What do you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelmadness:
murphdivers286:
That is a loaded question. You are going to get so many responses.
I meant to ask a loaded question. I want all the advice I can get. I like to hear different opinions... Thanks everyone for your $0.02! Keep the ideas coming...

I get Rodale's Scuba Diving magazine, and I've got some back issues laying around, what do you guys think of their equipment reviews?

Another loaded question...........Rodale's is a forbidden word around here. The equipment reviews is in fact sale pitches, total BS..................

ShakaZulu:
Another loaded question...........Rodale's is a forbidden word around here. The equipment reviews is in fact sale pitches, total BS..................

I guess the hardest decision i'll make buying all this gear is choosing BP/wing or traditional BCD.... The reg, computer, guages, etc.. choices won't be as hard for me.

Tank size recommendations?

Tanks - the bigger the better :)

Seriously though...stay away from aluminum. They are cheap, but small and don't have the best buoyancy of tanks...

I like the Low Pressure Steel 104's (as Pressed Steel calls them...) or the 108's (as Faber calls them...). I have a set of doubles from Pressed Steel (104's) and I have two of Pressed Steels E8-130's - they are pretty much a regular ol' LP104 with a new DOT rating that lets them get cranked up to 3500PSI for 130 cubic feet. I like them A LOT. They let me do some really long dives.

I should also add...even though I completely blew off aluminum tanks, I want to tone that down a little bad. Aluminum 80 tanks aren't all that bad - it's just that I don't really like them that much. I've used them, and like my steels better for weight and capacity. But if you can get a good price on some 80's, I wouldn't rule them out.

I just re-read my post and thought I sounded a little too negative :) If you can get the steels, go for them is kinda what I meant to say.

I think there is one is one thing a bp and wing set up can do that a vest cant...and that is get rid of the wrap around bladder and give you more unobstructed movement and freedom to the front. While my SQ Pro QD is a great bcd and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a vest bcd (but with velcro...not the surelocks) the feel of bp and wing is just radically different to me.
Whatever makes one happy!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom