What do you suggest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good alternative to Apeks can be SP MK17/G250V but you have to take into consideration the cancellation of their parts for life and their parts ain't cheep, money wise if you want to keep the same level of spending you will have to service it once in 2 years.

Apeks are a great choice for the cold waters of Canada. The DS4 XTX50 is a great combination and will not break the bank. HOG's are a lower cost option and their D2 ( Similar to a DS4) has 2 high pressure ports as do their D1's which are similar to the DST, make sure you get the environmentally sealed version. A dive buddy with a Scubapro MK25/S600 had multiple freeflows is sub 40 degree water and finally switched to an Apeks.

a lot less money?
Personnaly, I would stick with the Apeks.

with the XTX, you can change the side to wich the hose is coming out of the 2nd stage.
I don't think there is an adjustment knob.
The hose routing from the 1st stage, will be a bit different. Both are great reg.

300$ difference

Is that $300 difference between the XTX 200 and the Titan ?
The AquaLung counterpart to the 200 would be the Legend.

Probably very similar price between the Titan LX Supreme and XTX 40.

scubasam1212:
If you ask most people at dive shops what they dive, Ive found they would say MK25/S600 from scubapro (even if they dont sell scubapro).
LOL "Now that 's funny right there" (with apologies to Larry the Cable Guy)
Exactly. Of course, what else, besides humor, would you expect from a (Scubapro) dealer? Candor? Objectivity? Accuracy?

Scubapro gear is excellent. It would be among the choices that the OP should consider. But, a nonsense post like this actually undermines the credibility of the brand, and probably reduces the likelihood that the OP will consider Scubapro. First of all, the statement is ridiculous. Second, the particular combination mentioned would not even be necessarily the best for the OP.
elan:
A good alternative to Apeks can be SP MK17/G250
A much more reasonable recommendation for the OP in the SP line.

As opposed to all the cold water regs out there that are easily sealed, don't eat as much christolube, and are built for use with nitrox mixes high in O2?

A new M1 can be snagged on here or eBay for $400-500, and used ones for $300-400. Plenty of room in the budget for the every 2 years maintenance costs.

Too much hassles with sealing it, and it costs about 50-60CAD here just !!! for the crystalube.

I'll put a plug in for the Sherwood Blizzard as being a good value for your money. I own 3 of them and they perform quite nicely here in the frosty Great Lakes. I would most certainly trust them under the ice anytime.

The Blizzard doesn't have the fancy knobs and bling that the Auqualung and the Apex that you mentioned have so is therefore easier on you budget and will still last as long.

On a side note, when it comes to ease of breathing, because I'm sure someone will mention that sooner or later when comparing regulators... I've tried few regs over the years both "high" and "low" end and have never been able to tell a quantifiable difference. Despite the marketing hype, I'm not so certain most humans can really discern such differences regardless of what a bench testing machine is saying. The Blizzard has certainly never left me gasping for air.

Back
Top Bottom