What do you consider cold?

What do you consider "cold"?

• Not until you need tools to get to it.

Votes: 65 20.7%
  • 40F

Votes: 92 29.3%
  • 50F

Votes: 62 19.7%
  • 60F

Votes: 51 16.2%
  • 70F

Votes: 39 12.4%
  • 80F

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 98.6F

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

42 degrees is the coldest I've done...I was dry, but numb lips aren't much fun. Somewhere around 45 degrees the water becomes much much more tolerable. I don't think I want to get below 40 degrees unless it's some really good diving. Even so, I marked 50 degrees as cold. My body knows when I've hit a thermocline that breaks 50 F...which is quite frequently out here and in the freshwater lakes of NY/VT. Lake Champlain was 48 degrees in June at 65 feet.

Our high is about 70-75 °F in the summer and about 50° below the thermoclines.

winter about 34 -38° F is routine.

Spring time and fall 45 -55° F is routine.

Mike D
:blfish:

AaronBBrown once bubbled...

Where the hell is that?

That was in Palau, at the dive site Blue Corner

42 degrees is the coldest I've done...I was dry, but numb lips aren't much fun. Somewhere around 45 degrees the water becomes much much more tolerable. I don't think I want to get below 40 degrees unless it's some really good diving. Even so, I marked 50 degrees as cold. My body knows when I've hit a thermocline that breaks 50 F...which is quite frequently ...
AaronBBrown nailed it for me. Below 50 becomes a short dive.

as mentioned already, for me, anything less than body temperature is cold :cold:

i get so cold so quickly it isnt even funny ;-0

Get a dry suit or a real thick wetsuit. I get cold easily, too, but am fine in the cold New England ocean with my drysuit (which isn't always so dry).

i HAVE a drysuit, dryhood & drygloves :(
what i need is a submarine :rolleyes:

Well I used to be a florida wuss below 70, I didn't get in. Then I spent some time in Jersey and my friends told it was either a dry suit or concrete booties. I opted for the drysuit and haven't found the limit yet. I'm going to try Canada Ice diving this winter.

devilfish once bubbled...
Slushy ocean soup, 28 F just above freezing. I would have to be pressed hard to do it again.

Back in '94 I had to Dive in Long Island sound in the middle of january(had to re anchor a few docks at my friends marina).. It was one of the copldest winters I could remember.. The water(very salty) was slushy on the surface and my dive computer showed 27 degrees.. Its an experience I don't wish to repeat.. I've done plenty of diving in the mid 30s and it never bothered me... a few degrees can really make a differance..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom