What Did You Do About Fins With Your Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks AJ, clarification noted. We did some easy dives at Jackson Blue. It was a busy day on the Mill Pond because of Thanksgiving weekend. I have some good mentors helping me with the move to a drysuit.

Easy there, I don't have a problem with the question at all, or you, or your drysuit, or wetsuit booties, or anything. I think its a fine question wherever you post it. I think you got good advice (bigger wetsuit boot) and took good advice. Im also glad you had a good dive, where did you go?

I think saying that drysuit boots should be stiff with laces is silly. Clearly, they do not need to be. I guess I should have quoted "techintime". Sorry for the confusion.

Your questions here have to be 100% cave diving related. I really don't know why you haven't been banned yet for such a flagrant disregard of correct posting etiquette.

For shame.

(glad you got your fins sorted :))

Not really so (I know you were just being sarcastic) ... but the forum you post a question in will have some bearing on the type of answers you will receive.

It's often the case that the most desireable solution to a gear issue will depend on the environment in which you're diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Let me rephrase the question...why are dry suit boots of a stiffer construction than wet suit boots (generally made of stretchy neoprene)? Both work fine for "walking on rocks". They are stiff and have laces so that they can be tied tight to prevent air expansion in the dry socks (good for trim and for keeping your fins in place). And let's remember the genesis of this thread...a new dry suit diver is looking at options for what kind of fins/boots to use. Although it can happen to anyone, a new dry suit diver is more likely to get into a bouancy control problem than a more experienced dry suit diver...the very situation I warn could also result is the loss of his fins.

There are some passages we travel where you have to go heads down feet straight up and the problem you mention doesnt exist. Glen has some very good people helping him, he got good information.

To the OP, this was a good question any you got some good advise.

To Techintime, find me a diver that has had the problem you describe. Drysuit boots are stiffer so you get more foot protection. Walking on ice was uncomfortable with wetsuit booties so I switched. No other reason.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom