What do divemasters get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive masters get a tag by the name on scuba board tho not a single person including mods can tell you how that happens!
Secret Squirrel stuff. When it is your time, you shall know.

As a DM I was tipped by the instructor's I helped out. I got gear discounts from the shop (not on everything though), free air and sometimes I would get few bucks from doing discover scuba or leading groups. The shop covered liability insurance at the time. Financially it was not adding up so I did not stay a DM very long.

As a DM, I get paid to go assist with classes in the quarry a few hours away. Its not amazing pay, but I more view it as "breaking even on a dive day." The shop I work for pays more than the other local shops. I really enjoy assisting with the courses (they are kept small and slow) and I really like helping students with the same anxieties I initially had really get comfortable and enjoy diving. The shop pays for my entry and air, and normally feeds me lunch/dinner after wherever we decide to eat. The pay I get becomes "gas to get to and from the quarry" money, plus snacks. I try to carpool with the instructor most of the time (which means no using my pay on gas money), so sometimes I come out with a little money that goes right into my "scuba fund." I come out a little bit more ahead on pool sessions as I don't need to dump money into gas.

I of course get gear discounts, as any other DM. Another "perk" I get is if I am not scheduled to assist with a course at the quarry, but the instructor is down there with a class, I can tag along and still get my entry paid. I can then go do my own dives, or occasionally dive with some stray that wanders into the quarry without reading the "no solo diving without a solo cert" rules...The quarry will allow them to try and tag along with a shop when they go to check in with no buddy. I get a rando dive buddy for the day, and have occasionally gotten tips for that.

I have a well paying "normal" job, and I cannot see managing to pay bills as a DM in a "non-ocean" area around here. I do it for the fun, the experience, and to justify putting money into scuba gear (if I made the money doing scuba work, it goes back into scuba...or so is the justification I use with my wife). I also just dive a lot more than I would if I were not working as a DM. I can justify going to the quarry every weekend (because "I Am Working").

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom