What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what your financial situation is but DUI is doing a 12 month same-as-cash promotion. I just saw the ad in this month's PADI Sport Diver magazine.

Was it in the June or July issue? If I could do payments, I could probably afford a drysuit. I'll look at DUI's site at any rate and see if I can find it, thanks for the tip!

ScubaPro Air2. I never use it and it is awkward for sharing air.

Mmmm...It's interesting how many people hate their Air2. I have a Genisis Gemini Air2 and yes it can be bulky at times but I do like it better than the octo. The thing with Air2 is this, you have to buy it for a different reason than most people think. I agree that as a buddy sharing device it's not the best. I bought my Air2 because it's just for me in case my primary fails (it is not for my buddy in an out of air situation).

2) Integrated octo - when we'd tried it before, it was just a few seconds in the pool, and not terribly uncomfy. But using it for more then a minute or two, and wow it's super uncomfy, plus working the inflate/deflate buttons are just plain clumsy while sharing air.

I'm hoping people aren't making the same mistake I made when I first tried sharing air with an integrated octo (Air2) during my open water cert dives. I couldnt figure out for the life of me how I was supposed to get my buddy to breath off the Air2 since the hose was so short, it seemed like a very awkward maneuver...until my instructer showed me that YOU breath off the the Air2 and you give your buddy YOUR primary regulator. I felt like an idiot :lotsalove:

The gargantuan Tusa Liberator X 4-window prescription mask that was so big on my face that it would slowly slip down over my upper lip over the course of a dive. A fine mask for bigger heads, but not mine.

I like almost all of the gear I have bought, probably because: i) I only bought stuff after concluding that I needed it on a dive; ii) I did not buy anything until after my first half dozen dives; and ii) I only dive three times a year so I have lots of time to think things through before I buy. My only regrets are buying wrist mounted accesories (compass, computer) which I have moved to BC clips, hoses, retractors, etc. as even with gauge readers in my mask my wrist is still a little "too close" for easy reading.

A cheap underwater camera (that wasn't really so cheap!). Go for the megapixels! Take your time and find the right camera. In hindsight, I think find the camera you like and see if you can get an underwater casing for it. Don't buy it like an all in one.:dork2:

Lets see bootys without zippers once,a mask with magnifiers built in the bottom,a wetsuit for my still growing daughter,a steel 95 tank with h-valve,[the rollover is ridiculous]I should have gotten an h.p 100 as a single tank[7inch vs. 8 inch]plus some shops will only fill the lp95 to the specs stamped.A bottom timer[prefer 2 computers]a few crummy lights,Ithink thats it.

"I won't say that I completely *regret* puchasing my SpareAir, but I do think in retrospect it is unnecessary. So are pony bottles. Your pony bottle/spare air/etc. is on your buddy's back. If you don't get more than a short swim away from your buddy, you don't need the darned thing.

Since I have it, I go ahead and carry it, but I don't let it be an excuse to leave my buddy. I would consider it useless below about 40 feet. I don't advise buying it.

just my 2psi
--'Goose"

Why would you consider it useless below 40'?

So far, I regret buying my dive skin. I thought I'd wear it on the boat to prevent sunburn, but getting in and out of a wet wet suit is too much of a PITB to bother w/ it. I use it when snorkeling, but I'd rather go diving.

- Wngdwolf

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom