What do you do with scallops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite way to cook them is to keep the big shells and them put 2-3 scallops on the shell with some lobster meat and shrimp and any other seafood you can find. the put some bread crumbs over with butter and a hint of brown sugar mixed in. then put strips of bacon over to keep moist. bake and eat out of shell. Its wicked good.

Scallops - lots of lbs
cream cheeze
scallions - cut into many little disks
cocktail sauce
Ritz crackers, coctail crackers, wheat thins, chips..pick your flavor

OK.. this can be done with crab meat to, but sautee the scallops and minced garlic in butter. I should mention, the scallops should be cut up.. I've tried both before cooking and after and it doesnt make much a difference.

Now, open ye olde brick of cream cheeze and flip it onto a plate. Pour the cocktail sauce over the cream cheese, cut up scallops on that, and the onions over it all. Smash it together some with a spoon or fork and then dish some onto your favorite flavor chips. Repeat until full.

I have to apologize ahead of time for this one but I need to get this out of my system.
Everytime I see this thread on the new posts I think, "I EAT them...that's what I do with scallops". It seems that I am not alone.
OK now I feel better and I won't post here again unless other wise asked to do so.

Dee:
I love them fried but have given up fried food so what other ways are scallops good? A little butter and seasoning in a non-stick pan was OK, although I got them a little too done. But I'm hunting something else, more flavorful...or something....
Any ideas?

They're YUMMY!

You could try a really quick pan sear. It works great and only uses a touch of oil.

The recipe is on my web site at:
http://bupkis.org/index.asp?file=/recipes/Seared_Scallops.html&dir=/recipes/

Pay no attention to the non-diet pesto garlic-pizza recipe hiding near by :cool:

Terry

Blacken the scallops in some olive oil, with ginger and garlic, sea salt and red pepper flakes...then toss them in a salad made of romaine, spring greens, mandarin orange slices, scallions and crispy chow mein noodles...toss with some gingery vinagrette dressing and it's soooooo delicious!

Just thought I'd say that after my earlier post I have to recant :11:

My other half and I went last weekend for a 7 course meal and I thought I'd give them another go.

Different establishment and they were gorgeous :10:

So here you are , you can teach an old dog new tricks, glad I gave them a whirl again.

Before anyone asks, they were cooked very simply but the texture was what I expected and the taste was just different again totally.

Thought I ought to let ya'll know, after you went to so much trouble to convert me. YOU HAVE !

awesome! i love scallops, probably as much as shrimp, and only silghtly less
than oysters

The Sauce:
2 C. Chicken stock with dried Porcini mushrooms. Simmer until reduced by half. Place in blender and add 1/2 stick of unsalted butter. Blend. Salt and pepper to taste.

Get a saute pan hot, add 50% light olive oil and 50% butter.Wait until butter goes brown. Sear scallops on both sides. Pull from pan and slice in half. Center should still be raw. Pour 1-2 oz of sauce onto plate and place scallops in sauce. Drizzle truffle oil onto sauce and scallops. Garnish with a spoon of caviar.

Dish takes about 20 minutes to do (mainly for the reduction)

Hint: If you have just brought a whole bunch of fresh black truffles from France and don't know what to do with them - then replace the porcini's and do a truffle nage.

Back
Top Bottom