What did you learn from your very last dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

today i learnt that even dive sites that you have dived a hundred or so times still rock when you find something different and totally unexpected!

I learnt that P&S cameras can have a surprisingly good video function.

Last night I learned that I cannot clip a reel to my butt ring with the small sized clip and the fat XXL winter dry gloves I switched to for the cold season. Aughhh!!!!

(repeated like a mantra) I will not switch to a bigger clip, but learn to use the small one with the big gloves. I will not switch to a bigger clip, but learn to use the small one with the big gloves....

Last Friday I learned that my underwater navigation skills need some practice. I tried navigating from the United Caribbean to the Sea Emperor, located off the Deerfield Beach, FL pier. Didn't compensate for the current and missed the mark. Badly.

Next time I will try it again.

My last dive was the town pier in Bonaire. My brother and my two autistic sons spent a week diving and had scheduled the dive for Wednesday evening and were approved by the harbormaster. However, when another group tried to be added to the permit, the harbormaster denied the permit because a Dutch navy ship had come into port. They finally left on Thursday, we reapplied and the earliest we could get permission was Friday night. Of course our flight was for 11am Saturday. Ok for the 12 hour rule but not for the 24 hour rule for multiple dives. (We had done 23 dives to this point) While my sons refused to break the rule although it was only a 30 feet dive for only 45 minutes, my brother and I went ahead. My sons both are high functioning autistic teenagers and are very rigid about rules and procedures and doing things by the book. While I am very proud that they held to their guns and refused to dive, I am glad my brother and i dove that night.

What did I learn?

When you have a once in a lifetime opportunity, be smart about your actions, but break the rules anyway. I'll try to attach a couple pics from the dive to show why it was worth the risk. PICT0084.jpg

PICT0118_edited.JPG

PICT0122_edited.JPG

PICT0112.jpg

Awesome frogfish shot!!!!

I learned that just because the dive op says I don't need a safety stop, and the tables say I don't need a safety stop..... doesn't mean I don't have to do one. For the first time I skipped my safety stop and the ick feeling in my gut tells me not to do anything I'm not comfortable with again.

I learned that natural navigation is a much easier task when you have 50+ feet of visibility.

I learned that even if you're diving in 60 degree water and a 7mm wetsuit, it still gets cold after long (or deep) enough....and if it's not blazing hot outside, the surface interval doesn't help warm you up as much as you'd like.

:DI learned that my bouyancy control is better than I thought and I use more different kicks during a dive than I thought:blinking:
After viewing some of the videos from another thread I decided to use my next dive to check myself out on these. I don't think of bouyancy and kicks much .... I just tend to do what comes naturally now. It's good to be comfortable but not good :no:to be running on automatic pilot too much.:shakehead:

I also learned that you can have a great dive when everything seems pretty ordinary as far as conditions, viz, temp etc...

I learned that not all fins are created equal. I may never leave my JetFins!

I learned that not all fins are created equal. I may never leave my JetFins!

At the risk of sounding stupid... what exactly are jetfins?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom