What do you suggest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to go with Apeks, you don't need to go with the XTX 200.

The combo XTX50/XTX40 (octo) with DS4 first stage is the best.

No compromise on the quality and a bit less expensive than the XTX200.

Works perfectly under the ice.

You won't outgrow them, even if you go down the technical road one day.

That's what I have and it works fine with me. For sure everybody will say that their own set of regs are the best.

I read that XTX50 and DS4 only have one high pressure out. If I want to buy a remote computer later on I would need 2

Take a look at the Scubapro MK17 ( DIN or yoke )/ A700. It has two HP ports.

The MK17 is high performance, balanced diaphram that is enviromentally sealed.

Great for both warm & cold water!

the DST first stage has 2 HP port.

I'm currently using an Atomic B2 reg, but I still want an Apeks. Definitely go with the XTX series... Environmentally sealed, overbalanced, hardy and don't need to be serviced but once every 2 years.... Not much to complain about. Really the only difference between the 50 and the 200 is whether or not you want a swivel on your first stage

Take a look at the Scubapro MK17 ( DIN or yoke )/ A700. It has two HP ports.

The MK17 is high performance, balanced diaphram that is enviromentally sealed.

Great for both warm & cold water!

Is it true that with Scubapro you need to have a full scuba prokit to get the full warranty?

with the Apeks, the spare parts are free for life if you service your reg each year at an authorized dealer.

I personally use Atomic M1's and love them!! If I wasn't diving them, then I would be using SP MK17/G250 or Halcyon H50D/Halo. I am not a fan of the SP 700a because you need a Torx Wrench to take the front cover off, it does not just twist off. Yes that is true about SP. Only get Free parts every year if you purchase full set up (BC,Reg,BC, Computer). Atomic & Halcyon suggest service every 2 years so even with paying for parts it works out to slightly less money then getting it serviced every year.

Marc-André Couture;6205965:
I would like you suggestions on what Reg I should be buying...!! . . . Now I only dive in the warm water during trip in the south but would like to start diving more in Canadian water.. much colder and maybe later under ice... . . . budget around 800 to 1200$ . . . Maybe I'll buy a wireless dive computer later and maybe a Dry....
You want an environmentally sealed, 'mid-range' regulator with 2 HP ports and at least 4 LP ports, in a brand line that can be easily serviced at a location near you. There are literally at least a dozen (or more) regulators that would fit the bill in terms of cold-water suitability, appropriate performance, and port number, with the 'local service' aspect being a factor to help narrow the field. And, you can certainly get what you want for substantially less than $800.

Having said that, start by narrowing the field on the basis of available local service. Do you have a LDS that you like dealing with, that is close to your location, that has earned your respect? If so, what lines do they carry? Even then, you may ultimately end up in a 'coin toss' situation, because you may find that there are several available brand lines that are locally serviceable.

Some personal preferences: Apeks regulators are certainly 'high performance' regulators, in general. I have a number of them, and can easily recommend them. In the Apeks line, the XTX 50 with the DST first stage is probably the best choice, because it has 2 HP ports. I personally have never found a turret to be useful, but a number of people like them. If the DS4 had a second HP port, I would recommend that, but the DST will fit the bill. I wouldn't spend extra money for an XTX200, even though I own one.

Zeagle regulators haven't been mentioned so I will add that name to the mix. They are very functional, and although I have a number of Zeagle 50Ds, my personal favorite is a Zeagle DS-V, with two ZX second stages.

Subapro regulators are also very popular, on the basis of perfomance and durability.

The list can go on, but if you have an available Apeks dealer, you won't go wrong with the Apeks brand line. About the only major brand I would personally stay away from is Mares, and then ONLY because it seems their parts availability is unpredictable. I have a Mares MR12 regulator which is a great unit, performs well, is durable etc. And, the shop where I teach is a Mares dealer. But, it seems like virtually every Mares order is 'shorted' on something, It is frustrating, and I can't recommend the line for that reason alone.

I agree with Colliam7.

I was giong to mention the Zeagle line, they are very good regs.

Back
Top Bottom