What do divemasters get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are better ways to make money, good money, diving. Find a commercial operator looking for help. One of the reasons I got certified back in the 90's in the place was because we had such a hard time finding divers. Most of the ones we did find didn't last more than a week or so and they were very well paid.

On a smaller scale, you can do underwater swimming pool repair and dock repair. Not hard work and pays either by the hour or by the job. Being a DM or instructor seems like a lot of money for training and insurance with high liability exposure and low pay.

There are better ways to make money, good money, diving. Find a commercial operator looking for help. One of the reasons I got certified back in the 90's in the place was because we had such a hard time finding divers. Most of the ones we did find didn't last more than a week or so and they were very well paid.

On a smaller scale, you can do underwater swimming pool repair and dock repair. Not hard work and pays either by the hour or by the job. Being a DM or instructor seems like a lot of money for training and insurance with high liability exposure and low pay.
If only it was this simple…

I'd kinda just like to have a DM card. But I don't want to do no dive masterin'.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been cleaned up. Please remember that Basic is a Green zone. Insulting language and/or posts will not be tolerated. Off topic posts will/may be removed. If and when you see a post that you find offensive in these regards, the proper response is to report it, NOT comment on it within the thread unless your response is to address information that appears to you, to be incorrect.

The only thing I got is lots of experience.... Scuba Diving doesn't pay much money unless you're 'invoicing' tenths of customers several times a day.

I personally did it because I liked the lifestyle, not as a carrier -I tried though :)

The only thing I got is lots of experience.... Scuba Diving doesn't pay much money unless you're 'invoicing' tenths of customers several times a day.

I personally did it because I liked the lifestyle, not as a carrier -I tried though :)
Looks like an incredible lifestyle if you can afford it :)

I have seen a lot of DM's that are in it for the comradery. I understand that, you get with a group of like minded people and "help out" around a shop. You get to feel apart of.

I have a few friends that love it. They can't really explain why, but it shows that they really enjoy it. I think for some it's the feeling of being a part of diving when you're not really diving?

Personally it's not for me. I don't have the time and if I did I'd rather spend it under water. Just different strokes for different folks.

I have seen a lot of DM's that are in it for the comradery. I understand that, you get with a group of like minded people and "help out" around a shop. You get to feel apart of.

I have a few friends that love it. They can't really explain why, but it shows that they really enjoy it. I think for some it's the feeling of being a part of diving when you're not really diving?

Personally it's not for me. I don't have the time and if I did I'd rather spend it under water. Just different strokes for different folks.

That's why I did it years ago. I really enjoyed the instructors and fellow DMs for a time. I never made any money. Actually, I lost money as my additional expenses easily surpassed what I made in tips or doing scuba refresh classes. I did that for about 2-3 years until they retired from teaching. After that it just wasn't fun anymore so I stopped doing it. It was NEVER about making money.

That's why I did it years ago. I really enjoyed the instructors and fellow DMs for a time. I never made any money. Actually, I lost money as my additional expenses easily surpassed what I made in tips or doing scuba refresh classes. I did that for about 2-3 years until they retired from teaching. After that it just wasn't fun anymore so I stopped doing it. It was NEVER about making money.

None of the few people I know make any money at all. It's all for the glory, lol.

I also see some shops prey on people that are looking to be apart of something. Really depends on the shop. I get it, they need to make money and if someone shows up wanting to be a part of something for free why not take advantage. Doesn't make it right, but I see that a fair amount too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom