitrox fill!

To the OP.........
As you can see there are many, and it all really comes down to what works for you for the typ of diving you are going to do.

To the OP.........
As you can see there are many, and it all really comes down to what works for you for the typ of diving you are going to do.

I reallly loved seeing this reply.

i've been diving nearly 20 years, ive come to the same conclusion. i've also seen the guys come & go who know that their way is best, tell you that you are doing it all wrong because of this factor, which doesn't apply to the kind of diving you are doing.

Basically if you are comfortable & you have worked out (for yourself) the flaws in your set-up and it works for you then it's the correct set-up. Discussing it with another diver is great, but it may not be right for him/her.

it's just great to see others with that frame of mind, shame it takes those of us who practise what is a taboo form of diving to appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom