what do you wear under your wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The second reason is one I'd like to ask your opinion about. Would wearing a rash guard help me put the wetsuit on?

A couple of suggestions:

1. What kind of lining does your wetsuit have? If velour, then putting on the wetsuit is easier if you and the suit are both wet (better), or both dry.

2. When I first started diving (late 1980's) and people were wearing wetsuits that lacked a lot of the stretch and velour linings that many of today's wetsuits have, people would sometimes wear pantyhose (on legs) and over-the-calf-hose (on arms) to help them don their wetsuits.

3. I have been watching a lot of free-diving videos lately. Some of those divers wear a two-piece skin-in suit (I think) with a built-in hood and a beavertail, and they use a spray bottle (of soapy water?) to wet both themselves and their wetsuits to aid donning.

Good Luck,

rx7diver

Speedos that go down to a couple inches above the knees.

What do you wear under your wetsuit?

Nothing -- or something, like a dive skin top, in the event that I have to don the wet thing again . . .

I wear the Mako shorts just above my chicken legs

A couple of suggestions:

1. What kind of lining does your wetsuit have? If velour, then putting on the wetsuit is easier if you and the suit are both wet (better), or both dry.

I don't own a wetsuit yet, so it's not always the same. I'm still an unexperienced diver, and I've never paid too much attention to the lining of the wetsuits I hire, so I cannot tell you whether velour is what they usually have. I'll try the "both wet" option, since "both dry" is how I've been doing it all the time till now.

Thanks!

Would wearing a rash guard help me put the wetsuit on? Getting dressed for a dive lets me exhausted.
Yes. Thumb loops aren't necessarily necessary to prevent bunching up. A long sleeve rash guard tight in the sleeves (not uncomfortably tight) may not bunch up at all.

Not to change the direction of the thread, but carrying a couple of plastic bags (like Walmart) to put over your feet/hands when slipping on a wetsuit will make it easier to do. Just a tip until you get your own wetsuit.

Lycra bike shorts or jams if not skin. Depends on who is on the boat and outside temp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom