What Did You Do About Fins With Your Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like this idea...I will try that tomorrow! Thanks Rob

Be careful with the wet suit boots. Dry suit boots are stiff abd have laces for a reason...to prevent gas expansion in your drysocks. Most wet suit boots are pretty stretchy and the risk is that if your bouancy starts to get away from you and inflates your legs, (the classic feet first drag to the surface) the stretchy wet suit boots could allow expansion in your dry socks and pop your fins off of your feet at exactly the time you really need them to right yourself and vent. Recommend testing it to see.

Be careful with the wet suit boots. Dry suit boots are stiff abd have laces for a reason...to prevent gas expansion in your drysocks. Most wet suit boots are pretty stretchy and the risk is that if your bouancy starts to get away from you and inflates your legs, (the classic feet first drag to the surface) the stretchy wet suit boots could allow expansion in your dry socks and pop your fins off of your feet at exactly the time you really need them to right yourself and vent. Recommend testing it to see.

Really?? Have you tried diving with wet suit boots? Because I have about 500 dives in 3 dry suits (2 different brands) with wet suit boots and have never even come close to having this happen. And my left boot zipper comes unzipped on almost every dive!

Yep.

When things go a bit very much like they're not supposed to, the forces of air will combine with the forces of evil and will shoot that boot and fin right off real good and they don't even have to be Rockets or Jets.

But I'm pretty sure not so much in a cave.

With all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about. Alot of divers use wetsuit boots, including several public safety divers I know. This is a non-issue, just like the feet first runnaway ascent. If you don't know how to get out of that position, please have someone show you before you dive dry.

I have dove both ways, with lace up boot and drysuit socks. I like the boots better because I get less squeeze and because of the harder sole.

FWIW, I wear a size 11 Rockboot, and ordered a pair of XL OMS slipstream's. They didn't fit. If you pick these, might I suggest that you try them on before you buy.

I currently use Turtles, which are significantly more heavy than the OMS.

i use a large jet wet, and an xl jet dry. the foot pocket was *very* snug on the l but workable...the issue was that the blade was too small to push me through the water. i looked like a struggling bumblebee.

i know others can use larges, but not me.

I have a size 15 shoe and 4x boots on my dry suit I had to get the biggest jetfin that they make. Love it.

Holy crap Jason. I never noticed your monstrously huge feet before. You shouldn't even need fins, just get ankle selas and let those babies hang out the legs. You'll fly right along like a seal! :eyebrow:

I use XXXL Turtles on my DUI suit with rock boots, and XL Slipstreams on my Santi suit with turbo soles. A while back I tried a pair of XL Hollis F1's on my Santi and really didn't want to give them back. They have very ergonomic foot pockets ... actually made for human feet ... unlike the Slipstreams, which were really made for people who have 2x4's on the end of their legs.

As for using wetsuit booties ... they're pretty popular up here where I'm at ... and almost everybody here uses a drysuit. The ones that seem to get the most attention are the SeaSoft SunRay's ... although if you're an EE width they're a bit tight in the forefoot.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dive F1 size R for both dry and wet. I have built in shoes with my drysuit.

With all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about. Alot of divers use wetsuit boots, including several public safety divers I know. This is a non-issue, just like the feet first runnaway ascent. If you don't know how to get out of that position, please have someone show you before you dive dry.

I have dove both ways, with lace up boot and drysuit socks. I like the boots better because I get less squeeze and because of the harder sole.

Call it unlikely if you want, but it has happened. Dive however you want to, but I'm not the only one advising against it. Why do you think dry suit boots exist?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom