What do divemasters get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemasters only get paid when guiding from the shop and by tips. Otherwise, their income consists of pats on the back (which if one is not careful winds up being a kick in the arse). One of the local shop owners complain about divemasters getting airfills for the courses they are assisting. This owner thinks divemasters should have to pay (there are two other owners who out vote him).

Depends on the country. In many countries DM's earn quite a good salary and do not require tips to get by. In some countries tipping is an insult, in Australia DM's are known to refuse tips as they are well paid. A dive master working for a business does not pay for tank fills at any place I have ever dived in. Obviously not the USA.

What do divemasters get? In general it works out to : A bottle of MD 20/20, 3 cans of Chef Boyardee ravioli, and abused by the instructor and students.
You might get a free frie or two from an instructor if you hang around while they eat.

I got $300 Canadian (about $225 US at present) for a two weekend OW Course. That comes to about minimum wage in Canada. Of course I also got free air and discounts at the shop (15%). It's always been a pet peeve of mine the vast majority of DMs (at least in N. America) working for free (I don't count the "perks). They ruin it for everyone. A "dive Pro" is considered "professional". Professionals in my opinion don't work for free. There have been many threads on this over the years, one that got into the definition of "professional". I don't buy the "Oh, I just love diving and want to give back" Give back? LeBron James donating a million bucks to a HS Gym is "giving back". You are supposed to love your work/career (I know that is far from true a lot of the time). Doesn't mean you should do it for free. Musicians are the same-- "Play in my lounge for free beer and exposure". Crap, take a gig and get paid.
When you consider the costs of insurance and agency membership as well as possibly gas, these people are paying TO work. I taught Band for 19 years and enjoyed it most of the time. I didn't do it for "perks".

I got $300 Canadian (about $225 US at present) for a two weekend OW Course. That comes to about minimum wage in Canada. Of course I also got free air and discounts at the shop (15%). It's always been a pet peeve of mine the vast majority of DMs (at least in N. America) working for free (I don't count the "perks). They ruin it for everyone. A "dive Pro" is considered "professional". Professionals in my opinion don't work for free. There have been many threads on this over the years, one that got into the definition of "professional". I don't buy the "Oh, I just love diving and want to give back" Give back? LeBron James donating a million bucks to a HS Gym is "giving back". You are supposed to love your work/career (I know that is far from true a lot of the time). Doesn't mean you should do it for free. Musicians are the same-- "Play in my lounge for free beer and exposure". Crap, take a gig and get paid.
And how long ago was that - 15 or 20 years?

What do divemasters get? One thing they get is a huge liability insurance bill. And if your net worth is more than a million dollars, the cost for added insurance above the minimum is staggering. So, free air fills don't amount to anything. You may be able to get some dive gear at a discount through the shop, but again it doesn't offset the insurance cost.

If you are a divemaster, make sure you are assisting a good instructor and not one risking liability lawsuits.

I've seen some DMs in the tropics guiding dives who surely make some decent money from tips, but just assisting instructors won't do it.

So, from my perspective, the only reason to be a DM is if you just enjoy the teaching aspect. Some students even think you are smarter than an instructor. After all, you are a "master":)

I enjoyed it for awhile, but the expense and liability made no sense.

The other thing a divemaster gets is revenge! You save one of your cans of Chef Boyardee ravioli and take it with you on the boat in marginal weather. Just when the students are ripe, you take it out, start eating it cold in front of them. See who can hurl the furthest, see who's gear bag gets filled up, see who gets their shoes soiled. Revenge,... priceless.

Downside, they will probably make you clean it up later.

People who regularly dive inland small lakes, quarries, and the Great Lakes are generally self sufficient divers and don’t need to be led about by the nose. We do our own thing.

*Real* trips? Jesus H f’ing Christ.

And it’s PAID, not payed.

Sorry. English is seventh language I am learning. I will remember spelling.

Back
Top Bottom