What duplicate items do you carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point of carrying an extra mask is so:

1) You can continue the dive and possibly find your missing mask.

2) Goes along with 1, but there is no point in diving without a mask because you can't see squat.

3) Both of these can be used for you, or your buddy.

:)

sea nmf once bubbled...
My question is this: didn't we learn that we can dive without a mask? I mean, most of us learned to swim and opened our eyes underwater long before we learned to scuba dive. And how necessary is an extra mask on the dive?

My mix instructor justified carrying a spare mask by telling the story of the time he had to do an hour of deco without a mask.

Tom

Well, I bring an extra knife, shears and weights but I don't bring them on the dive.

But, I always carry my backup light with me when I am doing a deep or night dive.

So from the replies, it seems that if you are doing dives that require decompression, then it may be LIKELY that you will lose you mask and need a spare for the deco stops. It seems that whether or not to carry one on the dive would depend on the type of diving you are doing.

My original question: How many of you (yourselves) have ever lost a mask during a dive? And if so, what caused it?

sea nmf once bubbled...
My original question: How many of you (yourselves) have ever lost a mask during a dive? And if so, what caused it?
I have never "lost" a mask on a dive, but I have given mine away on occasion to folks who were having trouble clearing theirs, or had a broken mask.
Rick

I lost a mask last Tuesday. Went back Thursday to find it but didn't get lucky. Fortunately it was one that my dive buddy had found on the dive and handed to me to carry. It slipped of my arm somewhere. Still have the sunglasses and golf ball though.:)

• Redundant first and second stage regulators on an H-valve post
  • A second computer
  • Redundant lift (wings, SMB and sometimes drysuit)
  • An extra boltsnap

Sea nmf-

I belive there are two more practical reasons to take a spare mask:

1) if someone FORGETS his mask, you'r covered.

2) It dosent take as long to switch mask than to repare broken straps. And with some masks it's hell to replace straps.

Abnd besides- I never lost a mask (that is, in water. I lost one once after a dive. It fell from the vehicle we were driving back to the LDS and I noticed only when we arrived), but I did find quite a few masks in sea. Which means some people do lose their masks.

sea nmf - I've lost my spare mask, does that count?!

Always carry one, especially after an incident several years ago when some guy lost his mask - so the story goes it came of when doing his entry and what people think happened is he tried to chase it down. Should not have been a problem as there is a 6m shelf there but this was feb and the water temp was 4 degrees C (fresh water). Got to the bottom and decided he didn't like that cold water on his eyes and bolted - with reg in holding his breath. Sadly he is no longer with us for the sake of a 30GBP mask - he could have asked his buddy or borrowed a mask.....

As to the rest of equipment it varies....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom