What dive computer should I get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wes, are you looking for a dive watch or a dive computer (which can also be watch style)? It's not the same thing, and I suspect you would be better off with a dive computer. Refer to drrich2's post #28 where he gives a very nice overview on dive computers. The G-shock will not give you no deco limits, log your dives etc...

Also, what kind of diving do you do or plan to do? What courses have you taken or do you plan to take? That would help a lot in determining which computer might suit our needs.

well i want a dive comp that looks fairly nice that is under 300$ i plan to do recreational simple diving 90 feet. i might take advanced open water and nitrox

I think any modern entry level dive COMPUTER would do fine for you. There are quite a few nice suggestions in the thread. A watch style computer would be more expensive, and doesn't do that well as a everyday watch. A dive watch is more common among technical divers, who create their own dive schedules and just need a watch to time their stops. As a recreational diver, you would need the added funtionality of a dive computer.

My personal take is that the Suunto Zoop and Mares Puck are popular models for beginners, but I personally would choose the DG03, as it is cheap, but high quality, and will still be useful if you should get into slightly more advanced diving later.

P.S. As a diver, I've learned quite early to sacrifice looks over functionality. Nobody looks good in a wetsuit anyway. :wink:

My personal take is that the Suunto Zoop and Mares Puck are popular models for beginners, but I personally would choose the DG03, as it is cheap, but high quality, and will still be useful if you should get into slightly more advanced diving later.

Can you explain further:
- What are the cost you have seen that make the DG03 cheaper?
- how do you assess the quality to be higher?
- what features does the DG03 have that make it more useful if you should get into slightly more advanced diving later?

It is always good to back such statements with some fact, then we can all see if that is a reasonable judgement.

The DG03 has a gauge mode, easy to use with computer generated tables. It also has a DSS mount made for it. In addition, if I was buying a recreational computer, I would avoid Sunnto's proprietary version of RGBM.

The Mares puck has gauge mode as well. No DSS bungee mount though. I am not familiar with the Zoop.

I would think the biggest advantage is the DG 03's ability to switch up to three different gasses.

The DG03 has a gauge mode, easy to use with computer generated tables. It also has a DSS mount made for it.

The Mares Puck has gauge mode (bottom timer), the straps are held on with pins so bungies (if needed) can be used quite easily - saying that the strap is good and works well with a wetsuit not sure how it would be with a dry suit. Mares Puck can be bought for about 60% of the price of the DG03.

An image of Puck bungee http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...alyzers/372752-mares-m2-puck.html#post5771293

I am not suggesting that the DG03 may not be a better computer, I am just trying to get beyond the such as 'higher quality', 'cheaper', better or 'advanced diving'. these need to be qualified if they are to be of value to readers of the forum, they should not be read at face value.

Not to many people buying a recreational computer will want bungies or will expect to switch gases, but at least stating this gives the reader a clear difference to consider.

I want one that i could wear a lot that would look nice

You won't find such a thing, unless you set the bar pretty low for "looks nice."

Besides... why do you need a dive computer when you're not diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom