What else do we need

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nwcid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So if you have read any of my other post me and the GF just got our OW not to long ago. Outside of OW we have only dove 2 days (a Sat/Sun) the weekend after class.

The first stuff we had was all of our exposure protection snorkeling stuff.

Last week on the black Friday sales we ordered 2 sets of HOG regs. We also bought a pair of good used BP/W that are on the way. A couple weeks ago we got a pair of Oceanic Veo 100's (on console with compass/spg) because the price was right and now we basically have matched gear. So for major gear all we have left to get is tanks. Living where we do it is cheeper to have the tanks then the drive to rent them, we can get local fills though.

So the next stuff we need are all the little odds and ends. Not sure what all we need though. Could I get a list of somethings we need and the order of how useful/needed they are?

Last edited:
The first thing I would put on your list is a light. A lot of our waters are deep at depth, and this time of year, the window of significant light in the water is short, even if the viz is good. Start with a good quality backup light, and eventually move up to something bright and focused enough to cut through murk AND work for communication. It reduces diver stress in NW waters a ton.

If you intend to do any boat diving, I'd get an SMB and spool, and learn how to deploy it. Since almost all of our charters are live boat, it's awfully handy to be able to give the boat an early heads-up as to where you are and where you are going to surface.

Something to write on is handy when something underwater gets too complicated for hand signals. This can come up with navigation, or with problems. A wrist slate or a book of wet notes can save a dive, if an issue can be worked out underwater. Otherwise, it may get frustrating enough to thumb the dive.

The other thing I'd start accumulating now is a good save-a-dive kit. Things like a set of Allen wrenches, a ScubaTool, some spare o-rings and an o-ring pick, and some zipties, will save a lot of dives.

I'm guessing you already have spg and octopus(alternate air source)
hood/gloves for cold water
torch for night diving
may want a camera for obvious reasons
surface marker buoy for indicating position to boat
compass for navigation
dive knife for possible entanglements
weight belt, unless your bp/w is integrated, usually the hire weight belts are just blocks of lead, you can get weight belts with pockets for comfort and even use soft lead weights
maybe a dive writing board for underwater communication

obviously the core gear is exposure protecture bcd regs/octo spg/computer tank mask fins weights - outside of that is just additional gear
if you are only going on trips with a divemaster or on a boat you wouldnt need half the stuff mentioned

Always look forward to reading your posts when I see them.

Some of the things I have thought about are:
Lights, small for now due to price
Was not sure about SMB/spool but sounds like something we should end up with at some point
A slate would be good, I will have to research what people like and why
I was going to start a post on some kind of "spares kit" but if it fits in this post that would be good too
How about some kind of cutting tool

Just trying to avoid buying stuff that looks cool on line but has limited use and just ends up in a pile in the closet.

The first thing I would put on your list is a light. A lot of our waters are deep at depth, and this time of year, the window of significant light in the water is short, even if the viz is good. Start with a good quality backup light, and eventually move up to something bright and focused enough to cut through murk AND work for communication. It reduces diver stress in NW waters a ton.

If you intend to do any boat diving, I'd get an SMB and spool, and learn how to deploy it. Since almost all of our charters are live boat, it's awfully handy to be able to give the boat an early heads-up as to where you are and where you are going to surface.

Something to write on is handy when something underwater gets too complicated for hand signals. This can come up with navigation, or with problems. A wrist slate or a book of wet notes can save a dive, if an issue can be worked out underwater. Otherwise, it may get frustrating enough to thumb the dive.

The other thing I'd start accumulating now is a good save-a-dive kit. Things like a set of Allen wrenches, a ScubaTool, some spare o-rings and an o-ring pick, and some zipties, will save a lot of dives.

Correct we have all of our core gear minus tanks. I did add that our computers were consoles after your post because they do have the compass and SPG on them.

We will be diving on our own a lot with some trips. Most will be fairly shallow (less then 50 ft) in some of the local lakes.

I'm guessing you already have spg and octopus(alternate air source)
hood/gloves for cold water
torch for night diving
may want a camera for obvious reasons
surface marker buoy for indicating position to boat
compass for navigation
dive knife for possible entanglements
weight belt, unless your bp/w is integrated, usually the hire weight belts are just blocks of lead, you can get weight belts with pockets for comfort and even use soft lead weights
maybe a dive writing board for underwater communication

obviously the core gear is exposure protecture bcd regs/octo spg/computer tank mask fins weights - outside of that is just additional gear
if you are only going on trips with a divemaster or on a boat you wouldnt need half the stuff mentioned

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom