What do you use to hold your octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Aqualung Pearl BCD is equipped with an "Octo Pocket"...best thing since sliced bread!

this is how I tie mine using 3/16 bungee cord:

Tying a regulator necklace - YouTube

another option is this:
MNTRN.jpg

There are other options, DiveRite makes an adjustable one, however I am not particularly fond of this one since it creates (imho) an unnecessary loop behind your neck that I think is an entanglement hazard (although a minor one). I say unnecessary, since I just tie mine at the exact length that I like it, and there is no need for adjustment.

As for the strangulation question, I there is a small chance you could get wrapped up in it, although if your regulator snags, it will just pull out, so the only danger is if the necklace itself snags, and the longer the necklace, the more chance there is for this. I wear mine about two inches from my chin (when tilting my head forward). I also think that in an entanglement situation, it would be fairly easy to remove it and drop it, or cut it with your knife.

The bungie used to hang you reg is quite elastic. Jest regular thin bungie cord, so your risk of strangling is pretty much non existent.

Your primary, that you would donate does not need to be the 7ft long hose for recreational diving, as you very likely will not need to exit a situation single file, which is the reason for the 7 ft. 5 ft seems to be popular in recreational when you are using a long hose and bungied back up.

I found as soon as I put my back up on a shorter hose, and bungied it on my neck, where I NEVER have to worry or search if I need it, that I really liked this system far better than what I originally trained on. My old recreational rig with the alternate clipped off on my chest tended to occasionally pull free in surf and even boat entries. No issue retrieving it, but now it is not ever going to be an issue at all! My alternate is on my neck, and if my primary is not in my mouth and in use, it is clipped to a D ring on my chest.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2012 at 08:57 AM ----------

I just spotted this You tube video on how to tie the adjustable bungie knot, after you have tied the bungie to your mouthpiece

---------- Post added April 17th, 2012 at 08:59 AM ----------

I just spotted this You tube video on how to tie the adjustable bungie knot, after you have tied the bungie to your mouthpiece

---------- Post added April 17th, 2012 at 09:00 AM ----------

An earlier discussion of the idea of the bungied reg becoming a choke hazzard

All about the backup regulator necklace [Archive] - ScubaBoard

I agree, 5' is plenty long enough for the primary in a rec setup.

I will also mention that I think it is best to seek out an instructor that can show you how to use the long hose/bungee back up system, and to make sure all your buddies are aware of this system during the predive check

Thanks nimoh/gypsyjim for the video and the archived discussion on the necklace, and all who provided their views. Much i have learned in a short time. Spread the lessons i shall. Indebted I am.

Thanks nimoh/gypsyjim for the video and the archived discussion on the necklace, and all who provided their views. Much i have learned in a short time. Spread the lessons i shall. Indebted I am.

Always willing to listen, and learn, and to pass along what I have learned from others. This sport has come an awful long ways since we were using just one second stage, no BCD, no spg, etc, and all along the way I have met fellow divers willing to share their hard earned knowledge with other divers.
One thing that makes the sport of scuba diving so much fun, is that willingness to share it with others.

I have used the octo plug and have not had any problems with it staying attached. Small and plugs into the opening of the octo and the mouthpiece helps hold it in place.

My current preferred rig is:
An apex egress- the best of the hockey puck style, breathes either way up and is compact.
On a 44" miflex hose that runs under my right arm and onto a necklace, convenient for me or anyone needing it!

Under my chin on a necklace. It's ALWAYS there. Always!!

I have tried a few different octo holders but I can't seem to find one that actually holds the octo. My octo seems to fall out of every holder I have tried. I use a HOG D1 as an octo with the stock mouth piece. Any suggestions? I have not tried a necklace yet, any thoughts on a necklace?

Thanks for your time

I use one of the "terrible" semicircular "ball" octo holders, that seem to be getting trashed on this thread. Admittedly, mine was a gift from a non diver friend....But, it works for me, and has not been a problem.

A question regarding using a snorkel keeper: I thought that the process was simple-put the keeper through a D-ring, thread one loop through the other to secure it, then stretch the "free" loop around the mouthpiece (as shown in photo earlier in this thread). I saw a guy try this, and he was successful in getting one loop attached to the D-ring, but looked like he was wrestling , and losing, when he tried to get the other loop over his octo's mouthpiece. In fact, he partially pulled the mouthpiece off from the reg, and had to re-zip tie it.
The question: do I have the process wrong? or was he using a "too small" snorkel keeper? or was he just clumsy??

i too too used to have the ball type octo holder and it worked fine for me it never fell out but was a pain in the a$$ to get back in. When your practicing skills that ment once you pulled it out it was not going back in. I took it off my bc when I did my dry suit in air temp of 5 deg and water temp of 40 deg. It was soo hard I could not get it in. Im working on my DM and it is going to be important that it is easy to octo back in holder.

---------- Post added January 18th, 2015 at 05:38 PM ----------

I have used the octo plug and have not had any problems with it staying attached. Small and plugs into the opening of the octo and the mouthpiece helps hold it in place.

My octo came with a plug and I never tried it...I'm going to have to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom