What do you use to hold your octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using this clip on both my personal and rental gear and it works really well. This is the only clip that I have found which keeps the gear in place and allows students easy removal and replacement during AAS exercises.
I have tried most other solutions and this is my favorite :)

The problem with these types of clips is that they allow the hose (whether SPG or AAS) to slide through. As such, they barely 'retain' the AAS at all - it still dangles way below the diver!

That's dangerous with an AAS... which should be held (the regulator itself...not the hose) in the front 'triangle' of the torso for immediate identification and access in an emergency.

This is even evident in the picture of the clip posted as an example.

I've seen some divers who've added a zip-tie to the hose to prevent it slipping.

Given the extremely simple concept being tackled, I think it's a very bad design if it needs user modification to any component for it to work properly :(

Last edited:
Well not to let the cat out of the bag, if you just put the strap through the plastic D ring of your shoulder strap, put mouth piece in snug up tight. I would give a pic but camera software is gone from computer and I like it that way for awhile.

If you have a stab jacket obviously it wont work, and if BP/W you would need the deluxe harness from Dive Rite or like.

So for those divers with shoulder straps there is no cost what so ever and you will see how it works great.

I dont know, many clips that I have used allow the hoses to move freely but these seem to do the trick for me... Maybe I will try the Snorkel Keeper again in my next OW course...

It is held tight with bungee. When you need to deploy it, you just pull and it comes out. The clip will stay on your BC.

There is no velcro.

I use one of the "terrible" semicircular "ball" octo holders, that seem to be getting trashed on this thread. Admittedly, mine was a gift from a non diver friend....But, it works for me, and has not been a problem.

A question regarding using a snorkel keeper: I thought that the process was simple-put the keeper through a D-ring, thread one loop through the other to secure it, then stretch the "free" loop around the mouthpiece (as shown in photo earlier in this thread). I saw a guy try this, and he was successful in getting one loop attached to the D-ring, but looked like he was wrestling , and losing, when he tried to get the other loop over his octo's mouthpiece. In fact, he partially pulled the mouthpiece off from the reg, and had to re-zip tie it.
The question: do I have the process wrong? or was he using a "too small" snorkel keeper? or was he just clumsy??

The necklace bungy cord works me.

I have tried a variety of the other options of the years. Somehow I either manage to break them or someone they failed to hold the AAS securely and I ended up looking like a schmuck with a dangling AAS dragging the bottom. The few that worked tend to hold the 2nd stage upside down and thus tended to free flow when I first hit the water. Almost never happen with the 2nd on a necklace.

dilbert-sarcasm-supportiveness-difference.jpg

If I didn't think you had a sense of humour I would not have posted that. :)

I appreciate your commentary and opinions.

Since everyone is posting their favorite holder, here's my Oscar winning, Mr. Bean approved octo holder:

IMG_0660.jpg

I tried every type and this one works the best. The top is a simple nylon cord loop that controls the position, and the mouthpiece fits into the bungee loop below, which is tightened by the cord stop. You can buy these cord stops at fabric stores like JoAnne's. It's easy to replace the reg if pulled out, and you can adjust the tension of the bungee loop with the cord stop.

Last edited:
Many things were discussed here about octo holders. There are also link to this other thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom