What Fins are best for Sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, may I suggest you mention that the Deep 6 is not rubber, weighs approx 3 lbs a fin in air (6lbs for a pair.. about half of what jets weigh) and is positive in salt and neutral/ slightly positive in fresh (depends on size)

Where are you getting the weights for the Jet Fins? I just weighed mine (XL) and they come in at 6.5# for the pair (with spring straps). You don't honestly think they weight 12#, do you? I'm sure the Deep 6 is a great option for a more neutrally buoyant fin, but it isn't saving much dry weight over the Jets.

There can be a difference in fin requirement (especially buoyancy charateristics) whether diving steel/ali...dry or wetsuit.

Here's my take on it....

Top 5 Warm-Water Sidemount Fins

So now it's the top 9, nice list. The FF Pros are the only ones I don't get. I've had a pair for many years but have not dived them for some time. For me, they were OK for flutter but not so great for alternative kicks. Mine already have the bungie straps. I'll have to break them out and give them another try. I recently tried a pair of FF Excellerating fins with whiskers, they had the same shortcomings as the Pros. I'll be writing up my comparison with my Dive Rite XTs soon on SB. I realize that the FF fins require adapting one's kick style, I'm sure I did not give them enough time, just 3 dives/3+ hours. But then again, I really like my XTs...

Last edited:
The FF Pros are the only ones I don't get.....OK for flutter but not so great for alternative kicks....I realize that the FF fins require adapting one's kick style, I'm sure I did not give them enough time, just 3 dives/3+ hours

Yep... 3 dives/3+ hours isn't really enough to 'convert' from a stiff paddle fin and learn the ankle-angle nuances of a Force Fin.... especially if you have significant experience in stiff paddles fins to 'overcome'.

However, Force Fins really do lend themselves to fine maneuvering.... and that includes frog kick, back kick, helicopter turns and modified flutter. I find all of those quite easy and effective with Force Fins.... slightly more so than with Dive Rite XTs or Apeks RK3s.... but then, MY overwhelming experience for the past 15 years or so has been in Force Fins.

I can even do a groovy 'side-kick' in Force Fins (lateral movement sideways, with no rotation or forward/backward movement.... hard to explain).... and I've yet to make that work in stiff paddle fins....

For sidemount (and wreck), the buoyancy characteristics, short length and blade of Force Fins lend themselves very well to the diving that I do most frequently... multiple (4+) tanks in confined spaces in warm water/wetsuit locations.

Also... for the record... I can accomplish all the 'alternative' kicks quite happily barefooted.... so I do appreciate that it's possible to make any fin work... if you have enough experience to do so... but Force Fins work well...once you've got the feel of them.

One thing I have noted.... from a sidemount/tech instructor perspective... is that the Apeks RK3 lends itself very well to a quick initial development of advanced fin technique. I've seen students don these fins for the first time and quickly get to grips with them.... more so than with any other fin in the last 20 years.

I primarily dive with DiveRite XT's.... I struggle with back fining in the XT's... I put on a pair of Deep6 fins and could immediately back fin.... and they TOTALLY rock when moving forward.... I think the XT's are just to long for me... Have a pair of Force Fins, just can't seem to get the whole frog kick working for me wearing them.
I will be ordering a pair of Deep6 fin's VERY SOON!!!!

I'm partial to my Mares Powerplanas, though it occurs to me they may be a bit heavy for my SM rig. They're the first fin I was able to backfin with and the rubber straps are very easy to don/doff so I've used them exclusively for cold/SM.
I've been blaming my tanks and weights for my head up trim, but I'll have to try my F2's and see if it helps

However, Force Fins really do lend themselves to fine maneuvering.... and that includes frog kick, back kick, helicopter turns and modified flutter. I find all of those quite easy and effective with Force Fins.... slightly more so than with Dive Rite XTs or Apeks RK3s.... but then, MY overwhelming experience for the past 15 years or so has been in Force Fins.

I'd love to see a video of someone performing a decent frog kick using the force fins. I wanted to love these fins, but then started reading around... I have seen a couple videos of people claiming they can frog kick with these things, but they are are moving super slow, while exerting way more energy than you can expect from someone frog kicking with DRXT or paddle fins. To be fair, most of the videos I've seen show someone who doesn't seem to know how to frog kick well.

The bend in the shape of the FFs I've seen is obviously flexed to provide a rebound snap on the down-kick during flutter kicks, but that same curve, it seems to me, would make it impossible to move much water in an up-kick, and frog kicks are all up-kick movements.

90% of the time I'm drysuite Hollis F1s work for me. If I'm south in wetsuit I use Mares Quattro

Back
Top Bottom