What equipment you can take on open water dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LCromwell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have not been diving in over 15 years. I am being told by my daughter-in-law that you can no longer dive with gloves or SCUBA knives because the DM's do not want divers touching anything on the bottom. I can understand that, but a knife in an emergency seems necessary. Does anyone know anything about this? We are going to Bermuda in the fall and I would like to carry a knife.:confused:

I believe a cutting instrument is necessary. However, the daggers some carry are definitely overkill. I prefer a small, blunt tipped knife with a line cutter.

Having said that, a pair of shears and a z-knife would cover most cutting needs without the need for a traditional knife.

Bermuda does not forbid the use of gloves or appropriate dive knives. Some Carribbean area, such as Cozumel and Grand Cayman don't allow gloves, as they want divers to keep their hands off the coral. Just remember not to have your dive knife in your carry-on!

It really depends on where you are diving. Gloves as ban in a lot of tropical places but here in NC your crazy not to dive with them. I don't know of anyplace knives are banned ....actually the quarries around here do...but really, places like the Caribbean you really don't need one although I always carry a pair of shears just because they are already in my BC and again, here in NC they are a really good idea.

Bermuda does not forbid the use of gloves or appropriate dive knives. Some Carribbean area, such as Cozumel and Grand Cayman don't allow gloves, as they want divers to keep their hands off the coral. Just remember not to have your dive knife in your carry-on!

"Just remember not to have your dive knife in your carry-on"
LOL Goes without saying. My wife made it all the way to Hawaii with Ponds cold cream jar in her carry on, and they took it away on the way back. Thanks for the reply Teddy.

all places in the U.S. dont care about gloves i actually perfer to dive gloves no matter where i am partly for getting in and out of the boat and on the ancore line can have small invertebrates called hydras on it which can sting you not a fun thing. so i always ware gloves and just am aware about where my body is and my hands are placed. if you can carry a knife go to an army surplus store and get a pair of emt shears great cutting tool and when they rust toss them and get a new pair they are about 4 dollers. i keep it in my bc pocket. hope this helps

I have not been diving in over 15 years. I am being told by my daughter-in-law that you can no longer dive with gloves or SCUBA knives because the DM's do not want divers touching anything on the bottom. I can understand that, but a knife in an emergency seems necessary. Does anyone know anything about this? We are going to Bermuda in the fall and I would like to carry a knife.:confused:

Holy big blue letters batman.... :D

Local norms vary widely. Always get informed by local pros before you decide what to take or what not to take with you.

Also, if you haven't been diving for 15 years I would highly recommend a refresher course before you go to Bermuda.

R..

Holy big blue letters batman.... :D

Local norms vary widely. Always get informed by local pros before you decide what to take or what not to take with you.

Also, if you haven't been diving for 15 years I would highly recommend a refresher course before you go to Bermuda.

R..

Thanks I will consider it.:D

Thanks I will consider it.:D

Note that many dive ops will REQUIRE someone who hasn't been diving in a long time (15yrs would qualify) to have completed a Scuba refresher. Better to get it out of the way at home rather than waste valuable vacation dive time in Bermuda.

I don't know specifically about Bermuda, but it is true that some places don't allow gloves and knifes, but usually the alow zknifes. Here in Brazil if you go to protected area like Fernando de Noronha and Abrolhos is like that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom