What Did You Do About Fins With Your Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For walking on rocks and/ or making up for lack of skill?

Let me rephrase the question...why are dry suit boots of a stiffer construction than wet suit boots (generally made of stretchy neoprene)? Both work fine for "walking on rocks". They are stiff and have laces so that they can be tied tight to prevent air expansion in the dry socks (good for trim and for keeping your fins in place). And let's remember the genesis of this thread...a new dry suit diver is looking at options for what kind of fins/boots to use. Although it can happen to anyone, a new dry suit diver is more likely to get into a bouancy control problem than a more experienced dry suit diver...the very situation I warn could also result is the loss of his fins.

Let me rephrase the question...why are dry suit boots of a stiffer construction than wet suit boots (generally made of stretchy neoprene)? Both work fine for "walking on rocks". They are stiff and have laces so that they can be tied tight to prevent air expansion in the dry socks (good for trim and for keeping your fins in place). And let's remember the genesis of this thread...a new dry suit diver is looking at options for what kind of fins/boots to use. Although it can happen to anyone, a new dry suit diver is more likely to get into a bouancy control problem than a more experienced dry suit diver...the very situation I warn could also result is the loss of his fins.

... if a diver's buoyancy control is that poor, he shouldn't be asking the question in the cave diving forum ... because he shouldn't be considering cave diving. And if you have good buoyancy skills, then transitioning from a wetsuit to a drysuit is a matter of a few dives.

The majority of cave divers I know don't use stiff boots ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yup, diver is asking what kind of boots to get. Great. Why this is a cave question eludes me, but thats not really the issue here.

Drysuit boots are silly and not needed (exemption for walking on rocks and stuff), esp not ones of stiff construction which might limit ankle movement. If you *need* boots because your suit has a sock (sub-ideal, imo), get a wetsuit boot and be done with it.

Srysly, if you need special little booties to allow you to dive a drysuit, you're wrong. Get something that fits properly, learn to dive a drysuit, and magic! Your fins don't pop off!

Up here we dive both dry and wet (mostly dry)........

All my dive buddies have two sets of fins, no one I know uses the same fins for both wet and dry diving.......

At least that is our experience........

M

I use same fins for both as do most of my buddies... I use wetsuit booties (but have had a drysuit with in built boots in the past, fins still fitted) with my drysuit and never have had the problem of fins shooting off my feet. :S

Good grief...if you don't like the question then don't respond. I am the OP and I was not asking specifically about which boots are best. I was asking how people dealt with the fin issue when moving from wet to dry. I got many good responses that were very helpful.

Why you see the need to come in an informative thread and lecture us on what you think is a legitimate cave question is beyond me. It is not a "cave question", it is a question about tools I am using to go cave diving. If the question is "beyond you" then don't lecture and clutter the thread. Just move on and allow the helpful information to continue.

Yup, diver is asking what kind of boots to get. Great. Why this is a cave question eludes me, but thats not really the issue here.

Drysuit boots are silly and not needed (exemption for walking on rocks and stuff), esp not ones of stiff construction which might limit ankle movement. If you *need* boots because your suit has a sock (sub-ideal, imo), get a wetsuit boot and be done with it.

Srysly, if you need special little booties to allow you to dive a drysuit, you're wrong. Get something that fits properly, learn to dive a drysuit, and magic! Your fins don't pop off!

I took Dive-aholic's advice and used the larger wet suit boots last weekend. They worked great and I was able to use my current fins. Thanks to everyone for the great information...it made for a great day of Cave Diving!

Easy there, I don't have a problem with the question at all, or you, or your drysuit, or wetsuit booties, or anything. I think its a fine question wherever you post it. I think you got good advice (bigger wetsuit boot) and took good advice. Im also glad you had a good dive, where did you go?

I think saying that drysuit boots should be stiff with laces is silly. Clearly, they do not need to be. I guess I should have quoted "techintime". Sorry for the confusion.

Good grief...if you don't like the question then don't respond.

Your questions here have to be 100% cave diving related. I really don't know why you haven't been banned yet for such a flagrant disregard of correct posting etiquette.

For shame.

(glad you got your fins sorted :))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom