What ever happened to Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

F106A

Contributor
Reaction score
NJ, GSP Exit 36 (24,000' from the Atlantic)
# of dives
500 - 999
Haven't been to the Keys in 18 months and wondering what's changed.

What I think I know:
Scuba-Do was on the ropes and is now, apparently, Tango Uniform. Never was the same after Tony & Laurie left.
Ocean Divers had recently changed management/owners and seemed to have a different personality.
K.L. Dive Center (formerly GCDC?) seems to be active.
Conch Republic Divers and Quiescence are probably still doing well, as they should, n'est-ce pas?
What about HMS Minnow, Horizon, Bluewater, Silent World (under another new management a/o ~10/'15)?
Any new ops - good or bad?

Going to try to get back there later this year and looking for updates, opinions and suggestions.
TIA

I've limited my dive operators to just a handful who I consistently have good experiences with: #1 (by a long shot) for me is Conch Republic Divers. #2 is Rainbow Reef and #3 is Horizon. RR can be a bit cattle boat like and I don't like the fact that they don't have big nitrox tanks, but their boats are nice and the crews are great and the hotel deals they offer are way below market rates. I'd probably consider Queiscense if I were traveling with a small group and wanted a six pack. I also went out with Islamorada Dive Center last November on one afternoon when CRD didn't have enough divers to make a trip. They seemed like a pretty good operator as well, nice people, nice boat and off-the-beaten-path dive sites.

If it has only been 18 months then you know the HMS Minnow is under new ownership. My wife and I dove with Jeff on the Minnow for many years and miss having him around. That being said, the new owner Capt John Garvey is perfect for us as he is a low keyed friendly guy who accommodates our diving style. As with Jeff, we have been out several days with just the three of us. The biggest difference is where Jeff liked to get out early, John leaves around 8 or so when most others do.

Haven't been to the Keys in 18 months and wondering what's changed.

What I think I know:
Scuba-Do was on the ropes and is now, apparently, Tango Uniform. Never was the same after Tony & Laurie left.
Ocean Divers had recently changed management/owners and seemed to have a different personality.
K.L. Dive Center (formerly GCDC?) seems to be active.
Conch Republic Divers and Quiescence are probably still doing well, as they should, n'est-ce pas?
What about HMS Minnow, Horizon, Bluewater, Silent World (under another new management a/o ~10/'15)?
Any new ops - good or bad?

Going to try to get back there later this year and looking for updates, opinions and suggestions.
TIA
I dived with Ocean Divers a lot between 2004-2009, don't think I would go back now, completely different flavor

I second Conch Republic. Had a great experience with Gary and Brenda

Were still here and ready to dive

Come see why we're not just another dive shop.

Capt Gary

Yep, been out a few times with Garvey and enjoyed it. Will do so again. Thanks for your input.

If it has only been 18 months then you know the HMS Minnow is under new ownership. My wife and I dove with Jeff on the Minnow for many years and miss having him around. That being said, the new owner Capt John Garvey is perfect for us as he is a low keyed friendly guy who accommodates our diving style. As with Jeff, we have been out several days with just the three of us. The biggest difference is where Jeff liked to get out early, John leaves around 8 or so when most others do.

I dived with Ocean Divers a lot between 2004-2009, don't think I would go back now, completely different flavor

Too true. Been out with them beaucoup times between '95-'15. Will only use them as an any-port-in-a-storm back-up.
(If memory serves - you, Jax and I dove with Kev late July, '15 on a three tanker.)

Last edited:
Too true. Been out with them beaucoup times between '95-'15. Will only use them as an any-port-in-a-storm back-up.
(If memory serves - you, Jax and I dove with Kev late July, '15 on a three tanker.)
Hi @F106A

Sounds right, July 24, Castor, Delray Ledges, and 007/Clubhouse, good times

Very best, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom