What do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelmadness

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been diving for 5 years, but I have always rented. I only go out once in a while, so it was never worth owning... but I would like to start diving frequently so I'm ready to buy gear.

I live in Southern California. I've got the fins, mask, booties, gloves, hood, wetsuit, etc...

I need to get the whole BC, reg., guages, tank, computer, etc.. set-up.... probably a new gear bag too.

Money isn't really an issue, but I don't like to overpay for things. I would like to find the best bang for my buck, but I don't want cheap stuff. I've been reading a lot about BP/Wing set-ups, but for some reason I am leaning towards a back inflating BC. Maybe it is because I am just used to the traditional BC I have always rented. I don't plan to travel much, if at all, with my gear, and I'll do most of my diving in the moderately cold water of southern california.

Please give a few suggestions on a good quality set-up that will last me for at least a few years. I would rather spend more money now, than replace cheap stuff...

ok....let me be the first to tell you to get a bp and wing. I dove a Seaquest pro qd for a while and it was great....but i switched to the DiveRite transplate with adjustable harness and wish i had started there....but then...now i have spare bc.

Go to the DiveRite site and see which tecrec center is near you...or go to
www.northeastscubasupply.com and check out their deals. All is DR and all is fully warranteed. Plus they ship. I got the $449 deal and it works great.

As far as computer....doint nitrox??? gonna??? then get a computer that does air and nitrox both....
regs??? if money is no problem...go atomic....i use aqualung and diverite...money is important to me...

its just me...but i hate split fins...and yes i have a pair i never use....get some good fins
bags??? if you come to NC to dive.....you need something you can fold up and put under a small boat bench...no wheels...it depends on where you are diving....i use an armor extra large mesh bag....
im sure you will get other suggestions...good luck

Is there anything a BP/wing can't do that a traditional BC can do? I'm wondering why I don't see more people with this set-up? Is it just because it is a new trend?

I should say that money is important to me, and I hope it is to anybody, it is just that I'm willing to spend what it takes to get quality gear. I've noticed you can save yourself money in diving by actually spending more money.

Are there any southern california divers that know some shops to check out BP/wings? I'd love to rent one before I decide...

travelmadness - there is nothing a "regular" bc will do that a backplate can't. It's actually the opposite - a plain bcd can't do as much as a backplate.

And it's actually pretty old technology - it's been around for a loooong time. The reason you don't see a lot of people wearing them is because they are considered something for the technical crowd and not pushed on the recreational divers. I seem my shop doing the same thing - they always push the rec gear, instead of pushing the backplates. But pretty much everyone I know has switched over to a backplate after diving one for a little while. They are comfy, versatile and crazy durable.

For regs and Octo I recommend Apeks, absolutely bulletproof and the sweetest breathing regs I have ever breathed off of. For California diving I would look at the atx50 or the atx200.

For BC's (unless you go with a BP/wing) I would recommend the Sea-quest line there Black Diamond and Balance are great BC's. I personally use the ProQD+SL (jacket style) and love it. Scubapro and Zeagle both have some nice BC's.

Hope this helps
Having your own gear is the only way to dive.

Here we go: (my choices from a REC point of view, if you ever want to go DIR, note the equipment you are buying, since DIR has specific requirements)

BP/W (best bouyency control/comfort, number of options here, search this board)
http://www.extreme-exposure.com/halc/backplate.shtml

Suunto Mosquito Computer
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=SQTMQ

Apex ATX50 Reg
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=SQTAATX50
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=SQTAATX50O

OMS Pressure Gauge
http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...emIndex=73&CategoryID=957&Context=954&Filter=

Oh, pickup a steel tank too............

Scubatoys is also an option............

What do you recommend?

That is a loaded question. You are going to get so many responses.

I personally use an Atomic B2. I love it. Yes it is a little pricey, but to me it was worth it. (layaway for me). I dive a Seaquest Pro QD+, but would like to go to the Balance. I use the Suunto Vyper, but would suggest the Cobra or Vytec. Good luck and stay Wet.

murphdivers286:
That is a loaded question. You are going to get so many responses.
I meant to ask a loaded question. I want all the advice I can get. I like to hear different opinions... Thanks everyone for your $0.02! Keep the ideas coming...

I get Rodale's Scuba Diving magazine, and I've got some back issues laying around, what do you guys think of their equipment reviews?

travelmadness:
Is there anything a BP/wing can't do that a traditional BC can do? ...

Yes, there are a number of things a BP&Wing cannot do.

A BP&Wing has no pockets, therefore you cannot easily carry emergency gear with you, like a rolled up sausage, spool and line, and signal mirror. Sure, you could hang those on your D-rings with a BP&Wing, but then you would look like a salmon fisherman. Or you could leave these emergency items at home, but then you would be empty handed if you ever needed them.

A BP&Wing can be stuffed in your travel bag, sure, no problem. But an all-fabric technical B/C can be rolled up, is lighter, and easier to stuff, for travel.

Shop around, take a look at the Zeagle and the Scubapro B/C&Wing configurations, and compare them with your BP&Wing options. Talk to the store owner who you will be travelling with on trips, too. See what he/she says about the choices.

Hey, here's a little plug for cool_hardware52, he makes BP/Ws. If you can make it down to Laguna Beach on Saturday Aug. 28, he's going to have a Demo Day and you can try out a BP/W, I have never tried one so I'll be there playing, too.
More info on the demo day: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=66897&s=

Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom