What do the ToS mean to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a good point. I think it is human nature to notice the few bad apples more prominently than the many many good ones. I too have been put off on a few occasions by the "bad vibes". However, I then try to tell myself that I am the only one in control of how I feel about something.

"If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Not sure who first said this, but it is one of my personal mantras.

So, please stay and learn and love the sport with the rest of us who can manage to be respectful. Ignore the others.

Cheers,
Lilla

I intend to learn to ignore the others! Thanks!

Overall, I find the people on this board to be friendly and considerate. The glass isn't half full here, it's 99.9% full. I learn a lot from spirited debate (some of it I believe actually saves lives), and I try not to mistake passion for rudeness.

Could things improve? Sure. But spend some time on rec.scuba and the posting here will read like a glass of ice water in the desert.

I do get confused when people complain about people who complain. :wink:

Here is an old thread I posted in 2005 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wh...ting-voice-you-arrogant-jerk.html#post1045335

I liked your post, looks like many of us have had the same challenges. And I agree about the huge difference between SB and the mostly unmoderated sites. I have also noticed a correlation between lack of diving and poor posting (happens on mountain biking sites too when rain drives us all off the trails and on to the internet :wink: :D )

I'm quite aware of the vagaries of the internet and the problems associated with "voice" in a written medium, but I believe we can always strive to do better. As someone said earlier, maybe a more judicious use of the "report" or "ignore" functions might help. All I know is that I initially found some of the "arguments for the sake of them" very off-putting, but I'm still here and I'd like to encourage other newbie's to stay and the "lurkers" to join in.

The normal worldly restraints are not physically capable of be included in the communication dynamic of an online forum. The various filters that our minds are accustomed to reacting too, for some, require that physical component. Thus the one liner pot shots, normally left by males, see higher rates of frequency as do the more lengthy unisex flame jobs. It takes some intellectual maturity to keep the ego from taking the lead in this kind of environment and some people just are not developmentally there yet. Some never will be. That's part of being in an online social world.

I'm new here too, and as of yet haven't really developed anything resembling a friendship with anyone. Still, I can come here and gain an invaluable amount of knowledge that is not available anywhere else in such an easily absorbed format. My point is that we weigh the good with the bad and take from life that which we can along the way.

A tough chin, a well manored dialogue ... and good judgment on where you post ... will go a long way in helping you to fit in. Look at the regional section for people from your area and get to know them. It's a good start.

The normal worldly restraints are not physically capable of be included in the communication dynamic of an online forum. The various filters that our minds are accustomed to reacting too, for some, require that physical component. Thus the one liner pot shots, normally left by males, see higher rates of frequency as do the more lengthy unisex flame jobs. It takes some intellectual maturity to keep the ego from taking the lead in this kind of environment and some people just are not developmentally there yet. Some never will be. That's part of being in an online social world.

I'm new here too, and as of yet haven't really developed anything resembling a friendship with anyone. Still, I can come here and gain an invaluable amount of knowledge that is not available anywhere else in such an easily absorbed format. My point is that we weigh the good with the bad and take from life that which we can along the way.

A tough chin, a well manored dialogue ... and good judgment on where you post ... will go a long way in helping you to fit in. Look at the regional section for people from your area and get to know them. It's a good start.

I've met a few of the Aussies on here and they're all great, as are a few of the other people who've "friended" me. I'm slowly getting used to the attitude of the more "difficult" posters. I had limited experience on a board of this size so I guess I was shocked at first, but I know for a fact there are some other people who have posted here who are quite upset at some of the replies they received, and that's not good. I think we can always try to improve, whether it's here on the 'net, or in "real life" as we term it. Just my 2 cents worth! :)

I'll be sticking around don't worry. I was speaking up on behalf of a few people who are definitely put off by the attitude shall we say of the "vocal" minority. But you're right, they are absurd, and I'll have to learn to shrug it off and laugh at them more!

Can you handle a bit of constructive criticism? Try speaking only for yourself and not seeing yourself as some kind of people's representative. It can sometimes lead to an over inflated sense of self worth.

One of the problems is that things like "insulting" and "mean spirited" are highly subjective. Some people get indignant and offended at merely having their statements corrected or rebutted. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, insults are often in the ear of the listener.

I like the point Selkie made, that "I am the only one in control of how I feel about something". I think you'll find it easier and more productive to change yourself than to change the world. Keep in mind the old schoolyard saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me".

Can you handle a bit of constructive criticism? Try speaking only for yourself and not seeing yourself as some kind of people's representative. It can sometimes lead to an over inflated sense of self worth.

One of the problems is that things like "insulting" and "mean spirited" are highly subjective. Some people get indignant and offended at merely having their statements corrected or rebutted. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, insults are often in the ear of the listener.

I like the point Selkie made, that "I am the only one in control of how I feel about something". I think you'll find it easier and more productive to change yourself than to change the world. Keep in mind the old schoolyard saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me".

Okay. No worries.

Well now, this thread seems to have come full circle. If you have any questions, as Rick or TS&M :wink:

Seriously, there are those who get really brave with the anonymity of the internet, its nothing new, its been going on since I started playing with forums in 1985. I think the hardest part of 'net posting is remembering not to assign feelings to other peoples words and just read whats posted as whats posted. Then again, there are those who easily convey their feelings in the words they choose.

From a Mod standpoint, if you feel something was mean spirited or just doesn't belong, use the report button :D

You'll always end up at the end. :):wink:

I didn't think of it in those terms. :11doh:
I guess I should have wrote, "Alot of of people were able to get in before I could even finish my short reply".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom