What do the ToS mean to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, sometimes the controversial threads bring out some of the best information! Making people marshal good arguments to defend their points of view is incredibly educational (and there's some education there when they can't do it, too :) ). Discussions can be very heated and still constructive, as long as everybody addresses the topic, and no one descends into personal jibes.

You can often tell if a thread is going off the rails, if you see several posters responding to one another line by line. That usually indicates somebody's irritated, and having people do that often irritates others. It's something I watch for, as a moderator. Those posts have to be read carefully to make sure they're civil!

Can you handle a bit of constructive criticism? Try speaking only for yourself and not seeing yourself as some kind of people's representative. It can sometimes lead to an over inflated sense of self worth.

One of the problems is that things like "insulting" and "mean spirited" are highly subjective. Some people get indignant and offended at merely having their statements corrected or rebutted. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, insults are often in the ear of the listener.

I like the point Selkie made, that "I am the only one in control of how I feel about something". I think you'll find it easier and more productive to change yourself than to change the world. Keep in mind the old schoolyard saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me".
Well she spoke for me and two other people I know personally so if she has an inflated sense of self on this issue it is well earned but I don't read it that way. IMO there is not enough information to make that judgement of this member.
I believe it is vital to have someone speak up and cause me to do a reality check every once in a while and thanks to livinoz for having the strength of character to do that.
I have learned some valuable information here..... Report Button ..... the pledge.... brilliant stuff.

Oh, sometimes the controversial threads bring out some of the best information! Making people marshal good arguments to defend their points of view is incredibly educational (and there's some education there when they can't do it, too :) ). Discussions can be very heated and still constructive, as long as everybody addresses the topic, and no one descends into personal jibes.

You can often tell if a thread is going off the rails, if you see several posters responding to one another line by line. That usually indicates somebody's irritated, and having people do that often irritates others. It's something I watch for, as a moderator. Those posts have to be read carefully to make sure they're civil!

I totally agree that passionate debate can be a good way of learning. What I have found hard myself (and I am speaking ONLY for myself) is the descent into argument; it has put me off reading some threads that probably had good information somewhere in them, and it has also prevented me from posting questions, so far. I'm not timid, but I do find it hard to wade through the more "difficult" stuff to find what I want. I guess this is a learning experience for me though and I'll have to accept that every forum has its limitations and deal with it appropriately.

Well she spoke for me and two other people I know personally so if she has an inflated sense of self on this issue it is well earned but I don't read it that way. IMO there is not enough information to make that judgement of this member.
I believe it is vital to have someone speak up and cause me to do a reality check every once in a while and thanks to livinoz for having the strength of character to do that.
I have learned some valuable information here..... Report Button ..... the pledge.... brilliant stuff.

Thanks. I guess I wanted to have my say about this issue....and now I have.:)

Livin .. I too have thought the same as you, wondered how many are afraid to post, afraid to ask questions ... sometimes you may need to speak bluntly if a practice is blatantly unsafe, but more times than not, it's a about a difference of opinion
A previous post I made on this ...(apology to do it easy for quoting him)

....*snip*

I don't think this thread is about the Surface Interval, but the SI is a good example of the attitude needed to make a Mild West area work. People post as friends in there, even if they are taking jabs and joking around. I post in there and I don't worry about 2 dozen people flaming me because they don't agree with my opinion or they disapprove of my post. For example, there was a discussion about reels a few threads ago- several people threw down their 2 cents about reels- divers with different backgrounds, different training, and different opinions. It was civil and didn't blow up into "My instructor can beat up your instructor." In my opinion, the threads in there much more respectful of differing opinions.

I think the SI forum is the best part of Scubaboard- it's a smaller, more perfect retreat from the big board.
Civility .. Friends talking to friends .. Discussions that can be had that don't degenerate into hissyfits and name calling ... That is what is sometimes lacking in the Board "out here" at times ... anyone here for any length of time will pick up on it and I wonder how many do not post their questions because of it.
And that is what is good about the Surface Interval .. I can ask, and feel free to ask without reservation, any questions, to my friends there, most of whom have vastly more diving experience than me, some of whom are very much DIR, and get thoughtful, insightful answers without any judgmental stuff.
Yep, sometimes the Surface Interval posters "spill" out to other threads with hijacks , but I think there is something more important that comes from there too .. how to talk to each other

DB

Well there ya go, you just demonstrated perfectly how some people can find insult or offense where none was intended. I was not making any attributions about any specific person. There was no judgment made. I was speaking in general terms that "it" can "sometimes" lead people who feel they are representing others to believe that their posts therefore carry more weight.

Livin .. I too have thought the same as you, wondered how many are afraid to post, afraid to ask questions ... sometimes you may need to speak bluntly if a practice is blatantly unsafe, but more times than not, it's a about a difference of opinion
A previous post I made on this ...(apology to do it easy for quoting him)

I think you're right. It's easier in an atmosphere that promotes friendly conversation rather than controversy.

You can often tell if a thread is going off the rails, if you see several posters responding to one another line by line. That usually indicates somebody's irritated, and having people do that often irritates others.
Maybe it means someone needs a good beat down.

It's something I watch for, as a moderator. Those posts have to be read carefully to make sure they're civil!
Don't worry...its always civil.

TSandM:
You can often tell if a thread is going off the rails, if you see several posters responding to one another line by line.

What does "off the rails" mean?

TSandM:
That usually indicates somebody's irritated, and having people do that often irritates others.

Naw, it usually indicates someone is trying to be specific as to exactly what they are responding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom