What do you consider cold?

What do you consider "cold"?

• Not until you need tools to get to it.

Votes: 65 20.7%
  • 40F

Votes: 92 29.3%
  • 50F

Votes: 62 19.7%
  • 60F

Votes: 51 16.2%
  • 70F

Votes: 39 12.4%
  • 80F

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 98.6F

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my ex wife

My coldest so far was 48 F in a 6.5 mil wetsuit. Stayed in for 55 min and had cold feet when I got out. Wouldn't want to go colder though. Thinking about dry suit training.

under 70 is VERY cold....

And I am supposed to do a Rescue Course in a 55 degree quarry in a couple of weeks ;-0
I guess I will play the victim perfectly well :wink:

I've dove as cold as 42F, and it's pretty darn cold. A 20-minute dive in that is enough. I am very comfortable in my heaviest wet suit getup down to around 50F so that's not a problem. I guess until I get a drysuit and full-face mask, I'll consider below 50F cold!

As has been pointed out, cold depends on what you're wearing...

Without a wetsuit:

90F is warm. Sometimes too warm, especially if what you really want is a nice refreshing swim.
80F is generally comfortable.
70F is chilly, but if the sun's out, and you've been working hard (say after a day of backpacking) it's about perfect.
60F is cold. Especially if you were expecting something several degrees warmer (Gah! They've drawn-down the reservoir to below the thermocline!!!)
50F is numbingly cold.
40F is "get in, get wet, get out" in under a minute.

On the other hand, with a nice 2x7mm wetsuit:

60F is quite comfortable. Heck if the weather's cold and rainy (or really hot and humid) it may be more pleasant than whatevers on the surface.
50F is "please pass me my hood and gloves", but generally pretty good, at least for an hour or so.
I don't think I've been colder than the high-40's... you start feeling exposed flesh get numb, but as long as the suit doesn't leak, your core stays reasonably comfortable. Mind you, that's only for a short duration.

With a drysuit, I can only theorize, but since a good snow-suit will keep you warm in air-temps down below -40F (plus windchill on top of that), well, I think you'd have a hard time getting water cold enough to be an issue. Double-layers of long-undies though :)

Jamie

Other than a trip to the Keys last year, 70 is the warmest
I've ever dove. Lake Supreior and Lake Huron get to 70 on
the surface in August. 3 thermoclines down it's 40.
I wear a 7mil wetsuit and don't get cold for some reason.;-0

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I dive all year. The only question is wether or not I need my chain saw. If it is to nasty outside (air temp/wind) I might skip it.

That is a picture. I couldn't imagine diving in terms like that. I was born and raised (well till 4yrs old anyway) in West Virginia and Illinois. I really can't recall what it was like to have more than the two California seasons of summer and fall.

(I do remember making angels in the snow in Chicago.)

I just purchased a 7MM Akona Titanium suit and I've dubed the thing "The Furnace". I went diving in 60 Degree water and it was almost to warm for me. Excellent suit. I don't know but I could probbaly go in to much colder water and I'd be just fine but of corse everyone is different. You can't enjoy yourself if you're cold.

:snorkel:

T-2

I chill easy, so anything below 70F is cold. However I've done it.

The outside air temp has as much to do with it as the water temp as well as the duratition of the cold water stay. I can dip below a thermocline to 40F for a time until my face begins to numb if I can ascend and warm up. In the summer it's less of a problem, and can be refreshing.

Now I was just at Gilboa the past weekend and drove through a snowstorm to get there. With an outside air temp between 33F and 42F it was COLD! The SI was the hardest part of diving wet. I began to chill before I got in the water, and had to walk briskly to the car after getting out to head to the shower. I managed two dives on Saturday and one on Sunday before I had to leave. The water temp was 52F and I managed to last for half an hour on each dive. Warmer would have been better, but I was after some training before I go to Bonaire (tomorrow!). That will feel VERY warm after the quarry. If I continue to dive in cold weather I'm getting a dry suit. Those folk had it much easier on the SI, just unzip and toss on a coat and hat.

David

Back
Top Bottom